Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

13 hours ago, Green19 said:

Did a quick wiki on Mount Everest. There have been 93 deaths in the last decade. There was 217 deaths in the 88 years before that. Obviously more are making the climb in the 2020s than in the 1920s.

An interesting thing though that has occurred in the last decade… is the average age that die on Mount Everest. Before the last decade someone above 40 dying is seemingly more rare. In the last decade you have 60+ age group trying to climb Everest and dying. You even had an 82 year old that died!

So because it has gotten sooooo accessible you have people that shouldn’t be climbing… climbing. A lot of cardiac arrest in these high aged individuals.

Another aspect of all these people doing the climb is the amount of trash they're leaving behind.

Ryan Wood -  The balance with using Aaron Jones and A.J. Dillon together is not wearing them out over the long haul, Adam Stenavich says. He doesn't think playing them together would hurt the passing game: "Aaron Jones can stretch the field just as good as any receiver."

• Paul Bretl  -   I wondered if this was a reason we saw fewer 2 RB sets last year. Perhaps with Hill in Year 2 and that experience, he will have a larger workload, so even with more 2 RB sets, Jones & Dillon can still have snaps off.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Also...the article frequently mentioned how other climbers can't really help out people in trouble because helping them likely means death for themselves.

Everything I've ever read about that agrees with what you just said - stopping to assist someone is just going to lead to two corpses on the mountain as opposed to just one

ESPN just came out with its Top 100 CFB players for 2022 and every year I always look back just for fun to see which Packers made that list (what a difference an actual year of football makes lol). For 2021, two current Packers made the preseason top 100 list: 

No. 60 - Kingsley Enagbare

No. 96 - Tyler Goodson  

Edited by packfanfb

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ross Uglem -  I don't think they feel this way, but I would treat Elgton Jenkins as a guard in 2022. Bakh, Tom, and Nijman can all play tackle. Let them play tackle.

That is not happening. Nijman is a LT only and Bakh probably starts the year on the PUP, they need him at RT and they have plenty of depth on the inside without him.   

34 minutes ago, R T said:

That is not happening. Nijman is a LT only and Bakh probably starts the year on the PUP, they need him at RT and they have plenty of depth on the inside without him.   

How do we know Yosh is LT only? Also, Tom looks better at RT than Newman or Hanson look at RG.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, R T said:

I'm not sure I agree at all about Yosh being LT only.  You want your top 5 out there, and that's who you're going to roll with.  The only players that I'd say are cemented into their spots are Bakh (LT) and Josh Myers (C).  Other than those two, you can move them around as the best fit.  You've got Runyan (LG/RG), Newman (LG/RG/RT), Njiman (LT/RT), Jenkins (ALL), and Tom (ALL?) as your top 7 OL.  Obviously, Bakh won't be ready Week 1 so you're probably going with Yosh there assuming Jenkins isn't ready to go.  I could see a situation where the tackles are Jenkins/Yosh.  I still can't see a situation where Tom starts unless both Jenkins AND Bakh aren't ready to go.

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

I don't want to get into this **** but I still don't perfectly understand the LT only. 

What's to stop a team from flipping LE/RE based on advantage. Isn't that 90% of it?

I agree it is mostly overplayed by fans who want to sound 'smart'! I'd say for oline, it's a bit more difficult than dline for sure. The movements in pass protection are the opposite of what you are used to.  Let's face it, it's still not rocket science or splitting atoms. 

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

I don't want to get into this **** but I still don't perfectly understand the LT only. 

What's to stop a team from flipping LE/RE based on advantage. Isn't that 90% of it?

"Left tackle only" usually means "he's got quick feat and can pass protect, but can't move anybody in the run game.  The archetypical example would be Chad Clifton.  The whole "right tackle is for run blocking, left tackle is for pass blocking" thing is obsolete though.

4 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

"Left tackle only" usually means "he's got quick feat and can pass protect, but can't move anybody in the run game.  The archetypical example would be Chad Clifton.  The whole "right tackle is for run blocking, left tackle is for pass blocking" thing is obsolete though.

100%. But why is that necessary on the right and not the left? Like okay he's not going to road grade on the right, okay, cool. He can't on the left either. 

Right?

I think we're agreeing. Then it's like well the speed rush over the LT. Okay, get that guy to mirror and speed rush your dead footed RT...

Was there some philosophy of sticking your TE on the end of the right side too, so that's where you might want to run too more often. IDK. I'm not an xs and os guy. I just like to make fun of stupid people with stupid opinions.