Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, JQ1 said:

Here’s a report from Tom Silverstein, via Acme Packing, that states Green Bay is much tighter on their salary cap than they’d realized:

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/free-agency-2019-green-bay-packers/2019/3/18/18271848/packers-have-less-than-5-million-in-salary-cap-space-after-errors-identified-per-report

After reading the article, and the Tweets from Silverstein, I seriously wonder about the reliability of Silverstein’s “multiple sources.” An oversight like this would be completely out of character for the Packer finance people...ie Russell Ball and company. 

I try to cross reference stuff like this to see if other reliable media sources are reporting the same news. And I have yet to verify if the Silverstein/Evan Western (APC) story has any legs.

If, in fact, this proves to be BS, I’ll gladly delete this post. But meantime I thought people would be interested.

Film at 11...

Everything about this situation irritates me.  If Silverstein is wrong, he should be publically shamed for irresponsible reporting.  If he’s right, it’s an embarrassment to the organization and “possibly” puts the Packers in a bind.  Don’t like it either way, but I’m kinda grumpy today.

1 hour ago, JQ1 said:

Here’s a report from Tom Silverstein, via Acme Packing, that states Green Bay is much tighter on their salary cap than they’d realized:

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/free-agency-2019-green-bay-packers/2019/3/18/18271848/packers-have-less-than-5-million-in-salary-cap-space-after-errors-identified-per-report

After reading the article, and the Tweets from Silverstein, I seriously wonder about the reliability of Silverstein’s “multiple sources.” An oversight like this would be completely out of character for the Packer finance people...ie Russell Ball and company. 

I try to cross reference stuff like this to see if other reliable media sources are reporting the same news. And I have yet to verify if the Silverstein/Evan Western (APC) story has any legs.

If, in fact, this proves to be BS, I’ll gladly delete this post. But meantime I thought people would be interested.

Film at 11...

That would be very difficult to imagine. I believe that every transaction requires a full cap implication sheet to be submitted with it. 

Unless we absolutely got ****ed when the league was breaking down likely/unlikely to be earned incentives (aka which incentives count against the cap) it's extremely difficult to imagine this happening.

And if that's the case I wouldn't call it an accounting error. At best you would call it a forecasting error.

lol Who the hell is that dude, my gosh. 

and oh damn, he even double and tripled down on it lol

Get the impression that dude just from his pic and like 10 tweets has never been married, let alone in a relationship that wasn't over Skype.

EDIT: wtf, 2 seconds ago I could see all his tweets now it says they're protected, okay then

Edited by Norm

5 minutes ago, Norm said:

lol Who the hell is that dude, my gosh. 

and oh damn, he even double and tripled down on it lol

Get the impression that dude just from his pic and like 10 tweets has never been married, let alone in a relationship that wasn't over Skype.

EDIT: wtf, 2 seconds ago I could see all his tweets now it says they're protected, okay then

I’d imagine he got enough shut from everyone he made his account private.

IIRC he’s exactly the type of fan you’d picture freaking out about stupid stuff. Probably lost his marbles after day 1 of free agency.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't know who E Brooks is, but I was looking forward to people ****ting on a twitter tard, anybody got the scoop?

He’s a dbag in all the ways you would expect. 

Edited by Isherwood

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That would be very difficult to imagine. I believe that every transaction requires a full cap implication sheet to be submitted with it. 

Unless we absolutely got ****ed when the league was breaking down likely/unlikely to be earned incentives (aka which incentives count against the cap) it's extremely difficult to imagine this happening.

And if that's the case I wouldn't call it an accounting error. At best you would call it a forecasting error.

I mean, I don't think the Packers have really used LTBE and NLTBE incentives.  The Packers' signings have been pretty cut and dry.  They contain a singing bonus with nearly all (if not all) of the guarantee money coming from the signing bonus.  They'll always put in a workout bonus to get a player to show up, and those will always be LTBE.  And they do per-game bonuses as well.  That's the whole reason that the cap rollover was added in the previous CBA negotiation.  Teams were utilizing to punt cap space into the next offseason since it came back as a cap credit.  I don't recall who did it but there was a team who put a ~$3M LTBE bonus out there for a certain amount of punt blocks.  The problem?  The player didn't play ST.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I don't think the Packers have really used LTBE and NLTBE incentives.  The Packers' signings have been pretty cut and dry.  They contain a singing bonus with nearly all (if not all) of the guarantee money coming from the signing bonus.  They'll always put in a workout bonus to get a player to show up, and those will always be LTBE.  And they do per-game bonuses as well.  That's the whole reason that the cap rollover was added in the previous CBA negotiation.  Teams were utilizing to punt cap space into the next offseason since it came back as a cap credit.  I don't recall who did it but there was a team who put a ~$3M LTBE bonus out there for a certain amount of punt blocks.  The problem?  The player didn't play ST.

I knew it! You *are* Russ Ball!!  :)

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Davante caught a Pro Bowl escalator in his contract this year. Now it was tiny 250k, but I think they do try and add those in on the 10+ AAV contracts. Now that should definitely not be enough to cause problems and make a jump from 11 million in cap space to 5 million in cap space or whatever the hell Silverstein is reporting, but it does happen to us.

My interpretation of the rollover rule was that it was to some extent intended to utilize with the bonuses like you're saying, but it was more of a way for the owners to guarantee the players that they were spending as much of the CBA money as they agreed to. Might have been a two-birds-one-stone kinda deal

As far as the LTBE and NLTBE bonuses, it was my understanding that the league reviewed every incentive bonus every year and made a determination on whether or not that particular incentive was likely to be earned. 99% of the time, the decision was based on if the player would have achieved that incentive in his previous year. If they found that it was likely to be earned, it counted against the cap in that year. If they found it was not likely to be earned, it didn't count. Then at the end of the year, the team got a cap credit for the LTBE incentives that weren't achieved and a cap charge for the NLTBE incentives that were achieved. 

Just my "top of the head" understanding of how these deals work.

9 hours ago, Norm said:

Is he like a draft guy or he just talks Packers or something

He's a "fan" that thinks he knows better than most people RE: Packers and gets his panties in a bind about everything.
Wasn't surprised he was acting like that. He blocked me a while ago.

Also, he doesn't look like he gets out much:

Edit: Nvm, I don't want to toe the doxing line.

Edited by Fl0nkerton

10 hours ago, Norm said:

Is he like a draft guy or he just talks Packers or something

He thinks he's making a name for himself by trying to be some Packer provocateur. Basically, he's over the top on purpose because he lacks the social skills and talent to make a name for himself any other way. He's an example of how Twitter can influence someone to leave their humanity behind and become universally despised. He'll probably rot in hell.

• Like 1