Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, FinneasGage said:

am i losing my god damn mind or has nobody watched how awful greedy williams is man lol 

Is it just his ball skills that have everybody confused?  Because he certainly obviously has some pretty strong ball skills.  I've been saying I'm alright with Greedy because it's looked like he's the consensus best CB in the draft, but I've gone on record a few times already saying that I liked Byron Murphy more. 

Anyone has a website to send me to where I can lookup defensive pressures by player?  I want to see if our two Smiths did in fact get more pressures than Perry, Matthews, Fackrell and Gilbert combined.  Couldn't find one in my first or second web search.

Also...want to confirm that Fackrell got his sacks last year despite logging a very low amount of hurries.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Is it just his ball skills that have everybody confused?  Because he certainly obviously has some pretty strong ball skills.  I've been saying I'm alright with Greedy because it's looked like he's the consensus best CB in the draft, but I've gone on record a few times already saying that I liked Byron Murphy more. 

Oh sure.....hedge your bets :)

Just now, Outpost31 said:

I'm only "confused" by his complete disregard for physical play.  Aside from that, he's the best man corner that I've seen in college in quite a while.  Metcalf ran by tons of guys last year.  Greedy flipped those hips easily and ran with him, no worries.

He's a very good man corner.  I'd be good with him at #12.

And...I don't know how he gets by the Lions.  They really need someone opposite of Slay.

• Like 1

Just now, Outpost31 said:

i guess man. i think it's just his INT production, size and 40. that's all there is to like. i've only watched 5 corners so far, but he's easily the worst. i posted about about him yesterday, one sec. 

9 hours ago, FinneasGage said:
15 hours ago, squire12 said:

Not sure I would go that far, but I do like Layne's potential.  I think he is a converted WR, so he is still learning the position.  Would be really hard to pass on him at those 2 4th round picks

why wouldn't you go that far? he offers more than any three of those other guys i mentioned. greedy is tight in the hips/uninterested waaay too often, plays soft & doesn't seem as sharp as byron or layne. deandre i like, he's just a little stiffer than i'd want from a guy in the first ~50 picks and i don't like his attitude & apparently neither do a lot of teams from the combine interviewing. byron's solid. him and layne are both good. byron is polished and ready to step in and be a quality starter right now. i don't think layne is very far off, the only thing that MIGHT be an issue is long speed there. oh yeah, that was pretty bad for deandre too if i didn't say that. he got lucky w/ a few drops where he was beat bad. i do love the edge deandre plays with tho. looking at layne i see the cleanest of those 4. excellent measurables, no glaring concerns in athletic testing numbers, has really fluid hips, plays really physical/smart football from all the cut-ups available on youtube, plays the ball beautifully & seems to have the best head on his shoulders. he's a guy i trust to reach his full potential and a guy who brings added value in the locker room. i just don't see anything in layne's game that really concerns me. and as a total package, also believe he also offers highest ceiling. not really saying a lot, just the corners in this class aren't very good. 

i still gotta watch rock, joejuan, love, long, etc. though. 

Just now, vegas492 said:

Anyone has a website to send me to where I can lookup defensive pressures by player?  I want to see if our two Smiths did in fact get more pressures than Perry, Matthews, Fackrell and Gilbert combined.  Couldn't find one in my first or second web search.

Also...want to confirm that Fackrell got his sacks last year despite logging a very low amount of hurries.

As far as the first part, I can't tell you where to find that.

As far as the second part, I can confirm that Fackrell got like 20 hurries.  It was probably the best sack to hurry ratio in the NFL in like 30 years, so it's not like that's completely negative.  Think about how many sacks Matthews would have had in his career if he had that kind of hurry to sack ratio.  Once Fackrell has the QB in his sights, he gets that QB down, and that is a definite positive. 

Just now, FinneasGage said:

he doesn't flip them easily at all. he rounds off and has to gather himself pretty consistently 

Could be.  I watched a couple games and some highlights.  He was easily the best man cover guy I've seen in a while.  He flipped 'em easily on Metcalf.  And consistently.  He's the one guy I saw that Metcalf could not get around.

I see a boundary corner with great size, speed and acceleration.  As you said, not the best getting in and out of breaks, but he has some really nice skills on the outside.

I watched him compared to Murphy.  Murphy looked like Jackson last year.  Great eyes, anticipation, break.  Great zone kid.  Greedy looked like a pure boundary corner to me.  While I detest the notion of taking another corner high, I do think him and King outside, with Jaire in the slot and Jackson trained as FS would be nice.  Not ideal in my draft world, but nice.

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

PFF has them behind their paywall. 

https://twitter.com/PFF_Packers/status/1106736000829657094?s=20

• Like 1

Here’s a report from Tom Silverstein, via Acme Packing, that states Green Bay is much tighter on their salary cap than they’d realized:

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/free-agency-2019-green-bay-packers/2019/3/18/18271848/packers-have-less-than-5-million-in-salary-cap-space-after-errors-identified-per-report

After reading the article, and the Tweets from Silverstein, I seriously wonder about the reliability of Silverstein’s “multiple sources.” An oversight like this would be completely out of character for the Packer finance people...ie Russell Ball and company. 

I try to cross reference stuff like this to see if other reliable media sources are reporting the same news. And I have yet to verify if the Silverstein/Evan Western (APC) story has any legs.

If, in fact, this proves to be BS, I’ll gladly delete this post. But meantime I thought people would be interested.

Film at 11...

Edited by JQ1