Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

16 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Scathing article about the Packers org and how they dealt with playing/not playing an already injured Rodgers the last two games of the season.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2813157-aaron-rodgers-concussion-is-rock-bottom-for-the-2018-green-bay-packers

Gute is a young GM, and Murphy, well, he’s damn good at real estate developments but up to this season, has literally had his hands completely off the wheel.  It’s now on these two gentlemen to right this ship (dumpster fire as the article puts it).  I hope to God they’re up to the job.

Not reading it because Bleacher Report, but sounds like it's not entirely off. 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

The one thing PFF can get right is OL and DL.  I stand by their ratings of OL and DL after really doing some soul-searching on PFF after Ray confronted me on using it for any other position.  It's crap for almost every single position other than DL and OL, but it is probably the best source for judging OL/DL other than watching. 

With that in mind, it's proof of everything I have been saying all season. 

Rodgers had a really bad year. 

Not saying he had people streaking open every single play or anything, but it's a different season if Rodgers plays more like Brees or Brady.  A completely different season.  We're probably in the playoffs right now if he'd done that, if he'd trusted his targets more, if he'd gotten rid of the ball faster, if he'd taken more chances instead of just throwing it away. 

He played a selfish season. 

It's the one reason why I wouldn't be livid if we hired McDaniels.  McDaniels might make everything crash and burn, but then again he might get Rodgers to open his eyes. 

PFF thinks Corey Linsley is an elite player. They're not great on the lines either. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

PFF thinks Corey Linsley is an elite player. They're not great on the lines either. 

Like I said - I dont collect data / thought there - but if they graded our OL the best pass blocking unit in the NFL. I need to watch a broader range of NFL games - cause I thought our blocking was.........well, not best in the league. Thats all I'll say.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

No they don't.  They literally have him rated as above average.  Not even good.  Above average. 

Elite, High Quality, Good, Above, Average, Below, Poor.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/corey-linsley/8796

Would you not agree that above average is a fitting rating for Corey Linsley? 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

No they don't.  They literally have him rated as above average.  Not even good.  Above average. 

Elite, High Quality, Good, Above, Average, Below, Poor.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/corey-linsley/8796

Would you not agree that above average is a fitting rating for Corey Linsley? 

I don't think Corey Linsley is a top 6 Center in the NFL. Borderline Top 12 guy in my book.

I don't think we have anywhere near the problems we have on the interior this year if we had one near stud in that group. 

• Like 1

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't think Corey Linsley is a top 6 Center in the NFL. Borderline Top 12 guy in my book.

I don't think we have anywhere near the problems we have on the interior this year if we had one near stud in that group. 

Above average isn't a top 6 center though.  All above average means is top 15.  I'd say that's accurate. 

Anyway, it's why I want Bulaga back and going to guard. 

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

Like I said - I dont collect data / thought there - but if they graded our OL the best pass blocking unit in the NFL. I need to watch a broader range of NFL games - cause I thought our blocking was.........well, not best in the league. Thats all I'll say.

We were good overall. We weren't elite We started out excellent and as injuries hit we started to fall off. 

22 minutes ago, Leader said:

I dont keep track of PFF - but thought this an interesting thought.......

Fennell:

So @PFF has Packers OL w/the best pass blocking grade in 2018. In a year allowing 50+ sacks and led NFL in 3rd down sacks.
Saying their OL had the best pass blocking grade is the biggest indictment on QB play & scheme there could possibly be. Rodgers was beyond bad...

Oh yeah. I'm not sitting there watching all-22, but essentially a QB's back foot should hit the ground on the last step of his drop, count "1, 2, 3" and the ball in most cases should be gone. A player of Rodgers' caliber should be through all his reads by "3" and know whether or not there's anything there. If there's nothing there, toss it or pull it down and run. 

There is a lot of nuance in this though - 

- is the QB just not seeing anything there? That's a QB or coaching problem. Is no one getting open? That's a WR or scheme problem. I see a LOT of Rodgers setting up, I count to "3" and keep counting to 6 or 7, and he's just camped out in the pocket not throwing; jailbreak sacks where the pass rush is on him before he has a chance to throw or even set are relatively rare. 

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

What are the 5-10 better OC than Linsley?  I have a slightly above average view of Linsley as well, but would be interested in your take on the position league wide.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/center/

Frederick is still the top of the class in my book. Those drive skills are special.

Mack is slowing down a bit, but that's a spot you can play until your 35 and he's a pro's pro.

Pouncey is also slowing down from being just an overwhelmingly good athlete at that spot to being more of a traditional pivot.

Kelce is rock solid in there.

Kalil isn't the man he once was, but that's still a good ball player.

Linder has been down most of the year, but he's stronger and quicker than Linsley when right. 

I've always felt Richburg is a bit overrated, but he's in a heavy clump of guys including Linsley, so maybe that grade isn't terrible for Linsley. 

Maybe I'm just being overly negative on the guy, but even if he is a top 6 Center, I'm not seeing "Top 10 Impact".

Maybe I am just too harsh on him though. We've been doing something right running the ball at least. 

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Frederick is still the top of the class in my book. Those drive skills are special.

Mack is slowing down a bit, but that's a spot you can play until your 35 and he's a pro's pro.

Pouncey is also slowing down from being just an overwhelmingly good athlete at that spot to being more of a traditional pivot.

Kelce is rock solid in there.

Kalil isn't the man he once was, but that's still a good ball player.

Linder has been down most of the year, but he's stronger and quicker than Linsley when right. 

I've always felt Richburg is a bit overrated, but he's in a heavy clump of guys including Linsley, so maybe that grade isn't terrible for Linsley. 

Maybe I'm just being overly negative on the guy, but even if he is a top 6 Center, I'm not seeing "Top 10 Impact".

Maybe I am just too harsh on him though. We've been doing something right running the ball at least. 

@AlexGreen#20  Thanks for providing your thoughts.

Frederick has not played in 2018.  He should be back in 2019, but it is still an unknown what he will be coming back from the Guillione -Barre syndrome illness.  Neurological issues like that are always an uncertainty.  

In the end, I think GB is getting pretty solid value from the Linsley with the contract he has.  

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

His grade is 6th not too far fetched. Have you seen NFL OL play?

And that's kinda what I'm observing. 

In my head a guy who's a borderline top 5, 10, 15, etc. guy should be hitting on a certain amount of his combo blocks and should have a certain pressure rate. And Linsley's not where I have those markers set.

But I'm looking at that list of warm bodies and I don't have 10 guys on there that are hitting those marks.