Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

On 1/11/2019 at 11:02 PM, Dubz41 said:

I like Martinez. I also liked AJ Hawk.  Martinez was a better draft value, but I think - if you're being honest- his comp IS AJ Hawk.  Steady and sure, but nothing exciting.  Tons of tackles but NO turnovers.  Devin White at #12 isn't bat**** crazy.

I feel like Jake Ryan is Hawk 2.0. Martinez is a little better than that. Hawk was just a garbageman. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I don't think Martinez is an all-pro, but he's probably the best ILB GB has had since....well, not counting when Matthews was in the middle....since Nick Barnett? 

Desmond Bishop imo.

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I feel like Jake Ryan is Hawk 2.0. Martinez is a little better than that. Hawk was just a garbageman. 

That's just harsh. That garbage man has a Superbowl ring. And he was integral in obtaining it. Martinez walks in his shadow.

17 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

That's just harsh. That garbage man has a Superbowl ring. And he was integral in obtaining it. Martinez walks in his shadow.

I'm no Hawk hater (I had his jersey, in fact) but I feel like I've seen Blake make more plays behind the line of scrimmage than Hawk ever did.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

12 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

11 hours ago, Lodestar said:

I'm no Hawk hater (I had his jersey, in fact) but I feel like I've seen Blake make more plays behind the line of scrimmage than Hawk ever did.

I liked AJ...no hate here.

But...when looking at the two...Martinez is more physical.  When he hits guys, they stop or go backwards.  Hawk seemed to catch a lot of tackles and end up way downfield.

Both seems to have great awareness out there.  I think Martinez is better than Hawk.

Are the Packers and Lambeau Field about to lose a record? The chatter is about how cold the upcoming NE/KC game will be.
So - not knowing the exact record (but thinking the Ice Bowl would be in the running....) I got conflicting data:

In National Football League (NFL) lore, the Freezer Bowl was the 1981 American Football Conference (AFC) Championship Game between the San Diego Chargers and the Cincinnati Bengals. The game, won by the Bengals, 27–7, was played in the coldest temperature in NFL history in terms of wind chill.

The coldest on record is the the 1967 NFL championship game, also known as the Ice Bowl, is the coldest game in the history of the NFL. The temperature in Green Bay when the Packers and Cowboys kicked off was 13-below.

So basically its the Ice Bowl - unless wind chill is factored in?

From SI:

• "The Ice Bowl", Green Bay Packers vs. Dallas Cowboys: Dec. 31, 1967 at Lambeau Field
Temperature: -13 degrees / Wind chill: - 48 degrees

• AFC Championship Game, Cincinnati Bengals vs. San Diego Chargers: Jan. 10, 1982 at Riverfront Stadium
Temperature: -9 degrees / Wind chill: -59 degrees

• AFC Playoffs, Buffalo Bills vs. Los Angeles Rams: Jan. 15, 1994 at Ralph Wilson Stadium
Temperature: 0 degrees / Wind chill: -32 degrees

• Minnesota Vikings vs. Chicago Bears: Dec. 3, 1972 at Metropolitan Stadium
Temperature: -2 degrees / Wind chill: -26 degrees

• NFC Championship Game, Green Bay Packers vs. New York Giants: Jan. 20, 2008 at Lambeau Field
Temperature: -4 degrees / Wind chill: -24 degrees

• Minnesota Vikings vs.Green Bay Packers: Dec. 10, 1972 at Metropolitan Stadium
Temperature: 0 degrees / Wind chill: -18 degrees

• AFC divisional playoff, Cleveland Browns vs. Oakland Raiders: Jan. 4, 1981 at Cleveland Municipal Stadium
Temperature: -5 degrees

• Green Bay Packers vs. Los Angeles Raiders: Dec. 26, 1993 at Lambeau Field
Temperature: 0 degrees

• Green Bay Packers vs. Detroit Lions: Dec. 22, 1990 at Lambeau Field
Temperature: Two degrees

Come on Ice Bowl! :)

Edited by Leader

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I liked AJ...no hate here.

But...when looking at the two...Martinez is more physical.  When he hits guys, they stop or go backwards.  Hawk seemed to catch a lot of tackles and end up way downfield.

Both seems to have great awareness out there.  I think Martinez is better than Hawk.

I think Martinez is quicker than AJ, but I've really kind of soured on him over the last half of the season.  I understand that a lot of his DLine was gone, but that's when he needed to step up.  Maybe he was hurt or nicked up, but most of his tackles going down the stretch were five yards downfield.  Just my observation, but once you notice it you can't un-see it.  I hope he can restore my confidence in him, but right now ILB is gaining steam as a 'need' on this defense.

21 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I think Martinez is quicker than AJ, but I've really kind of soured on him over the last half of the season.  I understand that a lot of his DLine was gone, but that's when he needed to step up.  Maybe he was hurt or nicked up, but most of his tackles going down the stretch were five yards downfield.  Just my observation, but once you notice it you can't un-see it.  I hope he can restore my confidence in him, but right now ILB is gaining steam as a 'need' on this defense.

I get that, but he was playing on a rolled ankle as well as the depleted Dline.  

And he did jump out at me the last few games of the year.  When he hit guys...they went backwards, and quickly.  I loved that.

And I'd very much like to pair him with another good ILB.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Leader said:

Are the Packers and Lambeau Field about to lose a record? The chatter is about how cold the upcoming NE/KC game will be.
So - not knowing the exact record (but thinking the Ice Bowl would be in the running....) I got conflicting data:

In National Football League (NFL) lore, the Freezer Bowl was the 1981 American Football Conference (AFC) Championship Game between the San Diego Chargers and the Cincinnati Bengals. The game, won by the Bengals, 27–7, was played in the coldest temperature in NFL history in terms of wind chill.

The coldest on record is the the 1967 NFL championship game, also known as the Ice Bowl, is the coldest game in the history of the NFL. The temperature in Green Bay when the Packers and Cowboys kicked off was 13-below.

From SI:

• "The Ice Bowl", Green Bay Packers vs. Dallas Cowboys: Dec. 31, 1967 at Lambeau Field

• AFC Championship Game, Cincinnati Bengals vs. San Diego Chargers: Jan. 10, 1982 at Riverfront Stadium

• AFC Playoffs, Buffalo Bills vs. Los Angeles Rams: Jan. 15, 1994 at Ralph Wilson Stadium

• NFC Championship Game, Green Bay Packers vs. New York Giants: Jan. 20, 2008 at Lambeau Field

• AFC divisional playoff, Cleveland Browns vs. Oakland Raiders: Jan. 4, 1981 at Cleveland Municipal Stadium

• Green Bay Packers vs. Los Angeles Raiders: Dec. 26, 1993 at Lambeau Field

Not surprised many of those "coldest games" were played on the Frozen Tundra.  I'm thinking old man Brady is going to be a frozen statue on Sunday.  Chiefs just need to get after him before his patented 3-step dump-offs are deployed.

2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Not surprised many of those "coldest games" were played on the Frozen Tundra.  I'm thinking old man Brady is going to be a frozen statue on Sunday.  Chiefs just need to get after him before his patented 3-step dump-offs are deployed.

You mean they gotta take him out before the coin toss?

3 hours ago, Leader said:

From SI:

Green Bay Packers vs. Los Angeles Raiders: Dec. 26, 1993 at Lambeau Field

the '93 Pack-Raiders game was -39 degrees with the wind chill at kickoff and got colder as the game went on ... got reeeeeallllly cold in the 3rd when the sun dropped down behind the skyboxes.

Hell of a game in the old green barn ... my 1st trip to Lambeau, shut out the Raiders, Reggie was a monster, & Butler did the 1st Lambeau Leap.