Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Heard many times that ESB was frustrated when Rodgers would tell him to run one route and his QB coach would tell him to run another.

Hadn't heard, though, that Rodgers didn't like MVS because he would just run the route the coach told him to run.  I file that under "hearsay".

Hopefully Getsy being back in the fold will lead to good things there. Rodgers respects Getsy and he should be a great bridge between Rodgers and the WR core. 

24 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Damn that's a rough read. Only hope is all this stuff puts that chip back on Rodgers shoulder cause he wants to shut it all up.

Exactly.

Plus - in case he needs such a motivation - AR should be out to establish the: "If was the guy who got fired fault and not mine"

Just throw the damn ball to the open guy.

Be more like Brady. Be happy with first downs.

Edited by Leader

1 hour ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Good stuff.  They should have canned McCarthy after the championship game debacle in Seattle.  It's hard to fire a guy after a championship game defeat, but that loss was outrageous and it came on the heels of a few previous poor showings in big games.  We wasted some prime years with McCarthy still at the helm.

As for Rodgers .. if he doesn't accept the coaching of LaFleur they should orchestrate his departure from Green Bay.  He got his way finally and got McCarthy out of the way .. now it's time to throw his support behind his new coach and get another title.  

• Like 1

There was a definite tone the writer was going for and he seemed to hit it. Got all the old talking heads, Finley, Jennings and Jordan. Grant had nothing negative to say about either guy. Then lots of unnamed "sources" and "personnel guys" and "employees of the team" ehh. Its internet drama. If you cant put a name on it I dont really want to hear it. A source close to the team could be a reporter. A personnel guy could be a Twitter writer. I just dont give much of it any credence.

We knew Rodgers is a hard *** on the rookies and improvised a **** ton. We knew Mac was stale. We knew Thompson was declining. What did the article really say that was new info and not speculation?

Half of one section was about Janis. Who has gone to other teams now and has accomplished nothing.

Sentimentality was a whole part of the article about how we shouldve played players on the decline because they had proved themselves (Sitton-Lang section)

The rest reads like a slant to me. Good writing job. The team is moving in a new direction as it should. The Patriots have skewed everyones idea of winning in the NFL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Best part: 

But even in the best of times—when confetti should've still been stuck to their clothing—one person who was then close to Rodgers remembers he would regularly call to vent that McCarthy didn't have a clue what he was doing. He'd tell him that McCarthy frequently called the wrong play. That he used the wrong personnel. That they were running plays that worked one out of 50 times in practice. That McCarthy was a buffoon he was constantly bailing out.

"Mike has a low football IQ, and that used to always bother Aaron," this source says. "He'd say Mike has one of the lowest IQs, if not the lowest IQ, of any coach he's ever had."

Rodgers has always come off as smug, arrogant, one who does not suffer fools easily, and supremely talented.

In the right environment, supreme talent can overcome smugness, arrogance, etc.

Some of the top performers in their fields (Michael Jordan, Steve Jobs, Vince Lombardi) are not always fun to be around.

In NE, the talent of smug, arrogant QB Tom Brady has been maximized by a truly great (and intellectual) head coach/GM who knows how to handle his star QB even though there does not appear to be any love lost between them on a personal level.

In GB, the talents of the even more talented (than Brady) QB Rodgers have not been maximized.

Now that the illusion that all was well in GB the past several years has been destroyed, and given that Brady has already gone to 9 SBs, Peyton Manning went to 4, Roethlisberger to 3, Eli Manning 2, Russel Wilson 2, etc., there is no reason not to expect further recriminations over the Packers failure to get to a second SB with Rodgers.

I am hoping that Dunne has embelished a lot in this article, because if he hasn't, then just changing coaches won't fix the problem.

If Rodgers is crapping on MVS for running the called route, especially when Rodgers supposedly made EQ look bad by telling EQ to run the post and then throwing it to the flag anyways, then Rodgers has just totally lost it as a team mate.  It will be hard to regain trust in that locker room if that has been how he has been behaving.  It says to me that he wanted to punish more than McCarthy, by making Gute look bad for cutting Nelson and going into the season with the rookies.  If he was pissed at McCarthy and Gute, fine, but he shouldn't be f'ing with the rookies because the decision making wasn't their fault, and he needs them to perform going forward.

Between the family stuff and the stuff in the article, I have to wonder what is going on in Rodgers' head.  Hopefully the article is filled with distortion or exaggeration and things will be fine.  

37 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

My main takeaway from that article is Jermichael Finley is jealous of Rodgers' contract.

Then are you just as petty as you’re claiming Finely to be?

Like I don’t get the backlash of Jennings and Finely. Is it purely because they talked mess about Rodgers and to and extent Green Bay?

Like Jennings is clearly hurt that a guy who he thought was a friend turned on him. That’s not hard to understand. And he openly discusses it because that’s his therapy in trying to understand it. Ultimately Rodgers wanted him to side with him... Jennings wasn’t going to. So Rodgers had ever right not to continue with him but Jennings has every right to question it based on his POV and see pettiness in Rodgers.

Finely it’s about how he was viewed as a problem child yet look what Rodgers get away with. It’s OBJ v Brady. Finely is upset because his actions get called selfish yet Rodgers doesn’t. And it’s just as simple as he isn’t as valuable as a Rodgers. So it’s a different standard. But I can totally understand Finely’s frustration. But he is also an interesting POV because he was in the doghouse but got out of it for Rodgers to still feed him passes.

If you understand the human side of it I think it’s easier to take what they have to say and find the “honest” parts in it and not the emotional parts. And not dismiss them as just having an axe to grind because everyone does... clearly Rodgers did with McCarthy. They are all human.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Good stuff.  They should have canned McCarthy after the championship game debacle in Seattle.  It's hard to fire a guy after a championship game defeat, but that loss was outrageous and it came on the heels of a few previous poor showings in big games.  We wasted some prime years with McCarthy still at the helm.

As for Rodgers .. if he doesn't accept the coaching of LaFleur they should orchestrate his departure from Green Bay.  He got his way finally and got McCarthy out of the way .. now it's time to throw his support behind his new coach and get another title.  

Yep. No more false idol worship. Fans tried for years to justify Favre's behavior and now it's the same with Rodgers. With McCarthy out, there's no more excuses for him to hide behind. Either get in line or get outta here.

55 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

My main takeaway from that article is Jermichael Finley is jealous of Rodgers' contract.

Also, TT was both unwilling to sign outside players and unwilling to pay his own players so the good news is, we probably have about 600M in cap somewhere.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

We knew Thompson was declining.....

Not for nothing - and certainly not to dump on TT - but I'd be interested in knowing better what was going on with him.
This article portrays a man in obvious decline.......annnnndddddddd.....since it's kinda hard for a GM to blend in and disappear into the background - I'm wondering why something wasnt done about his situation sooner.

Again - details I most certainly dont know - but - if the article is borderline accurate - our GM was on the way out long before the public had a real sense of it beyond "We dont think his drafts are hitting it like they used to....."

Maybe (?) - maybe (??) - thats why Russ Ball was supposedly more involved in personnel stuff? We (or I at least) perceived that......rumor......to be "potential GM in training" stuff. Perhaps (???) it was a band-aid put on an "in house" TT problem?

11 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Then are you just as petty as you’re claiming Finely to be?

Lol, come on man. 

Finley, Rodgers' No. 1 tight end for four-and-a-half years, remembers the entitlement his QB had even as a first-year starter "when he was broke as f--k."

"You gave a man $200 million," Finley says. "He's the GM. He's the organization. He's the quarterback. And he's the head coach. He has a sense of entitlement already, and then you give him $200 million? You make him one of the highest-paid in history. It comes with the territory, man. I think Rodgers, man to man, needs to take a little more blame."

"He already had a sense of entitlement, then you give him $200 million," Finley repeats.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Not for nothing - and certainly not to dump on TT - but I'd be interested in knowing better what was going on with him.
This article portrays a man in obvious decline.......annnnndddddddd.....since it's kinda hard for a GM to blend in and disappear into the background - I'm wondering why something wasnt done about his situation sooner.

Again - details I most certainly dont know - but - if the article is borderline accurate - our GM was on the way out long before the public had a real sense of it beyond "We dont think his drafts are hitting it like they used to....."

Maybe (?) - maybe (??) - thats why Russ Ball was supposedly more involved in personnel stuff? We (or I at least) perceived that......rumor......to be "potential GM in training" stuff. Perhaps (???) it was a band-aid put on an "in house" TT problem?

If he's undiagnosed with some mental health problem it's hard to move earlier, especially since TT was a bit eccentric beforehand. Unfortunately we shouldve went on his own principle of moving on a year too early instead of a year too late.