Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

It is a story that irresistibly finds its way into the snickering, puerile hearts of male football fans of all ages, the tale of a Packer playboy who not only ignored The Man (and no coach has ever been more The Man than Lombardi), but got the girl(s!) and then dominated the Super Bowl with a hangover, winning a chest full of macho merit badges in a single night (and in the day that followed). As long as there are Super Bowls, there will be Max McGee, the guy with an alliterative name straight from a cheap crime novel who stayed out in the darkness of a winter night in California and groggily emerged a hero in the sunlight of the biggest football game in America.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/12/28/max-mcgee-green-bay-packers-super-bowl-i

Found this article saved to the reading list on my phone. I had heard stories about Max’s night out but this shares all about it and his entire life. Pretty remarkable story of a legendary Packer.  R.I.P. 

Edited by thrILL!

Ian Rapoport -  The Giants will not use a tag -- franchise or transition -- on S Xavier McKinney, per me and MikeGarafolo. He'll be a free agent.

• Matt Schneidman -  Xavier McKinney and Jordan Love share an agent, by the way.
    Derrick Ansley was the lead recruiter for Xavier McKinney at Alabama. Derrick Ansley is now the Packers defensive pass game coordinator.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I would not be especially surprised to see Gute bring Savage back, sign another S in FA, and still spend something like a RD3/RD4 pick at S.

Sounds reasonable.  I think Savage sucks, but maybe the new guy has a game plan for him in this new scheme.  He's athletic enough for sure, but has been a pretty big disappointment for a first round pick.

33 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I would not be especially surprised to see Gute bring Savage back, sign another S in FA, and still spend something like a RD3/RD4 pick at S.

Savage would surprise me..no effort to extend him before his void years accelerated all his future money to this year. If we thought he'd stick around we'd have worked harder to get that done.

It's more likely, IMO we bring back Ford or Owens to be a reserve/ST guy than Savage.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Savage would surprise me..no effort to extend him before his void years accelerated all his future money to this year. If we thought he'd stick around we'd have worked harder to get that done.

It's more likely, IMO we bring back Ford or Owens to be a reserve/ST guy than Savage.

If we bring back Savage, it's probably going to be as a starter for better or for worse- though I'm probably autistically quoting the so-obvious-nothing-need-be-said.

I would think Ford's capacity as a gunner would give him the upper hand over Owens if we can only bring back one of them, though both his prior performance as an emergency starter at S and even his recent injuries might put a damper on that idea- another team might just sign him as a stop-gap option as a starter.

I'd like to see what Savage could do in Haf's defense. I would offer him a pretty nice one-year prove-it deal. If no one gives him a solid multi-year deal, it would be there for him as an option. Meanwhile, work on signing one of the other top vets, and see what the draft brings.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Probably my favorite name so far.

Dude has an impressive resume of work.  For sure.  He's a little older, but I feel like there is at least a good two years left in that tank.  Maybe 3.

Pete Dougherty might be a little wrong on this one.  I see a guy like AJ Hawk being a lock for the Packers Hall of Fame at some point.  It's not like there is a super high bar to getting in there.  This is from his chat today.

Nick: Two Packers defensive  players that where a key factor during their last Super Bowl run were Clay Mathhews and A.J. Hawk. Are they in the Packers Hall of Fame and, if not, why? And do you think they will make the NFL HOF?

Pete Dougherty: Neither is in the Packers Hall of Fame. I don’t think Hawk rises to that level. He had a nice, long (nine years) career with them, was durable (only two games missed because of injury). But I don’t think his play rose to the level of belonging in the team’s Hall of Fame. He was a solid player, I wouldn’t go any further than that. All in all, I’d say he wasn’t much better than an average starter. Matthews will be in the team’s Hall of Fame at some point, can’t imagine he won’t be. I don’t know if the Hall has a mandatory waiting period for eligibility (the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s is five years after the player retires), but Matthews left the team after the 2018 season and retired after the 2019 season, so he hasn’t been out for very long. I have to think that’s why he’s not in yet. The Packers Hall had a reputation for years and years of often inducting players because they were fan favorites and might increase ticket sales for the banquet, etc., rather than for how well they played. But the selection committee has raised the bar in the past 15 years or so. I don’t think Hawk clears it. Matthews clearly does, and I suspect he’ll get in soon.