Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't see a team even considering adding the financial and draft pick burden to add both Rodgers and Bakh together. Maybe if both were in their 20s. Rodgers will be traded on his own, if it all. The combining two superstar deals that fans want never ever happens.

You could be right. I was also skeptical at first with this concept. But this is a highly unusual situation. There are simply too few recent precedents of this type of deal (trading HoF QBs) to have a large enough sample size to make a blanket statement like that.

Three teams have the cap space and need for a T and a QB, and likely they believe they can win a SB if they obtain them. I think it could actually be on the table for once.

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

That's 3 league average LT's you listed. 

If Rodgers is traded, next season isn't about W/L's, starting a rebuild or any of that other stuff. It's just about seeing what Jordan Love is. We are at a crossroads until we know the answer to that question. I'd rather have an elite LT and LG versus tossing that elite LG to LT and making him average, and adding a top 50 pick. Give Love the best chance to succeed. 

The two best OL's in the NFL are playing in the SB. Don't mess with that group, add to it. 

I agree, but I'm generally just curious what the coaching staff thinks.

Could Jenkins play as an above average LT? Possibly.

Could Tom play as an above average OT? He has the movement skills to.

Could Nijman play as an above average RT? Unlikely, but he could improve if he had a full offseason to prepare.

I don't want to give away and elite LT either, but he may only have a year or two left and this team will be looking to free up cap space. I have yet to do a mock offseason, but I do know that repairing the cap situation will require hard decisions. All I'd say is that I'm listening to offers.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Not sure what your point has to do with trading Bakh, we don't really save any money, the Raiders would already give us picks, they aren't going to add enough picks to make trading anyone else worthwhile from our roster. Keep Bakh, keep Jones, give Love the best chance to show if he is or isn't the guy. 

If Love is off to a hot start like that, extend him by the bye week. 30-35m a year for a QB is the new "team friendly deal" make a majority of the bonuses roster bonuses that can convert to SB.

Make Love suck in his first year and make it difficult for him so he doesn’t look as good as he otherwise would.

We aren’t winning **** if we pay love 30-35 million per year.

JosinaAnderson -  I’m told Cardinals cornerbacks coach Greg Williams is expected to join the Packers staff as pass game coordinator/ cornerbacks coach.

• Andy Herman -  Gets the full passing game coordinator title that Jerry Gray left behind. Pretty decent promotion for Williams.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

That's 3 league average LT's you listed. 

If Rodgers is traded, next season isn't about W/L's, starting a rebuild or any of that other stuff. It's just about seeing what Jordan Love is. We are at a crossroads until we know the answer to that question. I'd rather have an elite LT and LG versus tossing that elite LG to LT and making him average, and adding a top 50 pick. Give Love the best chance to succeed. 

The two best OL's in the NFL are playing in the SB. Don't mess with that group, add to it. 

You haven't even given Tom a chance. Bak was 'league' average his second year too. Tom has elite athleticism and a year in the weight room this kid is going to be a star. 

In my scenario you still have your elite LG and an up-and-coming elite LT. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

That is sad! Hope all goes well! Hip replacement is not as long a recovery as knee replacement. Hope he's getting around soon. 

He's a QB.....but he's on operations 24 and 25.
You get well paid to play in the NFL....but there's payback.

49 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Decisions have consequences. It was a weird choice on draft night and unfortunately it hasn't aged well. 

I'm going to blame Rodgers, rumor has it he did not want a left-handed center. Said the ball would spin differently and easy to fumble. 

*He didn't really say that I just made that up! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leader said:

The Packers Wire -    The fifth-year option for QB Jordan Love would cost the Packers a little over $20 million during the 2024 season. The team must make that decision this offseason.

Gute said a few weeks back that the Packers opting for Loves 5th year "is not a given"

I found that interesting.

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Gute said a few weeks back that the Packers opting for Loves 5th year "is not a given"

I found that interesting.

IF Rodgers comes back I think the window to trade Love is this offseason, otherwise getting anything for the investment of the initial draft pick and the devleopment becomes significantly less next year. 

IF we are trading him I think a fair deal would be for a 2nd rounder this year with a conditional 1st next year.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

IF Rodgers comes back I think the window to trade Love is this offseason, otherwise getting anything for the investment of the initial draft pick and the devleopment becomes significantly less next year. 

IF we are trading him I think a fair deal would be for a 2nd rounder this year with a conditional 1st next year.

Oh man. That scenario has worst nightmare written all over it.