Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Free agency will be a lot more entertaining.

I have always thought that the lack of free agency activity made the job harder for sports writers- far fewer stories to write about.

Gute is going to be extra busy in free agency this offseason.  He's going to want to give the new head coach as much ammo to work with as he can. 

20 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Gute is going to be extra busy in free agency this offseason.  He's going to want to give the new head coach as much ammo to work with as he can. 

That and there's a reasonably generous cushion AND needs - no more CM3 at $10 mil, but that also means that GB needs one or more edge rushers. Cobb leaving hurts WR depth. Etc. 

On 1/7/2019 at 9:56 PM, {Family Ghost} said:

Agreed that FA is in play, but what would mAtt yearn for in the draft? We have gotten so used to spending early draft capital on defense I don’t even know how to dream about multiple early picks on the other side of the ball. 

What would that look like? Tackle, TE, WR?

SI just published an in depth article on Sam Shields and his time away from football and his return to the game
Some really interesting findings from the team at UCLA who helped him heal from the concussion and overcome the mental challenges he faced in daily life

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/10/sam-shields-los-angeles-rams-concussion-comeback?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=themmqb

worth the read

31 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

SI just published an in depth article on Sam Shields and his time away from football and his return to the game
Some really interesting findings from the team at UCLA who helped him heal from the concussion and overcome the mental challenges he faced in daily life

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/10/sam-shields-los-angeles-rams-concussion-comeback?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=themmqb

worth the read

so glad he got his life back. i wish the Packers wouldve stuck with him through it all but i get the business side of things.

Lets hope Goff and Co can get him another ring. 

2 minutes ago, gopackgo247 said:

i wish the Packers wouldve stuck with him through it all

Couple of considerations on that front
1st, Shields was facing a suspension for buying/possessing weed in GB and 2nd, he had to travel to LA for his treatments
CA is a weed-friendly state and the Rams were both local and willing to take a chance

As you noted, glad it worked out well for the guy and my guess is that he's going to deliver a playoff INT for the Rams

23 minutes ago, gopackgo247 said:

so glad he got his life back. i wish the Packers wouldve stuck with him through it all but i get the business side of things.

Lets hope Goff and Co can get him another ring. 

It better be this year.  Next year they'd need to go through LaFluer's Packers!

31 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Couple of considerations on that front
1st, Shields was facing a suspension for buying/possessing weed in GB and 2nd, he had to travel to LA for his treatments
CA is a weed-friendly state and the Rams were both local and willing to take a chance

As you noted, glad it worked out well for the guy and my guess is that he's going to deliver a playoff INT for the Rams

Third, GB’s doctors are notoriously conservative and I honestly doubt they were ever going to clear someone with his history to play again. 

16 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Third, GB’s doctors are notoriously conservative and I honestly doubt they were ever going to clear someone with his history to play again. 

forth, he made way too much money.  We couldn't afford to take those cap hits while he wasn't playing.

Edited by SSG

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

worth the read

Dr Giza is one of the better ones in the country.  Glad Sam found his way there.  Disappointing to hear the lack of up to date treatment approach from GB.

From Rob Demovsky: 

The Packers used 32 defensive players in 2018, 2 more than in any season since ‘13 & 8 more than in ‘14. Injuries hit even harder on special teams, where they used 63 different players – 5 more than in ‘17 and 10 more than in ‘16.

• Like 1

Am I the only one that really likes Martinez?  When he can run free, man, he knocks guys backwards.  He seems very instinctive, too.  I wish we could have seen him with Daniels and Mo in front of him more.

I think the key to that ILB position is two fold...find another one to pair with Martinez and keeping those DL fresh and healthy in front of him.

Okay, as I typed that, is a "duh" post...but....do others like Martinez or is he "meh"?

• Like 2