Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Sometimes I wonder what goes into the decision making process when deciding to cut or sign a player. The timings of when to sign or cut a player are not always made when you expect them to.

For example Coco was at the rookie mini camp on May 6th/7th but he wasn't signed until May 18th. What stopped them from signing him right away after camp? Why risk him getting signed by another team?

My guess is during that gap they brought in more tryout long snappers that went completely unreported and this is why they took their sweet time before making the decision to sign him.

Another example is Packers signing kicker Eberle on Feb 22 giving them three kickers on the roster and yet they waited all the way until May 20th to release Molson. The rookie mini camp was the first opportunity for the coaches to view the two players side by side in official capacity and yet they still waited 2 more weeks before finally making a decision to release Molson right before they begin their rounds of OTAs and it wasn't even to make room to sign another player (yet).

In both cases it essentially took the team two weeks to sign Coco and cut Molson after rookie mini camp. Maybe it took that long to break down the camp video, re-watch old game tapes etc before finally reaching a decision.

Edited by Chili

13 hours ago, Leader said:

How about this? Wait till this year rolls around and actually have something to dissect? See how he does. I mean....hell. The guy had a less than stellar rookie year. It happens....a lot.   

12 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I make this point every year after the draft.  Some guys jump right in, others take some time to acclimate, the season will tell no lies.   

What's the fun in waiting to see what happens? If that's what we're going to do, why even have a forum to speculate on. 

44 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I still find it hard to believe he’s that big

Rashan Gary has a big frame. He might be down to 270 after a few years of training and playing edge. I doubt he’s much smaller than that. 

And he does look progressively quicker each offseason in his workout videos. 

It will be fun to watch him this year. 12+ sacks seems like the bar that is set for him. He was listed as a top 10 under 25 year old defender at pff. He’s a good player. 

36 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Muscle + Height evens it out

32 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

Rashan Gary has a big frame. He might be down to 270 after a few years of training and playing edge. I doubt he’s much smaller than that. 

And he does look progressively quicker each offseason in his workout videos. 

It will be fun to watch him this year. 12+ sacks seems like the bar that is set for him. He was listed as a top 10 under 25 year old defender at pff. He’s a good player. 

I know he’s that big. I mean more from the perspective of it hard to believe he’s that big and moves like that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

I went back and read what the scouts said about Gary from McGinns draft material. One scout said they had him as a 5t for their 3-4 team. Another scout said 3t. We made him an edge. His frame is right at the cut off for edge. He’s about as big as they come. 

Maybe for a 3-4 he's near the limit, but we had Julius Peppers play edge standing up at over 290 so I wouldn't say there's a firm limit.

• Like 2

Zach Kruse -  Packers WR Allen Lazard over the last three years:

– 9.1 yards per target
– 68.4 catch percentage
– 14 TDs on 158 targets
– 75 first downs/TDs on 108 catches
– 1.47 yards/route run
– 14 contested catches on 27 attempts
– 128.9 passer rating when targeted

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Zach Kruse -  Packers WR Allen Lazard over the last three years:

– 9.1 yards per target
– 68.4 catch percentage
– 14 TDs on 158 targets
– 75 first downs/TDs on 108 catches
– 1.47 yards/route run
– 14 contested catches on 27 attempts
– 128.9 passer rating when targeted

Yeah but he wasn’t drafted in the first round so those things don’t matter… at least that’s what espn, fox sports and nbc sports tell me.

• Like 2

Not to be a downer snarkster, but if Lazard is so good of a receiver, why didn't MLF and Rodgers call more plays for him and throw him the ball?  

Just because MLF is dumb, and because Rodgers is both bad and even dumber than MLF, is that the rationale?  

*IF* that's supposed to be the hypothetical rationale, I wonder if there might also be some alternative rationale that might have even better explanatory power?