Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

31 minutes ago, gopackgo247 said:

I don't know how it can be Green Bay after he called out Big Ben for having "owner mentality." I don't know that his personality could mesh with Aaron Rodgers. Could be wrong but there's a lot of risks there with that trade / guaranteed money in that locker room. I'd pass hard, despite the obvious mouth-watering potential there.

1 minute ago, Nick_gb said:

I don't know how it can be Green Bay after he called out Big Ben for having "owner mentality." I don't know that his personality could mesh with Aaron Rodgers. Could be wrong but there's a lot of risks there with that trade / guaranteed money in that locker room. I'd pass hard, despite the obvious mouth-watering potential there.

yeah. if GB was one player away from the Super Bowl then sure id take a swing with AB. but GB is multiple players/years away from a SB. not worth bringing in this locker room cancer when youve got a young HC trying to build a culture. im gonna say he ends up in SF. 

3 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I don't want to run more. I just would rather have someone who can line up in the slot and also in the backfield, like Cobb, but who can stay healthy and has more quickness

Just saw this. I've never been a proponent of the WR as RB concept.
As applied to Cobb - I never saw RB greatness in him. Average at best - if that. Also - he was far too slight for my liking. Thought his greater contribution was at WR and giving him token attempts at RB was just courting injury. As it turned out, his body couldnt withstand the rigors of WR - not a fault of his - just an observation of mine. 

We want to run the ball? Give the rock to a RB. One that can double up and be a receiving threat (?) be used to dictate (or identify) defensive schemes? Fine with me.

I wouldnt mind if we used our RBs more - and it would extend the warranty on ARs career.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Yes.  That is what I'd do.  I'd wait probably until the draft is over to land a guard in free agency.  See how the draft plays out first.  I don't want a higher paid guard, as I think we can get one to play right away in round 3 or 4.  And in free agency, we need to find one that can play better than McCray or Patrick, and on the cheap, who is that?  I'm unsure if those other guys are that much better.  Foster from Pitt is one that I'll keep my eye on, as he may be affordable and an upgrade there.

Milt Hendrickson has our next guard already.  One of Gute's better manuevers, plucking Siragusa off of Ravens PS.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/nico-siragusa?id=2557874

I really think Nico is in the running. It was a very quiet acquisition.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Milt Hendrickson has our next guard already.  One of Gute's better manuevers, plucking Siragusa off of Ravens PS.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/nico-siragusa?id=2557874

I really think Nico is in the running. It was a very quiet acquisition.

That would be nice. I was unaware he tore up damn near his whole knee in 2017.

GB and other small markets are never going to get a superbowl. There's been rumblings about a draft in smaller markets like GB but I'm sure it would be waaaay down the line. If the superbowl and draft can revolve, the combine should change locations too. I hope they don't sign an extension with Indy.

https://fox59.com/2018/03/04/nfl-scouting-combine-in-indy-for-19-and-probably-20-but-after-that/

13 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

GB and other small markets are never going to get a superbowl. There's been rumblings about a draft in smaller markets like GB but I'm sure it would be waaaay down the line. If the superbowl and draft can revolve, the combine should change locations too. I hope they don't sign an extension with Indy.

https://fox59.com/2018/03/04/nfl-scouting-combine-in-indy-for-19-and-probably-20-but-after-that/

Fans don't attend the scouting combine .. so there wouldn't be a lot of attraction there anyway.  

As a fan who doesn't live in the US, can anyone explain to me the attraction (from a fan standpoint at least) of hosting the Super Bowl? Is it prestige? Is it the remote possibility of home-field advantage? Is it the opportunity to attend, no matter who is in the game? Or some combination or something else entirely? If the Super Bowl were held in my city, I feel like I would be annoyed at the disruption more than anything. Perhaps I need to get out more.

21 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

As a fan who doesn't live in the US, can anyone explain to me the attraction (from a fan standpoint at least) of hosting the Super Bowl? Is it prestige? Is it the remote possibility of home-field advantage? Is it the opportunity to attend, no matter who is in the game? Or some combination or something else entirely? If the Super Bowl were held in my city, I feel like I would be annoyed at the disruption more than anything. Perhaps I need to get out more.

Matheson has written extensively about the effect of Super Bowls. He has found that they usually generate anywhere from $30 million to $130 million in economic activity for the host city.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/29/sports/football/super-bowl-lii-minnesota.html

18 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Fans don't attend the scouting combine .. so there wouldn't be a lot of attraction there anyway.  

15 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

It’s not just about the fans and If you don’t think GB fans would lurk their way to that you don’t follow the team too close

I'd be there for the entire thing and offer up my cottage to anyone who wanted to join!  It would be a blast!

• Like 1

Herman:

For those asking, I’m 100% on the Brown to GB train. Brown would be a deep threat & playmaker for Rodgers & would create space underneath for Adams/Graham. He’s great after the catch & he doesn’t come with any baggage or headaches. We’re all taking about John Brown, right?!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Leader said:

Herman:

For those asking, I’m 100% on the Brown to GB train. Brown would be a deep threat & playmaker for Rodgers & would create space underneath for Adams/Graham. He’s great after the catch & he doesn’t come with any baggage or headaches. We’re all taking about John Brown, right?!

I’ll gladly sign up for a John Brown or Jamison Crowder value signing. Offer them a short cheap contract with the chance to get big numbers with AR and get back on the market.

3 hours ago, n8ghee said:

I’ll gladly sign up for a John Brown or Jamison Crowder value signing. Offer them a short cheap contract with the chance to get big numbers with AR and get back on the market.

.......which they'll sign.

I would think there will be enough of a market for these guys (Crowder moreso than Brown) that short & cheap might not get the job done.