Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

My much bigger fear is that we consciously left a guy in charge of our defense who is going to turn out a bad-to-mid product regardless of whether we have Savage-Ford at safety or Ed Reed and Ronnie Lott. 

mlf said he is much more involved in defense now

Just now, HokieHigh said:

So rather than hire a competent DC, MLF is taking himself away from other aspects of his job to help his friend coach the defense. Hey, it's his rodeo. Just hope he's held accountable if it doesn't work. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Use PFF to track their efficiency stats and bulk numbers, but their grades are arbitrary. I was looking at his 2020 grades by game and vs Carolina that year he had no missed tackles and was 0/3 when targeted and they gave him like a 50 something.

Fact of the matter is, Savage trended towards and top 20 safety in the league his rookie year. Cemented himself as a top 10 safety by his soph season, started to fall apart in the middle of 2021 and then was abysmal for 3/4 of the 2022 before somewhat redeeming himself and finishing the season on an average note.

Adrian Amos also had far less of an impact in 2021 and was downright bad in 2022. Whatever Joe Barry is doing with our safeties, it isn't working.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

Yeah, I have to question how much help that's going to be.  If anything, I think he's been a committed supporter of the soft zone approach, play corners 10 yards off the line and back up further ASAP once the ball is snapped.  Give up lots of easy short stuff, just protect against the deep ball.  

3 minutes ago, craig said:

Yeah, I have to question how much help that's going to be.  If anything, I think he's been a committed supporter of the soft zone approach, play corners 10 yards off the line and back up further ASAP once the ball is snapped.  Give up lots of easy short stuff, just protect against the deep ball.  

You just described the league wide philosophy for playing defense. Avoid chunk plays at all costs. 

With all the complaining by fans the Packers were 6th in pass defense and tied for 4th in INT's. It wasn't as bad as some want to claim. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Use PFF to track their efficiency stats and bulk numbers, but their grades are arbitrary. I was looking at his 2020 grades by game and vs Carolina that year he had no missed tackles and was 0/3 when targeted and they gave him like a 50 something.

Fact of the matter is, Savage trended towards and top 20 safety in the league his rookie year. Cemented himself as a top 10 safety by his soph season, started to fall apart in the middle of 2021 and then was abysmal for 3/4 of the 2022 before somewhat redeeming himself and finishing the season on an average note.

Adrian Amos also had far less of an impact in 2021 and was downright bad in 2022. Whatever Joe Barry is doing with our safeties, it isn't working.

I hate Barry as much as anyone in here. However, could it be possible that a big part of this was Jerry Gray? We have always assumed that he was a very good DB coach, but there's a chance it wasn't that way.

4 hours ago, VonKarman said:

I hate Barry as much as anyone in here. However, could it be possible that a big part of this was Jerry Gray? We have always assumed that he was a very good DB coach, but there's a chance it wasn't that way.

Bringing up this old chestnut, but when the Packers were at The Grove in London, three individuals distinctly were wankerish to different degrees. Thankfully, it looks like all three are gone and the team will be better for it.

Wankerish ranking follows:

1) Aaron Rodgers

2) Dean Lowry (it was a toss up for 1 and 2)

3) Coach Gray

• Like 1