Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

9 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

QB: Aaron Rodgers | DeShone Kizer | Tim Boyle 
RB: Aaron Jones | Jamaal Williams | ????? | Kapri Bibbs | Tra Carson | Lavon Coleman | Dan Vitale (FB) | Malcolm Johnson (FB) 
WR: Davante Adams | ????? | Marquez Valdes-Scantling | Equanimeous St. Brown | J'Mon Moore | Jake Kumerow | Trevor Davis | Allen Lazard | Teo Redding 
TE: Jimmy Graham | ????? | Robert Tonyan Jr. | Evan Baylis 
OL: David Bakhtiari | Bryan Bulaga | Corey Linsley | Lane Taylor | Billy Turner | ????? | Jason Spirggs | Lucas Patrick | Justin McCray | Nico Siragusa | Alex Light | Gerhard de Beer | Anthony Coyle | (Cole Madison)

DL: Kenny Clark | Mike Daniels | ????? | Dean Lowry | Tyler Lancaster | Montravius Adams | Fadol Brown | James Looney | Deon Simon 
EDGE: Preston Smith | Za'Darius Smith | ????? | Kyler Fackrell | Reggie Gilbert | Kendall Donnerson | Brady Sheldon | Eric Cotton
ILB: Blake Martinez | ????? | Oren Burks | James Crawford 
CB: Jaire Alexander | ????? | Kevin King | Josh Jackson | Tony Brown | Natrell Jamerson | Will Redmond 
S: Adrian Amos | ????? | Tramon Williams | Josh Jones | Raven Greene | Tray Matthews | Jason Thompson 

ST: Mason Crosby | JK Scott | Hunter Bradley 

Highlighted what I think are probably our biggest needs/opportunities for improvement going into the draft. Amazing to think how many urgent needs we filled in one day. Really gives us an opportunity to go BPA through the entire draft. Long live Brian Gutekunst.

2 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

This may have been posted before, but if so it bears re-posting.

Green Bay Packers spending on non-Green Bay free agents (per Spotrac) -- 2011-18: $127.9m million March 12, 7am CST to 11:30am CST, 2019: $183 million

This is absolutely crazy to think about. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

This may have been posted before, but if so it bears re-posting.

Green Bay Packers spending on non-Green Bay free agents (per Spotrac) -- 2011-18: $127.9m million March 12, 7am CST to 11:30am CST, 2019: $183 million

I bet that monetary amount is some kind of individual record for the GBPs. The Leveon Bell transaction hasnt shown up at Spotrac yet (and perhaps the same for some other teams) - but of whats been reported / updated the GBPs lead the list of team expenditures on FAs. Thats gotta be a first. Maybe not, but bet it is.

1. Packers - 182M
2. Lions - 161M
3. Bills - 156M
4. Titans - 129M
5. Jets - 118M

Perhaps more importantly, they have an (estimated) 14.8M available under the cap - which doesnt allow a whole bunch of wiggle room to wheel & deal with other FAs.  So decisions on these guys will be interesting....

Breeland?
Allison?
Wilkerson?
Ryan?
Perry?

Possible Packer Movement:
(Current Packers only)

Rodgers - Unfortunately, I don't think we can trade him for Baker Mayfield anymore.
Kizer - Unlikely.  Think they'll hang onto him for another year of development and as a backup.
Jamaal Williams - Not likely.
Aaron Jones - Not likely.

Jimmy Graham - I think we'll probably keep him with a possible surprise cut after the draft.  Really no better options available, and I think a second year with Rodgers will make people act like they always wanted him. 

Bryan Bulaga - People like to think we might cut him due to his contract and injury concerns, but look around the rest of the league and what teams paid their tackles to keep them.  Bobby Massie of all players has a cap hit of 8 million next year.  Bulaga's 8.25 cap hit is modest for a starting right tackle.  Bulaga's cap hit is the 5th highest in the NFL for a right tackle, but that really isn't all that meaningful.  16th highest paid right tackle is getting >2 million less for a cap hit. 

Everybody else on our OL is either on a rookie deal or elite, so there won't be any movement there except tiny chance Taylor gets moved (like 1% chance). 

Mike Daniels is the most likely Packer to get moved.  He took a step back under Pettine in Pettine's first year here and although good, probably isn't worth his contract/savings ratio.  He's too good to outright cut though.  I don't know how trades work because every time I think I've got it, I've got it wrong, but cutting him saves 8 million dollars.  I think trading him also saves that 8 million, but I'm not sure.  We probably won't get what a lot of people would expect to get out of him.  Considering the Eagles only got a 5th for Bennett (33), I'd imagine the most we could get for Daniels would be a 3rd round pick, and that's probably unrealistic itself.  I'd say a 14% chance Daniels gets traded. 

Fackrell could be a surprise trade.  I'm not saying I want to trade him because I like what he can provide for us and on a rookie contract, but his fit is not so great with us as a pass rusher and we could get good value for him considering what he actually is and what he did last year as far as production.  Like a 5% chance he gets traded. 

Tramon Williams is probably going to get cut if we can add anybody else remotely capable of starting at safety.  Don't think we'll cut him until that happens though. 

Kevin King I think is a dark horse candidate for trading.  People seem to like him for some reason, but I don't.  I think he's soft.  I said it.  Watching him in his few games, I've seen almost nothing to get excited about.  He's still extremely young and I'm sure there's hope for him, but I just see him as soft and fragile. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Possible Packer Movement:
(Current Packers only)

Rodgers - Unfortunately, I don't think we can trade him for Baker Mayfield anymore.
Kizer - Unlikely.  Think they'll hang onto him for another year of development and as a backup.
Jamaal Williams - Not likely.
Aaron Jones - Not likely.

Jimmy Graham - I think we'll probably keep him with a possible surprise cut after the draft.  Really no better options available, and I think a second year with Rodgers will make people act like they always wanted him. 

Bryan Bulaga - People like to think we might cut him due to his contract and injury concerns, but look around the rest of the league and what teams paid their tackles to keep them.  Bobby Massie of all players has a cap hit of 8 million next year.  Bulaga's 8.25 cap hit is modest for a starting right tackle.  Bulaga's cap hit is the 5th highest in the NFL for a right tackle, but that really isn't all that meaningful.  16th highest paid right tackle is getting >2 million less for a cap hit. 

Everybody else on our OL is either on a rookie deal or elite, so there won't be any movement there except tiny chance Taylor gets moved (like 1% chance). 

Mike Daniels is the most likely Packer to get moved.  He took a step back under Pettine in Pettine's first year here and although good, probably isn't worth his contract/savings ratio.  He's too good to outright cut though.  I don't know how trades work because every time I think I've got it, I've got it wrong, but cutting him saves 8 million dollars.  I think trading him also saves that 8 million, but I'm not sure.  We probably won't get what a lot of people would expect to get out of him.  Considering the Eagles only got a 5th for Bennett (33), I'd imagine the most we could get for Daniels would be a 3rd round pick, and that's probably unrealistic itself.  I'd say a 14% chance Daniels gets traded. 

Fackrell could be a surprise trade.  I'm not saying I want to trade him because I like what he can provide for us and on a rookie contract, but his fit is not so great with us as a pass rusher and we could get good value for him considering what he actually is and what he did last year as far as production.  Like a 5% chance he gets traded. 

Tramon Williams is probably going to get cut if we can add anybody else remotely capable of starting at safety.  Don't think we'll cut him until that happens though. 

Kevin King I think is a dark horse candidate for trading.  People seem to like him for some reason, but I don't.  I think he's soft.  I said it.  Watching him in his few games, I've seen almost nothing to get excited about.  He's still extremely young and I'm sure there's hope for him, but I just see him as soft and fragile. 

I could see us only trading Daniels, but I doubt it at least this season. We wouldn't benefit in any way trading King, having him being injured wouldn't net us anything worth trading him at this point. Let's see how he turns out this year, when he was on the field he was solid enough as a starter. Now if he misses half the season again then we can start talking about moving on. For bulaga I think its possible if we confidently have his replacement 

Tbh just play all these guys out unless some team offers something we cant refuse.

33 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

How much is Kenny Clark's 5th year option next year? Like 10m? 

It'll be the average of 3rd-25th highest prior year salaries for DTs. Did a quick check using DT contract average salaries, came to around 9.5M. Should be a safe ballpark figure. Might be too high, as this year 5th year option for a DT was $7,154,000.

Edited by salmar80
  • Like 1

Did anyone who listens to Tom Silverstein's podcast laugh as hard as I did when he called Adrian Amos "Charlie Peprah"? I would be mad, except this guy has grifted his way into a paycheck for having these kinds of opinions about football for decades. I'm impressed. 

btw, Preston Smith is Clay Matthews and Zadarius is Nick Perry, in case you were wondering how far his imagination goes on this matter. 

Edited by Isherwood