Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

39 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I view him kindda how I saw Van Lanen last year.  They need work.  PS is ideal.  Give them each a year to work on their body and technique, then see what you have.  Each have a lot of talent.  I like them both for potential.

The issue with Walker is this....we are kindda thin at tackle.  If Runyan, Tom, Rhyan and Newman are all truly guards only, then we do need someone to step up and be a tackle.  Maybe even start.

Bakh, Jenkins, Nijman are it for tackles that we know can play.  Health is an issue with 2 of them right now.  There is certainly an opening for a guard to be cross trained, or Walker, or CVL.  Maybe even a vet if one comes available.

I don't think Tom, Ryan or Newman are guards only. In fact, if Nijman has to start at LT, I think Newman may be the favorite at RT. I believe MLF said after the draft that Rhyan would be tried at T. Technique wise, I think Tom would be more ready to play at T as a rookie than Walker.  

This whole situation sure would be simpler if Bakhtiari is back Day 1.

Walker is an obvious PS guy, in my view.  I hope he blows them away and looks awesome in camp, and seems like a steal who is shockingly ready.  It's summer, I can dream anything I want!  But to me he seems as totally like a 69-man developmental guy as you can get.  *If* hypothetically so many tackles go down in a game that you need Walker to be starting next week, you can call him up from PS for next week's game.  But to get through one particular game, one of the game-day backups or starters can attempt some contingency tackle for a couple of quarters if needed.  

We know Rhyan and Tom will make the 53.  To me I have no clarity on several issues:

1. Will they carry 3, 4, or 5 backups on the 53?  
  2. Will they carry 2 or 3 backups on the game-day?
  3. Which 2 or 3 backups will the game-day guys?
  4. Which 1, 2, or 3 backups other than Rhyan and Tom will make the 53?  

I'd assume Rhyan will be a game-day guy, although how many positions he'll be trained for I can't guess.  

Pending camp injuries to other teams, it seems unlikely to me that other rosters are just itching to steal VanLanen, Hanson, or Walker.  I think you can fairly safely send any or all of those three to PS *IF* they hypothetically aren't part of your game-day guys.  

But either VanLanen or Hanson or perhaps BOTH might plausibly be game-day guys, maybe?  Maybe Rhyan and Tom both look so good at multiple spots that the two rookies are immediately the primary game-day backups?  It's not impossible.  But it also seems plausible that Tom would be an inactive guy, with Rhyan and Cole, or Rhyan and Hanson, or all three of Rhyan and Cole and Hanson as game-day guys.  Who knows?  

And probably by Sept 1 somebody new will be injured anyway, further confusing the scene.  

Edited by craig

2 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

I don't think Tom, Ryan or Newman are guards only. In fact, if Nijman has to start at LT, I think Newman may be the favorite at RT. I believe MLF said after the draft that Rhyan would be tried at T. Technique wise, I think Tom would be more ready to play at T as a rookie than Walker.  

I think Newman could be a plus RT.  I dare say, his ceiling his higher at RT than at any G position.  I like his body for that position.

Rhyan could be a RT, but I think he's gonna be an elite guard in a year or two.  

I've got no clue what Tom is, or is not.

Fingers crossed on Bakh. 

On 7/6/2022 at 11:51 AM, Brat&Beer said:

If Bak isn't back day 1, I'm not sure you can count on him at all going forward. That is over 18 months to recover. If not, I'd think he's looking at another surgery to try and get it right. I'm no doctor but that would be a worst-case scenario for us/him. 

Edited by Old Guy

43 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think Newman could be a plus RT.  I dare say, his ceiling his higher at RT than at any G position.  I like his body for that position.

Rhyan could be a RT, but I think he's gonna be an elite guard in a year or two.  

I've got no clue what Tom is, or is not.

Fingers crossed on Bakh. 

You have more faith in Newman than I do. You may be correct about his body type and position, but I don't see athletic enough to play outside. Again, I'm no expert but I think he's a one-year starter and a backup for a few years. 

The point is really that Hanson doesn't really lose his job because someone supplants him as the second best center.  He loses his job because a more versatile offensive lineman demonstrates they're a good enough option at center to rely on in a relief capacity.

There's very little that Hanson can do, short of "beating out Meyers" that will secure him a roster spot.  He's dependent on what other people show or don't show.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

You have more faith in Newman than I do. You may be correct about his body type and position, but I don't see athletic enough to play outside. Again, I'm no expert but I think he's a one-year starter and a backup for a few years. 

I don't have a lot of faith in him at guard.  Though I've been waaaay wrong before.  With how his body looks, I thought RT would be a better fit.  I think the feet were there and I thought he had the "nasty" in him for RT.

The only thing I didn't like about him at guard was his leverage and the stunt recognition.  

I believe that he can play in this league.  Just not positive about the ceiling or the position right now.  But he is a player, somewhere.

5 minutes ago, Green19 said:

So apparently Pittsburgh’s Johnson will be a packer next year and already has a deal agreed to, secretly … apparently, for 93 million.

Congrats everyone. GB signed a WR… just for next year.

https://fansided.com/2022/07/06/packers-davante-adams-replacement/amp/

Oh sure. Go and spoil the surprise for everybody. 

7 minutes ago, Green19 said:

So apparently Pittsburgh’s Johnson will be a packer next year and already has a deal agreed to, secretly … apparently, for 93 million.

I actually really like that player.  He's smooth.  Little small for our system.  But he's silky out there.

Drops are an issue, but he's young and will probably grow out of those.

So, when we sign him, what will the tampering charges be?  And if it is this imminent, we should trade for him now.  Give up a second and be done with it.  That was Pitt gets a comp pick better than a third and GB gets a WR that they could use this year.

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

I can only imagine the tampering charges if this came to fruition. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Norm said:

Imagine if that guy is right though lol

Right?

I've read so many crap pieces out there in the past few weeks.  

One of them said that GB was a top landing spot for Robert Quinn.  Riiiiiiggggghhhhht.  If only there were no salary cap and GB wasn't in the same division as the Bares and if there wasn't a rivalry. 

Another one had GB as the future destination for Landon Collins.  

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 1