Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Anyway, HCR, I think my take from the PFF scoring is that the line on-the-whole was average relative to the league-as-a-while; the league-as-a-whole playing lots of injury-replacement backups a lot, which drags both individual teams and the league-as-a-while down.  And being average was fine for going 13-3.  But my take is that using intended starters as the frame of reference, our guys who actually played a lot were somewhat below the intended-starters norm.  (Naturally so, since half of our guys weren't intended starters either.).  And my take is that our kinda average line wasn't good enough to move the ball well against good defenses.  

My hypothetical *hope* is that this year we'll have a bunch of intended starters playing in October and beyond, and also playing in January and beyond.  So that not only is our line play well above average relative to the league-as-a-whole, but is also well above average relative to intended healthy starters.   

I'd love to see continued progress from each of Newman, Nijman, Runyan, and Myers for sure.  And to see Jenkins and Bakhi back, Bakhti by opening day and Jenkins by October.  I don't know that it's very likely.  As soon as some Bakhti or Jenkins come back, probably some other intended starter will probably be injured instead.  Or, maybe even if Bakhti and Jenkins do return, they won't be nearly the players they were before.  But *IF* the Packers are going to go far, I kinda feel like they'll need a top-10 or maybe top-5 offense.  And I think improving to that level is only plausible *IF* the o-line is functioning as a top-10 or maybe top-5 unit. 

Heh heh, it's july, why not hope?  

One more note (sorry!).  My sense is that if the PFF o-line rating was middle-of-the-pack average, my guess is that the line rated better for pass-block than for run-block.  (As they alluded to in respect to Nijman.).  Obviously pass-block is more essential than run-block, a team can win lots of games with solid pass-blocking but mediocre run-blocking, as many Packers teams have shown over the last fifteen years.  

But given how oriented MLF is to the run, it would sure be great if the o-line was excellent at BOTH.  If they could be both top 5 in pass-block, and top-10 in run-block, that would really be offense-enabling.  

It's not implausible, I don't think, *IF* health and young-guy-development both turn up favorably.

@craigI think what it shows you the most is that it's a well coached unit that is prone to some lapses in play from time to time. Closest thing to a turnstile was kelly and hes so damn big it helps that a bit.  Overall solid unit but not dominant, they werent the reason for an L. They played some damn fine DL during the year and held their own.

The lines ranked lower have a guy or two I dont think plays for us, like bradbury and udoh for the vikes. Seahawks RT and I think damien lewis was bad from what I recall hearing.

Personally id take any grade you see as an estimate not some concrete thing.

Ideally you upgrade Nijman in some form. If thats him taking the next step to starter (which im hoping for) or someone else steps in. Myers is a stud if he stays healthy. I personally have no worries there. Elgton is a tackle for me at this point. Runyan works so, you got a competition for RG.. And you probably have newman slotted there for experience with a hook if the rooks look the part. 

We'll survive fine while the Tackles get back on the field, having marcedes is really just an ace in the hole that'll cover some cracks on the edge.

With bakh the line looks pretty set to me with plenty of talent on the bench and a guy with experience at swing tackle. 

No onto a little rambling. Runyans double team work is fun to watch, specifically him and nijman working together they can really dig some dudes out. Nijmans a bit soft on the second level but he gets there very well. Patrick was a dawg just a bit undersized. Newman straight up is a tough beat. Hard to overstate how Turner made the right side work. Guy was worth every penny. This wasnt some ***** *** squad in the run game. They could make some **** happen. The average yards before contact is a bit finicky as 1 foot difference takes you to top 10 for the 8 way tie from 18-24th or whatever. Especially when a good chunk of Dillons game is "im the juggernaut, *****" and he just bowls through the line and whoever is in the way, even if that is a friendly. So yeah hes gonna find instant contact.

TL: DR- they were fine.

Edited by HighCalebR

14 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

What are the hospitality tickets?

These are tickets with over priced fancy food as part of the package, maybesome merc, a tour of the stadium etc and the seats themselves are either in box seats, which have your own lounge area etc or they are behind the team benches. These tickets start at around $450

11 hours ago, jleisher said:

Where abouts are you located?  I lived in England for 2 years.

I live in Watford which is on the outskirts of London, in the North West. Famous for the home of the Harry Potter Studies. Also the Grove Hotel, where pretty much any movie star, sports team or political leader will stay if they are coming to visit London.

7 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I live in Watford which is on the outskirts of London, in the North West. Famous for the home of the Harry Potter Studies. Also the Grove Hotel, where pretty much any movie star, sports team or political leader will stay if they are coming to visit London.

Are you a wizard?

Remember, you aren't allowed to lie, this is the internet.

9 minutes ago, Norm said:

That one hall monitor about to come report y'all though

Yes, someone is going to need to come in here a delete dozens of posts to clean up this mess. It's an outrage I tell ya.  

58 minutes ago, R T said:

Yes, someone is going to need to come in here a delete dozens of posts to clean up this mess. It's an outrage I tell ya.  

Everything is off topic now and nobody talks football (in July)

Signed, Wahhhh

• Like 3