Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

BTW, the stuff about the rookie WR's and Rodgers freezing them out reminded me of this from Jeff Pearlman's book on Favre: "Gunslinger"

Favre was of a different era. Rodgers was now. Favre had “his” guys. Rodgers just threw the ball. When he arrived in camp, Chris Samp, a rookie free agent wide receiver from Winona State, couldn’t wait to work with his hero, ol’ No. 4. “He was such a disappointment to me,” said Samp. “If it was his turn in the quarterback rotation and he saw me at wide receiver, he’d wave Rodgers in instead of throwing to me. Just because I was no one. It wasn’t just me. He had favorites.

“I looked up to him. But if I had to run a 12-yard route, he’d wing the ball even before I got to the cut. Then he’d throw his hands up. I’d come back and say, ‘What am I doing wrong?’ He’d say, ‘Forget it. I’m not looking at you.’ He was a jerk. To me. To Aaron.”

tenor.gif

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

Dunne is the king of Rodgers' hit pieces. I guarantee one of his sources are Jordan. Dunne is the one who broke the Rodgers/family drama in the first place. 

This article is much more damaging to McCarthy than Rodgers. Jennings/Jermichael's feelings towards Rodgers are no secret. Rodgers being sensitive and undermining McCarthy is no secret. Him giving rookies the cold shoulder is no secret. Rodgers' ego is no secret. 

But McCarthy skipping meetings for massages, firing coaches over jealousy and basically paying zero attention to the defense is eyeopening. For a guy that preaches accountability that is just unacceptable. 

I also thought the shot at Mike Daniels snuck in there was eyeopening. Basically being called a fake tough guy. Hopefully LaFleur can get this culture right, this team needs a wake up call. 

That ESPN piece that dropped on McCarthy yesterday sure looks like Mike trying to get ahead of this Dunne piece that dropped today. Impeccable timing

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

why is everyone else on the team and basically most who left the team appear to be cool with Rodgers?

I've worked with plenty of ****** bags who I never bad mouthed. Especially not on TV or radio. I mean you obviously realize you're not going to get everyone's true opinion on someone like Rodgers publicly. I don't think he's a monster. He just comes off like a person some people might find difficult. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

And like I said that a fine opinion to come away with the evidence that's present, but at the same time why is everyone else on the team and basically most who left the team appear to be cool with Rodgers?

Shoot, Jordy retired then said he'd come back only if Rodgers asked him. Jordy is farm kid basically universally liked by everyone, I don't think he'd be great friends with a guy who was an arrogant prick. Same with Cobb, Driver, Grant, etc.

I'm not saying Rodgers is a bad person or anything, but this isn't the first time we've read about his cockiness/arrogance. I'm not even objecting to it since a lot of greats in various sports are cocky a-holes, just saying that I buy that it rubs people the wrong way and if you aren't on his good side he's probably a pain to be around

For every Jennings, Finley, anonymous quotes, etc, there's guys like Jordy, Cobb, Bak, etc on the other side of things

45 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I mean, that's a fine opinion to have... But according to who? Finley and  butthurt Jennings?

According to Rodgers. Who got upset because a fan said to him oh thought you’d were taller... and then got butthurt right then and there going “yeah I don’t like that”

Good on Rodgers. He is who he is. People shouldnt get upset over others having bad things to say about him. It’s up to Gute and Murphy to surround him with people he can work with and succeed with.

Edited by Green19

Arrogance is a double edged sword. Without it - you can't climb to the NFL level. With too much of it - you become a problem

I just see both MM and Rodgers as two guys with needed egos who put in a ton of hours with a long grind and it starts getting to you. With MM - he got lazy. With Rodgers - you don't go out of your way for others like you used to. Nature of the beast and why we hear about things getting stale and the shelf life of coaches. A whole lot of human nature going on. Congrats to MM on the happy endings though

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

Arrogance is a double edged sword. Without it - you can't climb to the NFL level. With too much of it - you become a problem

I just see both MM and Rodgers as two guys with needed egos who put in a ton of hours with a long grind and it starts getting to you. With MM - he got lazy. With Rodgers - you don't go out of your way for others like you used to. Nature of the beast and why we hear about things getting stale and the shelf life of coaches

Pretty much this

Here's hoping that's all in the past now that it's an entirely new regime running things from Gute as GM to LaFleur and his staff as coaches.

Nagler posted a video of the EQ play where AR told him to run a post rather than the corner route called for in the playbook.

Okay - I've no problem with anybody making changes on the field - things change out there.
But when it didnt pan out - when AR had to throw the ball away in the corner - it shows "post incompletion" AR rolling his eyes and shaking his head.

Now - it's possible AR was castigating himself for changing the route: "I should have left it alone......"
But I can tell you that as a TV viewer I'm gonna take that AR reaction as: "The WR screwed up somehow" and AR's not pleased.

Since I dont actually know which it was - I cant make any judgement - but it doesnt look good on AR IMO and he should clean that up a bit.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Nagler posted a video of the EQ play where AR told him to run a post rather than the corner route called for in the playbook.

Okay - I've no problem with anybody making changes on the field - things change out there.
But when it didnt pan out - when AR had to throw the ball away in the corner - it shows "post incompletion" AR rolling his eyes and shaking his head.

Now - it's possible AR was castigating himself for changing the route: "I should have left it alone......"
But I can tell you that as a TV viewer I'm gonna take that AR reaction as: "The WR screwed up somehow" and AR's not pleased.

Since I dont actually know which it was - I cant make any judgement - but it doesnt look good on AR IMO and he should clean that up a bit.

Yeah, I mean as a rookie WR, EQ was literally stuck between a rock and a hard place. That was a no-win situation for him either way.

Woah. Just read the full article. So much to digest.

Before I get into that, just a random thought based on this article - after covering our bases in free agency putting us in a position to draft BPA could we be targeting a QB with our #12 pick?

Thompson is gone, McCarthy is gone, Capers is gone, the entire coaching staff is gone. The slate has been wiped clean and Rodgers is literally the last man standing. Do you think we will take it one step further and put Rodgers on notice by drafting a QB? draft a guy to develop over the next 2-3 seasons just like what we did with Rodgers?

Based on the article it sounds like Murphy and Gute are all in with LaFleur and they will be doing everything they can to help him succeed. If right now they feel that there's a slight chance that Rodger's might potentially hamper LaFleur's ability to successfully build a program in any shape or form then drafting a QB makes alot of sense here. Drafting a QB isn't something we have deeply explored on here but it might be time to start seriously considering the possibility.

Right before the Packers announced LaFleur as their new head coach, the source close to the team says Murphy called Rodgers to tell him who they were going with. He didn't ask for permission—he told him who the choice was. There was a brief pause on the other end of the phone before Rodgers eventually spoke. Murphy made it clear that Rodgers would need to accept coaching. "Don't be the problem," he told him. "Don't be the problem."

Whoever's to blame, Murphy does not want drama engulfing his team again.

The source close to the team says the president is "tired of the diva stuff."

This bit is very interesting to me. This implies that the source is someone high up in the organisation. Someone who was in the very same room when that phone call was made. How else did Dunne get the info about Murphy telling Rodgers "Don't be the problem"?. The pool of candidates in that room must've been very small,  You got Gute, Russ Ball, Ed Policy, Kelly Heim, Darryl Franklin as likely candidates. Despite this major front office leak if true sheds a light on the front office mindset towards Rodgers at this moment in time. This could seriously hint towards our mindset towards the draft, especially with two 1st round picks. Are we going to use one of them on a QB?

Before you all say "hey these guys gave Rodgers his contract extension willingly less than a year ago", you got to remember that when we decided to give Rodgers his contract extension in Aug 2018 everything was "fine"...McCarthy was still firmly in the picture and Gute was finding his feet as GM. Then the sh!t hit the fan causing a massive change across the organisation and we're now seeing things with fresh eyes and perspectives. I'm sure there might be some "buyers remorse" for a lack of a better phrase with the contract extension from the front office. I think we're all hoping that Rodgers will refocus and recommit to moving this program forward with LaFleur but it wouldn't shock me if the front office feels they need to take out an insurance policy in the draft.

None of this Rodgers "information" was anything we didnt already know.

And all the scathing comments about Rodgers were from Finley/jennings/unnamed sources (jordan?)...

Click bait article. for sure.

altho, not gonna lie, some of the MM stuff made me laugh. Not gonna miss seeing that piece of trash on the sideline.