Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

54 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Not to mention that complaining about not having a Kelce is low-hanging fruit. Like, no s*, Sherlock, every team would like a Kelce. But do you know how hard it is to find a great TE & how few of them there are in the league? Maybe 4 or 5 at a given time?

The difference between Kelce and the second in receiving yards is the same as the difference between second place and 14th place.

Kelce had more receiving yards than 6th and 7th place combined.

Kelce had the same amount of touchdowns as 4th and 5th in touchdowns.

People are ****ing stupid as **** when it comes to tight ends.

Yeah let’s get ourselves a Travis Kelce. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The difference between Kelce and the second in receiving yards is the same as the difference between second place and 14th place.

I wish we had. His talent was obvious at Cincinnati. But he definitely isn't a church boy so we wouldn't have drafted him.

Kelce is such a misnomer in terms of yards and contract value. In the last 4 seasons he has put up 5108 yards. The next closest TE in terms of yards over the last four years is Andrews who has put up 3761 yards.

To put that in further context over the last four years Davante Adams has 5440 yards, and Tyreek Hill has 5085 yards, Kupp has 4894 yards and DeAndre Hopkins has 3861 yards.

What even more insane is how much he is getting paid for that level of production. Kelce is on $14m AAV, while these guys are getting paid from $30m AAV to $27m AAV. Just cos he is labelled a TE and that he signed his contract before the WR market went nuts. What Kelce does and what he gets paid is extraordinary.  

Actually how the whole TE market gets paid makes no sense at all. It is all over the place. Guys like Njoku are on $13.7m AAV and Bobby T has put up more yards than him over the last 4 years. I really worry that Bobby T is going to price himself out of Green Bay. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 9:15 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

None of those three guys even sniff the HOF in my mind.  That said, there are a few that I think are not deserving already in, so who knows.  

With most HsoF, you celebrate the ones you agree with and shrug and go "whaddayagonnado" when they elect someone you think doesn't belong. 

On 2/12/2023 at 4:12 PM, hitnhope said:

LOL at "evidence".

There is a difference between worst drafter ever and drafting well enough to build a winner.  Wouldn't expect someone who calls the stuff posted "evidence" to understand that difference.

Striker has shown the work on this at least twice. Gute drafts as well as most GMs who are revered here for winning a Super Bowl or two. 

On 2/14/2023 at 1:27 PM, vegas492 said:

Talking about Amari....I know I've bagged plenty on him.  

And we know he couldn't return punts or kicks.

But I just wonder what would have happened had we given him opportunity at WR.  And a QB that might actually throw him the ball.

Maybe he wouldn't look all that useless.  Maybe.

In 6 games (1 start) with HOU he had 12 catches on 17 targets (70.6 catch rate!) for 154 yds and a td, charged with 1 fumble. I don't have his PFF score or anything beyond the raw numbers. Extrapolating that out he could've been a 40-500ish player, so probably not awful for a 3rd rounder (or was he a second)? 

It's probably also notable Hou didn't have him back on returns. 

5 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Let's also point out that the guy who's 2nd in yards (Andrews) has hands that are....let's call them "inconsistent" and if he played here people would be calling for his head. Kittle is probably the 2nd best TE (maybe the best talent when you factor i his all-around game) but has missed quite a bit of time with injury. Waller was also crazy productive for a couple years but fell off due to injury. 

I'd certainly love to upgrade TE, but in reality you have Kelce, the guys above, a handful of 50-60 catch players, and then the rest better be able to block because they're about as much a receiving threat as my 90 yr old grandma. 

9 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Naw.  Eddie Lacy is the better choice.  

14 hours ago, Green19 said:

Everyone is complaining about not having kelece… yet the chiefs also have Mahomes. Who is currently a better QB than Rodgers and was hands down better this past year.

He is also younger, in his prime, and likely has a better connection with his team and coaches. Likely also isn’t forcing sky Moore to know hand signals from when he was in pop Warner.

The situations are completely different. So to act like in some reality they are comparable is hilarious. GB’s offense with Rodgers and Adams ran thru Adams. The offense in KC never ran thru Hill… it goes thru Kelece.

@PackFan13 is a big boy and can defend himself, so I'm not here to do that at all.

However....Prior to this year, the gap between Mahomes and Rodgers was not as great.  Rodgers was the reigning 2X MVP after all.  So while I believe Mahomes to be the better QB, it was not by much at all.

When you talk about hand signals?  Well, I saw enough Chiefs games this year to know that Moore wasn't on the field all that much and did make plenty of mistakes.  (Not sure if via hand signals, though, lol)  What I didn't see was Mahomes looking frustrated with him.  Mistakes to Mahomes are like water on a ducks back, they just roll off.

I think that point of the Cobb tweet was this...look at what the Chiefs did to replace Hill.  They did a lot, worked every angle and they made deals.

I have little doubt that Gute worked the phones hard to find us a WR, and maybe he did offer a first for Moore.  But KC actually got deals done, in free agency and via trade.

And I find it ironic that someone would illustrate Cobb liking a tweet.  Because Cobb was one of the guys we invested in to replace Adams.  And I feel like his contract was very similar to Ju-Ju.  And Ju-Ju by far outproduced Cobb.

KC got two vets in MVS and Ju-Ju.  Got Toney via trade.  Drafted Moore.  (while having Kelce)

GB got 2 vets in Watkins and Cobb.  Drafted Watson, Doubs and Toure.  (while bringing Tonyan back in FA)

In other words...Cobb should look in a mirror and understand that what GB did wasn't all that different.  The issue is that the vets brought in didn't work out like the Chiefs vets.

4 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Striker has shown the work on this at least twice. Gute drafts as well as most GMs who are revered here for winning a Super Bowl or two. 

We can agree to disagree.   I think there were HUGE flaws in the data used to "prove" he is an average drafter.  It was more a case of garbage in = garbage out.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

We can agree to disagree.   I think there were HUGE flaws in the data used to "prove" he is an average drafter.  It was more a case of garbage in = garbage out.

Three straight 13-win seasons in a row does not happen if you don't acquire good, young talent to go with some talented vets. That is the only data I need. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Three straight 13-win seasons in a row does not happen if you don't acquire good, young talent to go with some talented vets. That is the only data I need. 

That is the ultimate point. The results indicate a team was created to compete and it did!