Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

On 8/25/2019 at 8:07 AM, Chili said:

I pinpoint the moment where we went wrong was the Spriggs trade up. When we traded up we all knew the Packers were in a need of a S/ILB hybrid due to the increasing use of nickle and dime defences in the NFL. Deion Jones was right there for us to draft but instead we drafted Spriggs.  Deion Jones was drafted just a few picks later. The hybrid role remained unresolved until the very next year when we drafted Josh Jones. That didn't work and so we drafted Oren Burks and the jury is currently out on this one.

The Packers essentially chose to draft a backup OL who was never going to start ahead of Bakhtiari and Bulaga over a player who could start right away and make an impact on our defence. All this in the freaking 2nd round and with a trade up to boot. Urgh.

I hated that decision then and I hate it now.

Dieon Jones had the required size and speed but what especially made him stood out for me was his physicality, leadership and character. He had intangibles that would've been a wonderful addition to our defence and I was amazed that the Packers scouts and leadership did not see this. I'm still struggling to understand what was it about Spriggs they liked more.

I get the love for Deion JOnes, I really liked him too.

But I thought we were taking a guard, Whitehair, to be exact.  I think we had Lane (dumpster fire) Taylor at the time and an aged or aging TJ Lang.  We needed inside help.  Instead of that we went Spriggs, who clearly won the Underwear Olympics that year.

I thought they were hedging bets against Bakh, but Bakh was amazing that year and signed his deal.  

Oh well.  No point to the post except that I thought Whitehair was the guy.

19 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

Pats release Mike Pennel.

I think a 2 yr 12 mil contract gets it done. The best part is we only have to guarantee like 80% of it.

Why?

Don't we have that player under contract already for a fraction of the cost in Lancaster?

Clark.  Lowry.  Lancaster.  Adams.  Keke.

I can roll with those 5 right now.  Thought it would be a weakness this year, but I've really liked how Keke has played...and Z is going to eat some snaps in there, too.

44 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

Pats release Mike Pennel.

I think a 2 yr 12 mil contract gets it done. The best part is we only have to guarantee like 80% of it.

What?

FYI, he just got cut from a 2yr $4M contract.

iServices

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Why?

Don't we have that player under contract already for a fraction of the cost in Lancaster?

Clark.  Lowry.  Lancaster.  Adams.  Keke.

I can roll with those 5 right now.  Thought it would be a weakness this year, but I've really liked how Keke has played...and Z is going to eat some snaps in there, too.

2018: Mike Danials
2017: Mike Danials
2016: Mike Danials
2015: Mike Danials, Mike Neal, Mike Pennel
2014: Mike Danials, Mike Neal, Mike Pennel, MikeAh Hyde
2013: Mike Danials, Mike Neal
2012: Mike Neal
2011: Mike Neal
2010: Mike Neal, Mike Montgomery

That's a Mike splitting time playing on our line every year since the Super Bowl, crescendoing at peak Mike in 2014.... AKA the closest we've sniffed the Owl since. 
And now we've fired Mike M? Cut Mike D? There's only one Mike on the entire roster. If he wasn't the baddest man on the planet this ship would be officially sunk.

It's like this team isn't even trying anymore. Unless Kinglsey wants to change his name to Mike I think he's a wasted pick and this is a wasted season. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 8:07 AM, Chili said:

The Packers essentially chose to draft a backup OL who was never going to start ahead of Bakhtiari and Bulaga over a player who could start right away and make an impact on our defence. All this in the freaking 2nd round and with a trade up to boot. Urgh.

You're missing the context of a timeline here.  David Bakhtiari didn't ink his extension until September of 2016, and was set to become a FA at the end of the year.  Jason Spriggs was drafted in April of 2016.  Spriggs was an insurance policy if Bakh walked as a FA, or Bryan Bulaga struggled with injuries.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dubz41 said:

So what's with the DBs getting signed?  Thought we were looking ok at CB.  Is this because King is not responding with the hammy?  Just seems like we should be looking for RBs or ILBs.

Honestly, it's hard to keep with up with all of the signings (and releases) that have been happening.  Just a revolving door over at 1265, and at some strange positions as you noted.

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 2:41 PM, Leader said:

Apparently GBP FO considered the need for hybrid S/LB to be less than OL reinforcement. Cant put the timing of events back in place exactly - but I'd wager Bulaga's situation plus the presence of Burnett still came in to play with the decision. 

I look at it from a talent evaluation of application perspective....and either they FO (and scouts) gauged Jones skills wrong - or the coaches  couldnt figure out what round hole he fit in to. Be interesting to see where he goes and how he's used in the future.

Maybe the GPO were just thinking BPA and had a high grade on him probably a first round grade. It wasn't a case of which position they thought was more important just that he was the best player and too good value at that spot so made the decision to trade up. With Bakhtieri's contract and Bulaga's injuries there was enough need for a tackle to not block a move for a tackle if the value was there.

Ultimately if you value the player you have to pick them unless position need really and truly isn't there. If Bulaga went down with a bad injury (perfectly possible) and Spriggs was looking a stud elsewhere then you are going to feel stupid not doing something in the draft even though your own big board was screaming out for you to do something to get him.

They got the evaluation wrong. Doesn't mean the logic for picking him was wrong.

19 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

So what's with the DBs getting signed?  Thought we were looking ok at CB.  Is this because King is not responding with the hammy?  Just seems like we should be looking for RBs or ILBs.

They replaced a safety with a corner...not seeing the problem here.  At this point, your top 6 CBs (Jaire Alexander, Kevin King, Tramon Williams, Tony Brown, Josh Jackson, and Ka'Dar Hollman) are probably roster locks at this point.  Unless the Packers plan on carry 7 CBs, you probably are looking at trying to get Kabion Ento on the PS.

44 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Need bodies for the last preseason game.