Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Jones gets to come back, days after giving a gushing interview about Jordan Love.

Front office told him to do it or he would be cut.

Just connecting the dots on this one, boys.

And...can't wait until we draft that Texas RB in round one and have the best RB room in the league!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Jones gets to come back, days after giving a gushing interview about Jordan Love.

Front office told him to do it or he would be cut.

Just connecting the dots on this one, boys.

And...can't wait until we draft that Texas RB in round one and have the best RB room in the league!

He also "gushed" about Rodgers in that interview FWIW

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

These are the indicators that Rodgers will (or will not) be back.

If Jones, Cobb, Lewis, Crosby are back the Packers are going with AR one more year. If these guys are gone they are looking to the future and Love.

You'll know if Rodgers is back before any of those guys are signed. Jones was likely coming back regardless.

Edited by NFLGURU

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

Jonesey was coming back either way. This idea that transitioning to Love = cut all our good players is odd to me.

I'm not sure that was ever a real scenario tbh.  Even listening to Gute's post-season press conference, Gute was very clear that he saw Aaron Jones being a Packer in 2023.  Now, he wasn't going to have his $20M+ cap hit, but there wasn't any reason to believe that he wouldn't be back.  And it wasn't like Aaron Jones wasn't good last year.  It's just RBs aren't worth $20M+ cap hits no matter which way you slice it.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Gute was pretty emphatic that he wanted Jones back this year ... he wasn't so emphatic when asked if he wanted Rodgers back.  He was much more dodgy in his wording.  

Yeah I may be paraphrasing but when they asked "do you want Rodgers back" he said "well we want everyone back". Far less enthusiasm.

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

I do wonder though if this is a one year restructure for aaron jones to stay around or two?

Technically, we are still going to have this issue next year as well.  His cap hit next year is at $17.7M next year, and $6.6M in dead cap if they let that contract play out.  If they restructure it again, you're effectively doubling that dead cap if I'm correct.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure that was ever a real scenario tbh.  Even listening to Gute's post-season press conference, Gute was very clear that he saw Aaron Jones being a Packer in 2023.  Now, he wasn't going to have his $20M+ cap hit, but there wasn't any reason to believe that he wouldn't be back.  And it wasn't like Aaron Jones wasn't good last year.  It's just RBs aren't worth $20M+ cap hits no matter which way you slice it.

Agreed, but on here there's been a lot of chatter about Jones getting cut.

I actually thought an extension might have been on the table, and really wouldn't have minded it since we've intentionally kept his workload low. Could be a Tiki Barber type who can continue to excel into his early 30s.

13 minutes ago, gopackgo972 said:

Dillon has lost 1 fumble in 3 seasons. 

What does this have to do with your point?  Dillon has lost 1 fumble, he's also been significantly less productive than Jones.  Jones has fumbled more than I'd like sure, but he's got less fumbles since Dillon was drafted than Dalvin Cook and Derrick Henry and 1 more than Josh Jacobs and Jonathan Taylor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

How many yards is Jones away from all time leading rusher for GB…. Does he have a shot at it now?

Not likely if he’s only here for 2 more seasons. Ahman Green is at 8322yd & Jim Taylor at 8207yd. Jones is #3 at 5284yd. So I think they are stilll out of reach unless he explodes for a couple 1500+yd seasons. He’d probably need a 3rd season.

I think he can reach #2 in rush TD, #2 in RB scrimmage yds, #2 in RB scrimmage TD’s. If we widen it to WR/RB, can get #3 in scrimmage yd, & #3 in scrimmage TD’s. 

44 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

What does this have to do with your point?  Dillon has lost 1 fumble, he's also been significantly less productive than Jones.  Jones has fumbled more than I'd like sure, but he's got less fumbles since Dillon was drafted than Dalvin Cook and Derrick Henry and 1 more than Josh Jacobs and Jonathan Taylor. 

He fumbles more than you would like though. So it’s an issue for you.