Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Gary, Smith, top 2 round pick, Enagbare, Hollins is a fine EDGE group. Could become elite depending how much the draft pick contributes year 1.

Garvin is still in the mix. This is the year he has to turn his physical tools into production

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Gary, Smith, top 2 round pick, Enagbare, Hollins is a fine EDGE group. Could become elite depending how much the draft pick contributes year 1.

Yea, as much as I enjoyed the Garvin/Hamilton combo rushing off the edge the last couple of years, I'll take a 2nd year Enagbare and Hollins. 

1 minute ago, HokieHigh said:

Garvin is still in the mix. This is the year he has to turn his physical tools into production

I know it's not the case and he's actually still pretty young, but I feel like Garvin has been on the team for like 10 years lol. 

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Frankly, adding Hollins back makes a guy like Van Ness that much more enticing to me because he can slide inside too. The added depth gives us a bit more flexibility to maybe get a tools guy who isn't simply a true EDGE player. Could even go the other way with a guy like Nolan who wouldn't be a base EDGE player but could be a pass rush freak. 

4 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

He is and it is probably a make-or-break season for his career, but the Hollins signing isn't a positive in what the staff might be thinking of his future.  

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Meh, Garvin is bad. Slow, not explosive and no rush moves. 

He has elite explosiveness and looks like an absolute man out there. Bullrush is strong, can hold an edge. Just not enough moves in his toolbox and not violent enough with his hands to be effective IMO

1 minute ago, HokieHigh said:

He has elite explosiveness and looks like an absolute man out there. Bullrush is strong, can hold an edge. Just not enough moves in his toolbox and not violent enough with his hands to be effective IMO

1 sack in 673 defensive snaps.

Saying anything is "elite" about Garvin is pretty comical. He's about just a guy as they come. 

41 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Frankly, adding Hollins back makes a guy like Van Ness that much more enticing to me because he can slide inside too. The added depth gives us a bit more flexibility to maybe get a tools guy who isn't simply a true EDGE player. Could even go the other way with a guy like Nolan who wouldn't be a base EDGE player but could be a pass rush freak. 

I see this often.  Nolan as a pass rush freak.

I've watched a little of him and looked at his stats.  Not a lot of sacks.

Was it schematic?  Like did he just not rush?  Or is that he doesn't know how, despite having great measurables?

63 tackles 12.5 sacks.  Great season.  Only those are his cumulative stats over 4 seasons and 38 games.

Edited by vegas492