Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I saw the other day that 21 FBS coaches were hired in 2019 (may have been 2018?) and only ONE of them was still at the same school. College sports are a shipshow but if schools and coaches can chase the $ I have no problem with the kids doing the same. 

I mean, just look at what Johnny Manziel did for Texas A&M football and look how much money he didn't make from it. That man should probably have high 8 to low 9 figures in his bank account from that alone. It would not have been good for him at the time but it's just the reality of it all.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I think it's fine. College coaches just aren't happy with not having a cult like culture anymore where they can lock down kids and be unapologetic about lying to them. They have to work to keep every kid they lied to. These are 18/19/20 year olds we're talking about. **** happens. Sometimes you get somewhere and it's not where you want to be. You shouldn't be punished like before where you had to sit out a year. Coaches are free to leave without reservation so the kids should be able to as well. 

I needed you to advocate for me when I was 19 and still had three years remaining on my military commitment.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I needed you to advocate for me when I was 19 and still had three years remaining on my military commitment.

Old enough to make the decision to go potentially die for your country but damned if you can have a beer legally back home lol. Make it make sense.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Norm said:

Raising the salary cap doesn't mean only your team gets more money.. It just ******* inflates everything anyways.

More than anything, it helps get us out of the "all-in" hole we were in. I agree with you, I don't think Gute is going shopping for anything above bargain basement unless the perfect guy is available. 

higher salary cap means that the top end contracts will be higher.  It doesn't mean the bottom/middle contracts will be higher.  Those still go to the highest bidder.  Having more cap means you can sign more middle of the road guys, maybe 1-2 more with this news.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That isn't how it works.  Of course you are buying more shots, you found 20 dollars!  This Ken guy doesn't hang with Dave.

Once your credit card is on the bar, you are buying more shots whether you remember it or not.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, squire12 said:

Once your credit card is on the bar, you are buying more shots whether you remember it or not.

For real, the true bar strategy is to bring enough cash to pull you through what you need to spend.  Then know your budget.  Card can stay at home if you do things right.

10 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That isn't how it works.  Of course you are buying more shots, you found 20 dollars!  This Ken guy doesn't hang with Dave.

Yeah being a miser with found money is bad juju. If you find enough in your pocket to buy a few shots-you pay it forward. I was once checking out a show in a jazz bar in Harlem and when it was time to pass the hat the trumpet player said, “You’ve got to keep the money flowing, that’s why it’s called currency. It doesn’t do any good staying in one place”. That got a smile and a few bucks from me at the time and I got to take that gem with me. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

higher salary cap means that the top end contracts will be higher.  It doesn't mean the bottom/middle contracts will be higher.  Those still go to the highest bidder.  Having more cap means you can sign more middle of the road guys, maybe 1-2 more with this news.

How do you figure that? Everyone’s contract demands increase, & for the same reasons. “Highest bidder” price will be driven up by competing bidders also having more money to bid.

Cap #’s 2013 vs 2023

Overall: $123.6m vs $224.8m (+81.9%)

#30 CB: $2.9m vs $5.5m (+90%)

#30 S: $2.0m vs $3.7m (+85%)

#30 OT: $3.1m vs $6.9m (+123%)

#30 OG: $2.75m vs $3.8m (+38%)

#30 WR: $4.0m vs $6.9m (+73%)

Minimums: $0.405m vs $0.75m (+85%)