Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Yah that was a good pick.  Tons of upside.  Caleb Jones too.  Big mulling monster.  We do have some nice prospects to work with.  If anything we could use an upgrade at G/C.  Is Rhyan just a bust or what?  Man that was the most disappointing pick last year. 

I mean he is just a rookie. He has plenty of time. I’m not too worried. As long as he doesn’t look like Hanson this year, I think he will be fine. I honestly hope he pushes Runyan at RG.

And depending on how they view Tom, he might push Myers at C. 

Edited by Green19

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

I mean he is just a rookie. He has plenty of time. I’m not too worried. As long as he doesn’t look like Hanson this year, I think he will be fine. I honestly hope he pushes Runyan at RG.

Yeah people really need to stop immediately jumping on every young player that isn't productive day one.  Pro game can take time to adjust to, and dude was suspended for a big chunk of the season anyway.  That's a bit of a freak athlete in a big frame, he'll be given every chance to flash over his rookie contract, and if he's ready to play next year that's still 3 cheap years.

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Yah that was a good pick.  Tons of upside.  Caleb Jones too.  Big mulling monster.  We do have some nice prospects to work with.  If anything we could use an upgrade at G/C.  Is Rhyan just a bust or what?  Man that was the most disappointing pick last year. 

I am already excited to watch Caleb Jones bully 3rd stringers in preseason.  I just hope that whatever QB(s) we bring in are at least competent enough to not go 3 and out every time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mtsportsfan1 said:

Remember watching him and Mac Lane

What a great combo , neither seemed to last long because how physical they were !

They left a lot of bodies in their wake when they ran.  The high knee lift of Brockington when he ran caused many big collisions to the detriment of the opposing player. MacLane was just a powerful runner who liked to run over people.  That was really 3 yards and a lot of hurt those guys put on their opposition.  

Good times.  I didn't know MacLane, but Brockington was a glass guy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am already excited to watch Caleb Jones bully 3rd stringers in preseason.  I just hope that whatever QB(s) we bring in are at least competent enough to not go 3 and out every time.

Do I sense some doubt for the Etling Experience?

I really enjoyed this one of Aaron letting everyone know he was right about Danny and his wheels. 

Edited by Refugee

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

Do I sense some doubt for the Etling Experience?

I really enjoyed this one of Aaron letting everyone know he was right about Danny and his wheels. 

What a kool thing for Etling to share with his kids. "Daddy did the Lambeau Leap!"

Channel surfed into the DET/GB Game 17 on The NFL Network. Just a couple plays in and he 4th & 1 jet sweep to Lazard happened - to an entirely unblocked side of the DET defense. I've no clue how they thought that play would work. I couldn't watch that failure again...and changed the channel. 

• Like 2

On 3/31/2023 at 5:35 PM, Leader said:

First Packer game I ever attended was the game John Brockington broke Ken Dyers neck. We were sitting at about the 30-yard line and it happened right in front of us. Gale Gillingham was leading Brockington downfield. When Brockington hit Dyer with his knee, he collapsed and didn't move. 

Scary **** for a young kid to see. 

John Brockington was one of my all-time Packer favorites. RIP! 

On 3/31/2023 at 6:06 PM, Green19 said:

I don't give Rhyan any chance at center. I see him having more of a shot at RT to be honest. I do believe in this kid. I think he was overwhelmed his rookie year. Stuff will slow down for him and he's going to be OK. 

Flip side, if it doesn't and he shows no improvement, might be time to move on. 

On 3/31/2023 at 7:34 PM, MrBobGray said:

Yeah people really need to stop immediately jumping on every young player that isn't productive day one.  Pro game can take time to adjust to, and dude was suspended for a big chunk of the season anyway.  That's a bit of a freak athlete in a big frame, he'll be given every chance to flash over his rookie contract, and if he's ready to play next year that's still 3 cheap years.

Yea I haven't given up on Rhyan but it was just a little shocking that he was THAT bad as a rookie. Believe I read an article that he was only 3rd round pick from the entire 2022 draft who didn't play one snap of offense or defense. I know he was moving to guard but I wouldn't have thought the adjustment would be too big for him given the player he was in college. 

Hopefully he will rebound and at least become a guy this season who can be a swing interior player. 

See, I have already written off Rhyan and Newman.  If we do end up getting value out of them, great.  But I don't see a path to playing time for either of them without injuries playing a part.  Zach Tom is better than both of them.  JRJ is better than both of them.  And going by the history of the Packers, we will probably add OL in the draft.  

I think Newman was the biggest disappointment going into his second year.  Reports were that he added some weight and was stronger, after a decent rookie campaign, all things considered.  But he goes out in preseason and stinks at both guard and tackle.  He seemed worse, but that may have just been me giving him a pass for being a rookie.  

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

See, I have already written off Rhyan and Newman.  If we do end up getting value out of them, great.  But I don't see a path to playing time for either of them without injuries playing a part.  Zach Tom is better than both of them.  JRJ is better than both of them.  And going by the history of the Packers, we will probably add OL in the draft.  

I think Newman was the biggest disappointment going into his second year.  Reports were that he added some weight and was stronger, after a decent rookie campaign, all things considered.  But he goes out in preseason and stinks at both guard and tackle.  He seemed worse, but that may have just been me giving him a pass for being a rookie.  

Rhyan is only 22 years old. Newman was a 24 year old rookie so he's 26, big difference between the two as far as upside goes. 

Rhyan has a legitimate chance to be an NFL offensive lineman. Also, Tom's best position might be center, long-term. Especially if we want to move on from Myer who has been a disappointment. 

Edited by Old Guy