Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is there anything concrete in the article or is it more of the same with McGinn?

Say what you will about McGinn, but he turned out to be right when it came to TT and his struggles, despite everyone questioning the validity of that article. Eventually all the dots connected.

Nagler mentioned the WR article today in his YT chat. He wasn't a fan of the unnamed sources, but he also said the eye in the sky doesn't lie. He mentioned a huge difference between the tape now vs when Jimmy Robinson and Edgar Bennett were heading up the WR's. In a nutshell, he said the routes were sloppy and not in sync with each other. Obviously, JR and EB had veterans and more talent to coach, but so be it. Things should still be in sync. Rodgers' timing and progressions, the entire offensive playbook depends on it. What ties everything together is Rodgers mentioning "the details" pretty much every week since going off on the "young guys" in training camp. As far as I'm concerned, there is enough there to say the dots connect with this as well. It explains a lot. Check it out at about the 12:40 mark.

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

Say what you will about McGinn, but he turned out to be right when it came to TT and his struggles, despite everyone questioning the validity of that article. Eventually all the dots connected.

Nagler mentioned the WR article today in his YT chat. He wasn't a fan of the unnamed sources, but he also said the eye in the sky doesn't lie. He mentioned a huge difference between the tape now vs when Jimmy Robinson and Edgar Bennett were heading up the WR's. In a nutshell, he said the routes were sloppy and not in sync with each other. Obviously, JR and EB had veterans and more talent to coach, but so be it. Things should still be in sync. Rodgers' timing and progressions, the entire offensive playbook depends on it. What ties everything together is Rodgers mentioning "the details" pretty much every week since going off on the "young guys" in training camp. As far as I'm concerned, there is enough there to say the dots connect with this as well. It explains a lot. Check it out at about the 12:40 mark.

Rodgers needs to get his own damn house in order, to steal a McCarthy comment. 

Sick to ******* death of this dude pointing fingers at everybody but himself for missed throws. 

Are the receivers mediocre? Probably. But most of the league is dealing with equal or worse. If he's so damn smart and so damn talented, dude needs to make it work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Rodgers needs to get his own damn house in order, to steal a McCarthy comment. 

Sick to ******* death of this dude pointing fingers at everybody but himself for missed throws. 

Are the receivers mediocre? Probably. But most of the league is dealing with equal or worse. If he's so damn smart and so damn talented, dude needs to make it work.

I'm sure there's enough blame to go around, but the entire offense is built around a certain # of steps on the drop back, and then eye and footwork progressions that happen in a fraction of a second each. As you well know, this is all timed to the route each receiver is running.  If the WR's are running crappy routes that aren't in time with each other, nothing works. At this point, I'm not ready to call Rodgers a liar. He is dropping back and seeing what amounts to chaos since nothing is synced up. A big difference between mediocre receivers and the whole damn passing game literally being out of sync. Is it an overthrow or is the receiver late on the route vs the 50 times they practiced it since the ball is sometimes out of Rodgers hand before the final break ? No its not always gonna be perfect, but I don't think Rodgers would complain unless things are completely messed up. Unless something comes out to the contrary, it makes more sense that McGinn's story is true vs Rodgers becoming a mediocre QB overnight.

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cannondale said:

I'm sure there's enough blame to go around, but the entire offense is built around a certain # of steps on the drop back, and then eye and footwork progressions that happen in a fraction of a second each. As you well know, this is all timed to the route each receiver is running.  If the WR's are running crappy routes that aren't in time with each other, nothing works. At this point, I'm not ready to call Rodgers a liar. He is dropping back and seeing what amounts to chaos since nothing is synced up. A big difference between mediocre receivers and the whole damn passing game literally being out of sync. Is it an overthrow or is the receiver late on the route vs the 50 times they practiced it since the ball is sometimes out of Rodgers hand before the final break ? No its not always gonna be perfect, but I don't think Rodgers would complain unless things are completely messed up. Unless something comes out to the contrary, it makes more sense that McGinn's story is true vs Rodgers becoming a mediocre QB overnight.

It's an offensive game PLAN.

"No plan survives contact with the enemy" is a popular saying. Defenses are focused on taking guys out of what they want to do. Good offenses adjust and are able to throw a ball a half second early if a linebacker is cheating over further than they expected and a route needs to be flattened out or a stem needs to be shortened. 

Rodgers expectation that everything be run perfectly on every snap is both unrealistic and petulant. And also a ******* annoying character trait that QBs tend to have, but his is out of control. 

Additionally, it's not like Rodgers has been freaking perfect on his part of the mental game either.

He's misreading defenses and missing throws. Even to vets like Adams, Cobb and Graham he's putting balls behind them rather than letting them catch and run:

https://imgur.com/ALEhhsP

https://imgur.com/A3DEZ22

https://imgur.com/7ICK0KA

ttps://imgur.com/iN2Xh8p

ttps://imgur.com/1UtQMar

https://media.giphy.com/media/1g1LBYm11M13sWK7Tf/giphy.gif

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Rodgers expectation that everything be run perfectly on every snap is both unrealistic and petulant. And also a ******* annoying character trait that QBs tend to have, but his is out of control. Additionally, it's not like Rodgers has been freaking perfect on his part of the mental game either. He's misreading defenses and missing throws. Even to vets like Adams, Cobb and Graham he's putting balls behind them rather than letting them catch and run.

Agree.
As for the "off-target" passes, I've stopped wondering why at this juncture. The knee, the collarbone, pissed at MM (I guess not)....whatever. 
Hoping to see an old friend in 2019.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thrILL! said:

I see a lot of mocks with us signing Earl Thomas.  I’d be all for it at the right price but doesn’t he want to play for the Cowboys?  I remember him telling Jerry Jones or somebody from Dallas to come get him.  

People will ***** about draft value all day long but are willing to overpay for an oft injured player at an "economical" position: Safety. Now maybe 2019 will be the year the Safety position hits the stratosphere - but I doubt it. Their markets getting pinched by CBs and fast LBs. I think we can find a good Safety at well below Thomas's cost.

Scanned thru some interesting stuff yesterday regards some guy coming out of Alabama. Supposed to be good. The counterweight to this guys skills is an apparent overall lack of NFL success (or dynamic play) of Alabama Safeties. Who knows. The drafts months away and will sort itself out in time.......

5 hours ago, Leader said:

Scanned thru some interesting stuff yesterday regards some guy coming out of Alabama. Supposed to be good. The counterweight to this guys skills is an apparent overall lack of NFL success (or dynamic play) of Alabama Safeties. Who knows. The drafts months away and will sort itself out in time.......

Deionte Thompson is the real deal. Excellent ball skills and very physical who loves to mix it up in the box  

I know there’s a lot of HaHa fatigue around these parts but it doesn’t translate to Bama safeties. Landon Collins is one of the best in the league. Minkah Fitpatrick is a freakin beast as expected. Ronnie Harrison has looked good for JAX thus far.  I’d love to add Thompson. 

Edited by thrILL!

13 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Dumb comments but worth a tire kick? I read his contract is 5.8 million in 2019.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25608296/washington-redskins-cutting-ties-dj-swearinger

I'd absolutely claim him. He was one of the better safeties in the league, but he's got a mouth. Still, we have nothing going into next year at S.

• Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:
15 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Dumb comments but worth a tire kick? I read his contract is 5.8 million in 2019.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25608296/washington-redskins-cutting-ties-dj-swearinger

I'd absolutely claim him. He was one of the better safeties in the league, but he's got a mouth. Still, we have nothing going into next year at S.

Don't think that's the type of leader we're looking for... The player is great, but the mouth probably keeps him off our radar. He did this in Houston too

4 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Don't think that's the type of leader we're looking for... The player is great, but the mouth probably keeps him off our radar. He did this in Houston too

Nope.
The player being great is all we want.
I couldnt care less if players are jabbering at each other. JAs doing it all the time.
Stay away from exceeding the personal foul limit - but talk it up all you want - so long as your play backs it up.

We need to be less "discerning" in our tastes. We need dynamic football players - not Mr. Manners.