Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If the Packers don't win the division I will change my username to TinkleWinkle the next time webby allows username changes.

Aren't you the reverse psychology thread guy? I think you should change your name now to insure we win the division :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Radagast said:

On Defense, where most of the offseason attention has been focused, I see another year of improvement. However without a defensive star (like a Reggie White or a Khalil Mack  type of player) they can only rise to an above average defense. Mike Daniels is certainly a force, but he is just short of being a real star player. 

what qualifies as a defensive star? Who was Buffalo's star last year? Or Baltimore's? 

Just read a piece from Acme Packing Co. It was talking about the improvement in speed at the DB position. Part of that piece caught my attention. Here were the 40 times.

Tony Brown    4.35
Ka'Dar Hollman    4.37 (pro day)
Jaire Alexander   4.38
Natrell Jamerson   4.40
Kevin King   4.43
Josh Jackson 4.48
Tramon Williams   4.57

That is a whole heap of fast guys.......AND the Packers have just added a 4.35 safety (Savage) to go with a 4.41 J.Jones.  That's enough ultra-speed in one place to go critical. BOOM !

• Like 2

Is that really much faster than when we had Randall and Josh Hawkins, and Brice and that athletic Milwaukee safety from Utah, and the converted WR (Herb Williams, maybe?), and others....  They've been very attentive to pick up high-speed and good athleticism UDFA for the secondary; it's just that those guys couldn't actually play the position!  Running speed is great, but being able to decide when to run and where to run to, that's harder....  

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

what qualifies as a defensive star? Who was Buffalo's star last year? Or Baltimore's? 

Or the Pats, good defence is about 11 guys playing together. Sprinkle in some very good players working well together and you have our 2009 and 10 defence.  No reason to think that we don’t have a few probowlers on this unit. Clark and JA I could easily see being on the verge Clark. With the front either Smith could have a huge year. Easy to see the makings here of a stellar unit for years to come. 

See your point Incog and felt like expanding it. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, craig said:

Is that really much faster than when we had Randall and Josh Hawkins, and Brice and that athletic Milwaukee safety from Utah, and the converted WR (Herb Williams, maybe?), and others....  They've been very attentive to pick up high-speed and good athleticism UDFA for the secondary; it's just that those guys couldn't actually play the position!  Running speed is great, but being able to decide when to run and where to run to, that's harder....  

Talent is much improved with all that speed although not noted. 

58 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Just read a piece from Acme Packing Co. It was talking about the improvement in speed at the DB position. Part of that piece caught my attention. Here were the 40 times.

Tony Brown    4.35
Ka'Dar Hollman    4.37 (pro day)
Jaire Alexander   4.38
Natrell Jamerson   4.40
Kevin King   4.43
Josh Jackson 4.48
Tramon Williams   4.57

That is a whole heap of fast guys.......AND the Packers have just added a 4.35 safety (Savage) to go with a 4.41 J.Jones.  That's enough ultra-speed in one place to go critical. BOOM !

Pretty sure Amos was sub 4.40 at his pro-day as well.

1 hour ago, craig said:

I know he's gone now, but don't besmirch his name: Herb 'Walk on' Waters.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, craig said:

J.Hawkins 4.39,   K.Brice, 4.38,   they were fast.  D.Randall (4.46), M.Evans (4.52), H.Waters (4.50), they weren't slow but they were not low 4.4's or faster.

I made no comment on how well the guys I listed play, it was more a comment on how much the Packers covet speed. The Packers you mentioned are all with the Packers in the 2016 to 2018 bracket, this is within the time the Pack increasingly collected the really high RAS guys. @incognito_man also reminded me that Amos was quick (a 4.37 40). Five DBs having run a 4.40 or faster time (which doesn't include King with a 4.43 time at 6'3" tall, or Josh Jones who ran a 4.41 40 at 220lb.), that must be more speed at DB than the Packers have ever had before. They have had a quick guy or two on the team in the past (Sam Shields with a supposed 4.26 time recorded at Miami, and a 4.30 on his pro day, was notable), but never have the Packers had so many at one time.

You can't teach speed, as the saying goes. It doesn't mean you play well, but it's a good DB ability to hang your hat on, when you take a flier on someone.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

They have had a quick guy or two on the team in the past (Sam Shields with a supposed 4.26 time recorded at Miami, and a 4.30 on his pro day, was notable), but never have the Packers had so many at one time.

Top 5 CBs From a Ted Thompson Year (minus Tramon) 

4.30  - 4.37 - 4.41  - 4.46  - 4.48  --> 4.404

Top 5 2019 CBs (minus Tramon) 

4.35  - 4.38 - 4.38  - 4.43 - 4.56 --> 4.42 

Edited by Cadmus