Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

Then that's your prerogative. Would you have put a claim in for Reuben Foster? Where was your outrage over Kareem Hunt not being claimed?

I'd signed off and have just seen this.

Far as I know, your comparison isnt apples to apples.
Swearinger has sent a tweet or two? Is that his infraction? Or something similar?
Are you actually equating that to be equal to domestic violence (?) - or you just checking out my personal moral code?

Let me help you. I would have drafted Mixon. Thought him top of the draft talent that was falling (to us) because of a bad mistake when he was 18 (?) 19? Not knowing much about the Calloway kid - I wouldnt have thrown anything at the TV set if we'd drafted him last year. Didnt (and still dont) know what was up about him - but in some circles he was considered a top of the draft WR  - or high up there - who was going to be very, very cheap. We didnt draft him. No problem with me. Palmy indicated he was a troubled mind (or some sort) - fine with me. He had a decent rookie season w/o incident. What was the right move? I cant say. I'm fine with who we drafted. I wouldnt have picked up Greg Hardy.

Edited by Leader

20 minutes ago, Leader said:

Swearinger has sent a tweet or two? Is that his infraction? Or something similar?
Are you actually equating that to be equal to domestic violence (?) - or you just checking out my personal moral code?

Let me help you. I would have drafted Mixon. Thought him top of the draft talent that was falling (to us) because of a bad mistake when he was 18 (?) 19? Not knowing much about the Calloway kid - I wouldnt have thrown anything at the TV set if we'd drafted him last year. Didnt (and still dont) know what was up about him - but in some circles he was considered a top of the draft WR  - or high up there - who was going to be very, very cheap. We didnt draft him. No problem with me. Palmy indicated he was a troubled mind (or some sort) - fine with me. He had a decent rookie season w/o incident. What was the right move? I cant say. I'm fine with who we drafted. I wouldnt have picked up Greg Hardy.

It's impossible for us fans to judge the personal side of football with the very very very limited knowledge we have. We can (at best) judge the football side and guess at the personals.

This is all fine.

It means we can want the talent and then be ok knowing the people who DO know are competent and did the proper vetting of the side we don't know.

For example, I'd have been thrilled with Kareem Hunt the talent here. Fans of 32 teams would be. FOs of 32 teams passed on the personal.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:
2 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Then that's your prerogative. Would you have put a claim in for Reuben Foster? Where was your outrage over Kareem Hunt not being claimed?

My goodness... there are different levels of infractions. Domestic violence is not even in the same zip code as calling people out in the media. Sheesh...

Did you read what I quoted? What they do on the field is what mattered. That was what I was questioning. Obviously there are different levels or transgressions 

47 minutes ago, Leader said:
2 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I would have drafted Mixon too. I would be conflicted about it, but I was commenting on the Packers, not my personal views. 

The tune changes when the player is a professional and shows they have a bad attitude. 

23 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's impossible for us fans to judge the personal side of football with the very very very limited knowledge we have. We can (at best) judge the football side and guess at the personals. This is all fine. It means we can want the talent and then be ok knowing the people who DO know are competent and did the proper vetting of the side we don't know. For example, I'd have been thrilled with Kareem Hunt the talent here. Fans of 32 teams would be. FOs of 32 teams passed on the personal.

Exactly right.
I may have an opinion about a guy - or their "infractions" - but I'm cool with the FO (who has more background than I certainly do) pulling the trigger. If they dont shoot at every target I would - not a problem.

4 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Don't think that's the type of leader we're looking for... The player is great, but the mouth probably keeps him off our radar. He did this in Houston too

He’s been a loudmouth since South Carolina.  5 teams in 6 years?  I’d imagine he got the boot for more than just his recent criticism.  

I’m seeing GB fans on Reddit clamoring for Josh Norman too. Woof.  

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Packer Report:

According to the game book, Jamaal Williams played all but five snaps yesterday. Josh Jones, Tony Brown, Tramon Williams and Blake Martinez played every snap on D. Matthews, on the other hand, played only 27. Brice played five.

Is he ahead of Breeland and Josh Jackson on the depth chart? Also, it appears the coaching staff is getting more comfortable with Josh Jones on defense. He's looked better. Still has a lot to learn, but the tools are starting to show. 

28 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Is he ahead of Breeland and Josh Jackson on the depth chart? Also, it appears the coaching staff is getting more comfortable with Josh Jones on defense. He's looked better. Still has a lot to learn, but the tools are starting to show. 

Football Outsiders will update their public stats tomorrow. It will be interesting to see who played what. My guess is that Breeland and Brown were the starters once Alexander went down with Jackson as the third guy rotating in. 

Not sure the staff is comfortable with Jones or if he's the only warm body that isn't injured. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Football Outsiders will update their public stats tomorrow. It will be interesting to see who played what. My guess is that Breeland and Brown were the starters once Alexander went down with Jackson as the third guy rotating in. 

Not sure the staff is comfortable with Jones or if he's the only warm body that isn't injured. 

Agreed. We're playing the string out and have changed the "next man up" to the "next healthy body"
I posted the stats for the helluvit. Not sure what we can determine from them. Hopefully the effort it there - so the tape is genuine.
I didnt see the game - but it sounds like Darnold was passing us silly.

I like Tony Brown. He's an UDFA for reasons I dont know  - but somebody's got them. The little bit I've actually seen, I like the attitude and playing character. He's an "in your face" guy not afraid to deliver a hit. He's "in" on passes more than he's left behind by the WR. Cant say I've seen him running stride for stride down a sideline - or have a good feel for his closing speed - but I want him around for longer. Hope we dont ditch Breeland - BECAUSE of Brown however. I'm not there yet.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Agreed. We're playing the string out and have changed the "next man up" to the "next healthy body"
I posted the stats for the helluvit. Not sure what we can determine from them. Hopefully the effort it there - so the tape is genuine.
I didnt see the game - but it sounds like Darnold was passing us silly.

I like Tony Brown. He's an UDFA for reasons I dont know  - but somebody's got them. The little bit I've actually seen, I like the attitude and playing character. He's an "in your face" guy not afraid to deliver a hit. He's "in" on passes more than he's left behind by the WR. Cant say I've seen him running stride for stride down a sideline - or have a good feel for his closing speed - but I want him around for longer. Hope we dont ditch Breeland - BECAUSE of Brown however. I'm not there yet.

Love the swagger of a secondary with Jaire, Breeland & Brown, all guys who play with a little extra oomph. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leader said:

Let me help you. I would have drafted Mixon. Thought him top of the draft talent that was falling (to us) because of a bad mistake when he was 18 (?) 1

What's funny about Mixon is Dalvin Cook had a similar incident but skated because there was no tape, and the woman Mixon hit sustained most of her injuries when her face hit a table as she fell. 

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

What's funny about Mixon is Dalvin Cook had a similar incident but skated because there was no tape, and the woman Mixon hit sustained most of her injuries when her face hit a table as she fell. 

Details matter. For example, if you hear about a man who pushed a woman to the floor and slapped her hard many times, you might be appalled. When you add that her dress had caught fire and the man was putting the flames out, the perspective changes.

I'm not saying Mixon didn't do a bad thing, but little details do shade your perspective. I'd also say that I'd tend to be more forgiving of a player who made one mistake (albeit a bad one), than one who has a pattern of bad behaviour.  As @Leader pointed out, the front offices typically know way, way more than most fans do, about this kind of stuff, so you have to trust them to make good calls on a case by case basis.

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Details matter. For example, if you hear about a man who pushed a woman to the floor and slapped her hard many times, you might be appalled. When you add that her dress had caught fire and the man was putting the flames out, the perspective changes.

I'm not saying Mixon didn't do a bad thing, but little details do shade your perspective. I'd also say that I'd tend to be more forgiving of a player who made one mistake (albeit a bad one), than one who has a pattern of bad behaviour.  As @Leader pointed out, the front offices typically know way, way more than most fans do, about this kind of stuff, so you have to trust them to make good calls on a case by case basis.

Does calling a gay person a homophobic slur eliciting her reaction, make this better in your mind? As far as his response that the kid called him a racial slur, sure would be weird to call a black guy the N-word while talking to a different black guy, right???

It's not like this was Mixon's only incident. He very likely beat the **** out of another woman when he was in high school and the school covered it up. Minimally there's testimony pointing to that.