Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Below is a list of the Packers coaching staff circa December 2017.

Not many have survived the purge.

Offensive Coaches

·       Head Coach – Mike McCarthy

·       Associate Head Coach/Linebackers – Winston Moss

·       Offensive Coordinator – Edgar Bennett

·       Quarterbacks – Alex Van Pelt

·       Running Backs – Ben Sirmans 

·       Wide Receivers – Luke Getsy

·       Tight Ends – Brian Angelichio

·       Offensive Line – James Campen

·       Assistant Offensive Line – David Raih

Defensive coaches

·       Defensive Coordinator – Dom Capers

·       Defensive Line – Mike Trgovac

·       Assistant Linebackers – Scott McCurley

·       Secondary (Cornerbacks) – Joe Whitt Jr.

·       Secondary (Safeties) – Darren Perry

·       Defensive Front Assistant – Jerry Montgomery

·       Defensive Quality Control – Tim McGarigle

Special Teams Coaches

·       Special Teams Coordinator – Ron Zook

·       Assistant Special Teams – Jason Simmons

11 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Wonder if Ron Zook is in demand around the NFL?

Uh, probably not.

The Packers STs ranked 32nd. Again.

https://footballmaven.io/talkoffame/nfl/rick-gosselin-s-2018-nfl-special-teams-rankings-MbGJNF3fzUq4AiEDITayKQ/

It's such an embarrassment .. year after year.  Too bad we can't find the dough to pay Darren Rizzi.  His Dolphins S/T unit was 4th.  That's way to successful for GB standards.

12 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's such an embarrassment .. year after year.  Too bad we can't find the dough to pay Darren Rizzi.  His Dolphins S/T unit was 4th.  That's way to successful for GB standards.

He must be asking a lot/ asst HC or something too because other teams are hiring St coordinators too and not hiring him. Wonder if his price demands come down or if he just returns to Miami?

12 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

We did find the dough. We still have to pay McCarthy this year, but LaFleur's contract starting in 2020 is stated to be $5m, and Mike's was $9m. 

That's what I'm frustrated about. Stretch the extra $5m we are going to pay LaFleur in 2019 over the 4 years of his contract and that is $1.25m per year, meaning we are saving apx $2.75m per year on our HC salary. 

Just now, JBURGE said:

We did find the dough. We still have to pay McCarthy this year, but LaFleur's contract starting in 2020 is stated to be $5m, and Mike's was $9m. 

That's what I'm frustrated about. Stretch the extra $5m we are going to pay LaFleur in 2019 over the 4 years of his contract and that is $1.25m per year, meaning we are saving apx $2.75m per year on our HC salary. 

Or maybe it isn't the money?  Kruse speculated that it was money, and we're taking and running with it.  As far as I'm aware, Kruse has no connection or insight.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Or maybe it isn't the money?  Kruse speculated that it was money, and we're taking and running with it.  As far as I'm aware, Kruse has no connection or insight.

I obviously know just as little as you do. I actually think that it wasn't about money, because if both sides were interested and with those savings from the new coach, I can't understand why money would be the issue. It makes no sense

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I don't care about Kruse or whoever .... there is a top notch S/T coordinator available who actually came in for a two day visit and we didn't get him inked for some reason.  

Just now, JBURGE said:

I obviously know just as little as you do. I actually think that it wasn't about money, because if both sides were interested and with those savings from the new coach, I can't understand why money would be the issue. It makes no sense

I think this is probably the real reason as well. There were difference of opinion on organizational authority more likely.

• Like 1

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't care about Kruse or whoever .... there is a top notch S/T coordinator available who actually came in for a two day visit and we didn't get him inked for some reason.  

Remember, it takes two to tango.  The Packers may have very well offered him a contract, and he declined to sign.  Is that the Packers' fault?  No.

2 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

We're not saving money, at least not this year.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Remember, it takes two to tango.  The Packers may have very well offered him a contract, and he declined to sign.  Is that the Packers' fault?  No.

Unless you know the contract value offer, it very well could have been GB fault.  

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I don't know what S/T coordinators make in the NFL, but it goes without saying that Rizzi should receive payola in the top 5 range in the league.  He's got the stats to back up the high price tag.  If you are serious about special teams you hire the best available.  For the guy to make a visit there had to be certain agreements and levels of interest.