Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

48 minutes ago, R T said:

The desire to pronounce Hanson as dead is strong here. 

I think it is more like we have some new toys now.  And one of the new toys, Tom, is probably better at what Hanson does, and is more versatile and is a substantially better athlete.  Perhaps Hanson is a late bloomer.  It took Lucas Patrick, Lane Taylor, EDS, and Grey Ruegamer a little while to get their feet under them too.  But he has a pretty uphill battle for himself.

21 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think it is more like we have some new toys now.  And one of the new toys, Tom, is probably better at what Hanson does, and is more versatile and is a substantially better athlete.  Perhaps Hanson is a late bloomer.  It took Lucas Patrick, Lane Taylor, EDS, and Grey Ruegamer a little while to get their feet under them too.  But he has a pretty uphill battle for himself.

This topic was hashed over fairly well a few weeks ago on the 2021 vs.2022 thread. Hanson's chances are better than what people want to give him. 

9 hours ago, R T said:

This topic was hashed over fairly well a few weeks ago on the 2021 vs.2022 thread. Hanson's chances are better than what people want to give him. 

I'm not ruling him out, but he's got a large uphill battle to make the roster. If Jenkins and Bak start on PUP, which is highly unlikely for Bak at least, his chances go up.

We know the Packers like to keep drafted rookies, so there is likely three roster spots taken. All three have a higher celing than Hanson. Then you have Jenkins, Bak, Runyan, Myers, Newman and Nijman. That is nine roster spots. Assume Jenkins starts on PUP. He's got to beat out Van Lanen and all the other UDFA. Not an impossible task, but an uphill climb to be sure. 

40 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm not ruling him out, but he's got a large uphill battle to make the roster. If Jenkins and Bak start on PUP, which is highly unlikely for Bak at least, his chances go up.

We know the Packers like to keep drafted rookies, so there is likely three roster spots taken. All three have a higher celing than Hanson. Then you have Jenkins, Bak, Runyan, Myers, Newman and Nijman. That is nine roster spots. Assume Jenkins starts on PUP. He's got to beat out Van Lanen and all the other UDFA. Not an impossible task, but an uphill climb to be sure. 

I wouldn't put Walker's roster spot down in pen either.  But I am very confident that Runyan, Newman, Rhyan, and Tom will be on the roster.  That is four spots at guard, one of which we know can also play center.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I wouldn't put Walker's roster spot down in pen either.  But I am very confident that Runyan, Newman, Rhyan, and Tom will be on the roster.  That is four spots at guard, one of which we know can also play center.  

I agree on Walker, which is why I said, likely. I think the only way he gets cut is if his immaturity shows up more than his potential as a player. HIs major red flag going into the draft. His ability has never really been a problem for him. That said, there is a major reason why he lasted until round 7. 

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I agree on Walker, which is why I said, likely. I think the only way he gets cut is if his immaturity shows up more than his potential as a player. HIs major red flag going into the draft. His ability has never really been a problem for him. That said, there is a major reason why he lasted until round 7. 

Ok, here is a question.  As I get older, and further away from being in college, I watch less and less college football.  I watched nothing from Wisconsin or Penn State either.  Is Walker better than Van Lanen? Or enough so that he would be better than an Van Lanen with a year of NFL experience, right out the gate? I can also see a scenario where we keep 10 and both Walker and Van Lanen are among that 10. 

I know there were some off the field issues but I was shocked Walker fell as far as he did.  I think it's going to be a very competitive camp at O-Line.  Really like the up and coming talent.  I don't know about 10 but I think 9 is a lock

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Ok, here is a question.  As I get older, and further away from being in college, I watch less and less college football.  I watched nothing from Wisconsin or Penn State either.  Is Walker better than Van Lanen? Or enough so that he would be better than an Van Lanen with a year of NFL experience, right out the gate? I can also see a scenario where we keep 10 and both Walker and Van Lanen are among that 10. 

Those are great questions I'm not qualified to answer. That's why we have camp. After taking another look at Walker's pro day numbers, I'm not convinced he's as good as I thought. 

3 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Everything I read about Walker is that his technique needs a lot of work. He would seem to be a logical candidate for the practice squad. He has potential, but seems to be a project. 

I view him kindda how I saw Van Lanen last year.  They need work.  PS is ideal.  Give them each a year to work on their body and technique, then see what you have.  Each have a lot of talent.  I like them both for potential.

The issue with Walker is this....we are kindda thin at tackle.  If Runyan, Tom, Rhyan and Newman are all truly guards only, then we do need someone to step up and be a tackle.  Maybe even start.

Bakh, Jenkins, Nijman are it for tackles that we know can play.  Health is an issue with 2 of them right now.  There is certainly an opening for a guard to be cross trained, or Walker, or CVL.  Maybe even a vet if one comes available.

1. Hanson is not dead.  Favorable odds of being employed by the Packers.
  2. The practice-squad is 16 guys.  
  3. Getting "cut" from the 53 is overrated, given the "69-man roster".
  4. Another 5-10 guys will be on injured list.  
  5. So, of the current 90-man roster, barely a dozen will go unemployed by the Packers.   Probably at least 75 guys will remain employed between injured, 53, and practice squad.  
  6. Hanson might be one of the dozen who gets unemployed, it's certainly a possibility.  But his chances of being one of the 75 paid guys are probably at least as high.  

20 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The thing about "Backup Center" is that you're not really looking for a guy to develop to be the starter of the future....  You're mostly just looking for a guy who can do the job well enough to get you out of a game.  ...Ideally you just dress 2 backup OL for a game- swing tackle and backup interior guy who can snap.

1. You need some contingency center on the game-day roster.  But like you say, Cabbage, just adequate enough to get you through the remaining quarters of a single game, *IF* Myers gets knocked out.  
  2. Not sure who that will be. 
  3. It could be a starter, like Runyan or Newman?  Maybe Jenkins later on?  
  4. It could be one of the 2 or 3 backups who are on game-day.  Who the backups will be remains to be seen.
  5. But *IF* Myers will miss some starts, the replacement starter for the ensuing week(s) doesn't need to have been on the game-day roster on the day he got hurt.  The replacement starter could have been an inactive roster guy...  But the replacement starter could also be called up from the practice squad. 
  6. *IF* Tom hypothetically emerges as the primary backup center, he'll be at least on the 53-man, even if perhaps not game-day.   
  7. But it's also plausible that rookie Tom who's also learning other things and positions, might NOT emerge as the primary backup center, at least not yet.  It's entirely plausible that Hanson could be stashed on the Practice Squad, but could be the guy called up to start if Myers is out.  You do NOT need to be on the 53 to be the replacement starter.  
  8. It's also plausible, of course, that Hanson with his experience and development will be established enough as backup center, and also have some contingency-guard capacity, that he would emerge as a game-day backup who can be plugged in at center or at least one of the guard spots. 
  • Like 1