Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

There’s a lot of young, knowledgeable posters in this forum.  I’m old.  So old, my dad almost missed my birth at the hospital because he was freezing his nards off at the Ice Bowl (lucky bastard).  I grew up in the misery years of the Packers, suffered through the early developing years of Favre when we’d get so close only to be knocked out of the playoffs by the Cowboys, relished (balled my eyes out) when we beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl, balled my eyes out the following year when we lost to the Broncos, and everything thereafter.  Love this team and it’s fans - literally a huge part of my own history!

• Like 5

My old man was a high school football coach and quite good at it.  He'd take me along to scout when I was really, really young.  He told me what to look for.  Started out with special teams.  Do gunner chris/cross going downfield.  Watch the lanes, tell me who pinches in right away, get numbers of them....etc.   I must have been like 6 or so.  I barely knew what a number was!  Graduated to watching o-linemen and when they stood up.  Did a center ever "pull".  Had to ask him what pulling was...etc.  Does the QB stare down a receiver or look off coverage.  Crazy how much he taught me at a young age.

The old man ran the wishbone, taught it to me.  Staple was the fullback trap.  Loved it.  We always threw the ball together, great times.  Actually, the best times!

I was in high school when the Packers traded for Favre.  He wore #4 and that was the number I happened to take about 6 months before he arrived, so I had a natural connection there.  I was thrilled when he took off.  In college as a freshman when Reggie signed.  Still remember the moment it happened.  I was...uh...very invested in something outside of football, when the news broke and everyone in the dorm went nuts.  

I've been watching from Lynn Dickey to present.  

Looking forward to seeing how this transition works out for GB.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

My old man was a high school football coach and quite good at it.  He'd take me along to scout when I was really, really young.  He told me what to look for.  Started out with special teams.  Do gunner chris/cross going downfield.  Watch the lanes, tell me who pinches in right away, get numbers of them....etc.   I must have been like 6 or so.  I barely knew what a number was!  Graduated to watching o-linemen and when they stood up.  Did a center ever "pull".  Had to ask him what pulling was...etc.  Does the QB stare down a receiver or look off coverage.  Crazy how much he taught me at a young age.

The old man ran the wishbone, taught it to me.  Staple was the fullback trap.  Loved it.  We always threw the ball together, great times.  Actually, the best times!

I was in high school when the Packers traded for Favre.  He wore #4 and that was the number I happened to take about 6 months before he arrived, so I had a natural connection there.  I was thrilled when he took off.  In college as a freshman when Reggie signed.  Still remember the moment it happened.  I was...uh...very invested in something outside of football, when the news broke and everyone in the dorm went nuts.  

I've been watching from Lynn Dickey to present.  

Looking forward to seeing how this transition works out for GB.

Remember when Don Majkowski came to town and sparked hope for the first time in like 20 years?  It was like seeing a watering hole after wandering the desert forever.

27 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Remember when Don Majkowski came to town and sparked hope for the first time in like 20 years?  It was like seeing a watering hole after wandering the desert forever.

I remember people souring on him when he wasn’t perfect. Even then GB fans could turn on players/coaches pretty quick. 

Two random tidbits I'll never forget. After the fact, Bart Starr was considered a very good football coach. Especially on the offensive side. His downfall was hiring his buddies as assistants. 

Back when the Packers played some games in Milwaukee, Infante was driven home by his wife back to Green Bay after a loss. He apparently cried most of the way back out of frustration and "not knowing what the hell else he could do."

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Useful/ cautiously exciting compilation of Packers rookie WR stats over the Past few years. Let's all hope MVS/EQ can somehow go on to become what those before them did.

EQ with the best Y/R ;)

rookieWRs.JPG

Comparison/Compilation provided by YohoChecko at packersnews.net

• Like 2

On 3/21/2019 at 1:51 PM, Sasquatch said:

"After further review...THE BEARS STILL SUCK!!!".  I remember that play.  Not much about the game, but enough.  The second Favre took the field, you could tell he was different, in a good way.  I thought Majkowski was the best million dollar backup and holder in the league.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 1:51 PM, Sasquatch said:

I remember wanting to be Scott Hunter in the backyard with the neighborhood kids.  All he ever did was hand off to Brockington and Lane.  But we did win the division in '72 IIRC. DeVine didn't break his leg that year.....

• Like 1

Ben Fennell:

I think about this a lot: PFF had Packers OL w/ the best pass blocking grade in 2018

50+ sacks and led NFL in 3rd down sacks.
45/53 sacks were OVER 2.5 seconds.

Saying their OL was the best is the biggest indictment on horrendous QB play & scheme I could possibly come up with.