Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

@craighttps://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32176833/2021-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings?platform=amp

Well into "fine" territory, even if you dont buy that straight up.

I think they can contend with the 6-12th ranked scoring offense as long as the defense is somewhere in that same area, hopefully better.. They sure will have a greater chance at winning the ship if theyre better than that no doubt. I just dont think theyll be an elite unit.

Edited by HighCalebR

14 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

@craighttps://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32176833/2021-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings?platform=amp

Well into "fine" territory, even if you dont buy that straight up.

I think they can contend with the 6-12th ranked scoring offense as long as the defense is somewhere in that same area, hopefully better.. They sure will have a greater chance at winning the ship if theyre better than that no doubt. I just dont think theyll be an elite unit.

I hope the offense is "functionally elite".  Meaning, if they are up 10 with 8 minutes to go, the game is over.  And they are probably winning by 7 once the defense takes chances.

The offense is really dependent on 2 things.  Watkins and the rookies.  Of the 3 that I expect to get some snaps, someone needs to step up big time.

It could be Watson if he wasn't such a stiff athlete with bad hands and poor route running ability.  With his speed, once a defense commits to stopping the run, scheming him up some 1:1 stuff could be deadly.

Watkins just needs to stay healthy and produce 800 yards or so.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Packers were in an 8 way tie for 18th-25th at yards gained before contact, and 9th at yards gained after contact. Packers had 1 broken tackle per 13.9 attempts, which ranked 12th.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/advanced.htm 

That seems right. PFF does a good job on the oline. I think they had them in the 14-18 range. Counting the 9er playoff game they were  around 20th. 

NFL access broke down teams big performances in four 'big" games. For the Packers OL they used the Saints, Cardinals, Chiefs and 9er playoff game. They had 3 games graded in the 50's (F) and one in the 80's (B against the Cardinals). They ended up throwing out the Saints game because the entire team was bad and as the 1st game of the year it showed to be a true outlier game for the entire team.  So it was just the Cardinals, Chefs and 9er playoff game. The 9er games was the worst with a low 50's grade which I thought was high. Nothing fine about that all.

On a side note was Gary's 90+ performance against the 9ers. The 9ers had the best tackle tandem in the NFL and Gary manhandled them. I don't know how much he went against Trent Williams but he made plays against him, too

Edited by Donzo
Tapatalk app reading error

4 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

There might be some slight loss of quickness from what we saw last year. However, he wore the braces in college, so this won't be a huge adjustment for him. The Packers drafted him based on what they had seen him do while wearing braces at Ohio St. 

https://www.packers.com/news/challenging-rookie-season-hardened-packers-center-josh-myers

I'm feeling very confident about him going into camp. Same for Nijman, Runyan and Newman. All four of them getting PT last year will make a big difference this year.

1 hour ago, Donzo said:

That seems right. PFF does a good job on the oline. I think they had them in the 14-18 range. Counting the 9er playoff game they were  around 20th. 

NFL access broke down teams big performances in four 'big" games. For the Packers OL they used the Saints, Cardinals, Chiefs and 9er playoff game. They had 3 games graded in the 50's (F) and one in the 80's (B against the Cardinals). They ended up throwing out the Saints game because the entire team was bad and as the 1st game of the year it showed to be a true outlier game for the entire team.  So it was just the Cardinals, Chefs and 9er playoff game. The 9er games was the worst with a low 50's grade which I thought was high. Nothing fine about that all.

On a side note was Gary's 90+ performance against the 9ers. The 9ers had the best tackle tandem in the NFL and Gary manhandled them. I don't know how much he went against Trent Williams but he made plays against him, too

I haven’t been able to rewatch that heartbreaker but we threw away a hell of a great defensive performance. That is about as shutdown as it gets in the modern NFL. Maybe I can get a copy just of the defensive snaps to see it again. 

Adam Schefter

Assistant coaches being honored at the @ProFootballHOF this week are the late great Alex Gibbs, Jimmy Raye, Terry Robiskie, Fritz Shurmer and Ernie Zampese. Athletic trainers being honored: George Anderson, Otho Davis, John Omohundro, Jerry Rhea and Fred Zamberletti.

Awesome to see for Fritz Shurmur and his family. A brilliant defensive mind, Shurmur left an indelible mark on the #Packers and NFL. His coaching career absolutely deserves the recognition.

Nice to see Fritz and these other great coaches getting recognized. 

I think that this season the offensive line will be much more consistent than last season, barring another rash of injuries. If Bakh is 90% of who he was and Jenkins is 100%, and with steps forward from Myers and Runyan, and I imagine the best one of Nijman, Newman, Rhyan, or Van Lanen will be a stud.

Once everyone is healthy there is no reason this shouldn't be a top five oline. I think the offense overall will be highly efficient both in the running and passing games because of this, although I think we'll see a drop off in big splash plays. The offense paired with a top 3 defense will be more formidable than last year's team and less reliant on one offensive connection.

Edited by Sandy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Anyone going to the London game?

If you do let me know, I'll make sure you get looked after and best places to stay etc!!!

I wanted to get hospitality tickets for the Packers game, they sold out before they even reached non-season ticket holders for London games (which is a waste of cash). Hospitality tickets for all the other London games still available. I'm sure when the other Packer tickets become available here in the UK they will be gone super quick. 

13 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Lots of people.

Kind of goes without saying, people on here.

6 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

If you do let me know, I'll make sure you get looked after and best places to stay etc!!!

I wanted to get hospitality tickets for the Packers game, they sold out before they even reached non-season ticket holders for London games (which is a waste of cash). Hospitality tickets for all the other London games still available. I'm sure when the other Packer tickets become available here in the UK they will be gone super quick. 

I hope to if I can get a ticket.

What are the hospitality tickets?

9 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Where abouts are you located?  I lived in England for 2 years.

17 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Oh we like PFF more than ESPN? ok.

(*side note: the 9ers OL, ranked #3, played just as poorly as the packers did in that game)

Final 2021 NFL Offensive Line Rankings | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

Despite those injuries, the Packers' line continues to be fine.

HCR, thanks for the links.  This one is even more complex.  They have the Packers overall as #14?  Interesting it that their individual scores for the 5 primary Packers linemen are way worse than the primary linemen for teams they are ranking at 25.  For example:

• Packers:  64-65-58-56-66 (ranked 14th.  Scores are for Nijman-Runyan-Patrick-Newman-Turner)
  • Seattle:    72-58-68-64-68 (ranked 25th)
  • Vikings:    72-68-60-55-74 (ranked 23rd)
  • Cinci:        78-72-51-48-67 (ranked 20th)

So they ranked the Packers 9 spots ahead of the Vikings, even though Newman was our only guy who outscored their RG by one point, and the Vikings primary guys were 20 points better, and had higher-scored players at the four spots other than RG.  And they ranked the Packers 11 spots ahead of Seattle, even though Seattle's primary guys had higher scores at the four positions other than LG.  I think this fits with the perception that while the packers overall line play was league average, that their primary guys last year were somewhat less good than typical intended starters.  

For other teams that PFF ranked behind the Packers, even though their primary guys scored variably better, I assume this means that their backups were really bad when they played.  So the Packers being average wasn't that their primary 5 were average; it's that our backups were much better than the backups some teams have.  

Interesting, of course, that of the Packers primary 5 in-season guys, only Runyan started at his regular spot in the playoff loss, and both Newman and Nijman were benched altogether.