Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

On 2/20/2023 at 6:32 AM, Sandy said:

Thank you all for the recent examples. Sounds like some could be argued are balanced teams.

I think this does kill the concept of "defense wins championships" a bit. In this day and age an elite offense is enough - the rule changes made sure of it. Defenses can win championships, but no longer are a prerequisite.

I can see Jordan Love taking this team to a deep playoff run. It's a weak conference and we have a weak schedule. Even if Joe Barry leads an average defense, that might be enough to do it.

That could be the same reason Rodgers decides to come back.

Yeah but to have an elite offense, you usually need an elite QB or at least a high end QB.

This is no knock on Love, but the odds on him being an elite QB first year on the job is extremely low.  All very well saying its a weak conference but when you have a defence that has been a let down and your QB is an unproven first year starter then you are unlikely to be relevant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

Yeah but to have an elite offense, you usually need an elite QB or at least a high end QB.

This is no knock on Love, but the odds on him being an elite QB first year on the job is extremely low.  All very well saying its a weak conference but when you have a defence that has been a let down and your QB is an unproven first year starter then you are unlikely to be relevant.

Good thing it’s not his first year. 😜

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

He's going to have some growing pains for sure.  Agree odds are he won't be elite.  He may be very good give us a shot at the playoffs.  We won't be contending for a title whether it's Rodgers or Love. 

4 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Fourth year QB. With all four years in the same offense. With a potentially dominant offensive line, Christian Watson and Aaron Jones carrying a top 12ish defense through the playoffs. 

If Love is any good we'll know this year. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'd bring him back at that price, and then spend a high pick on a TE in the draft.

I'd see if he wanted a longer term deal and build off of that contract.

...and I'd still pick a TE in round 2 or 4.  But never again in round 3.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Spotrac has Tonyan's expected contract at 1 year, $5.093M.

For whatever that is worth.

I think that is well off base for his production. I mean Tyler Coklin is getting nearly $7m a year!!!!

I really think he can command around $8m AAV, those guys listed above who have similar production are around that level or more and factor in that Tonyan missed half a season of action in 2021, his production level would be higher.

In other news Robert Woods has been released by the Titans. Always liked him

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

I think that is well off base for his production. I mean Tyler Coklin is getting nearly $7m a year!!!!

I really think he can command around $8m AAV, those guys listed above who have similar production are around that level or more and factor in that Tonyan missed half a season of action in 2021, his production level would be higher.

In other news Robert Woods has been released by the Titans. Always liked him

Conklin didn't have a shredded knee prior to signing that deal.  

Tonyans one good year came when he was healthy.