Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

That left-handed pass yesterday was a sack the last 4 seasons. We (I think) got a TD on that drive, whereas we would have punted had he taken that sack.

He is noticeably focusing on the RBs in the passing game more while simultaneously acknowledging "I've had a lot of statistical success in the league now I just want to win." Rodgers pretty much confirming @Outpost31's takes.

He did stand in there and take some hits yesterday too. Now had he hit that bomb to MVS that would have been sweet.

40 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The explosive play metric is very much still alive. Our drives with/without a 20 yard play is gross.

Agreed we needed to take another couple shots yesterday. When your burner MVS can get 5 years clear of his DB you need to do that again later. AR missed that badly we got lucky on the DPI really. Either way it is a good point about explosive plays. I think they will come as MFL and AR get more comfortable with each other and how and when to call those deep shots.

8 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I don't dispute that they are important.

My opinion is that whomever (I use that term to avoid the inevitable argument about the MM/Rodgers balance) lost sight of how the successful non explosive plays help set up the explosive plays.  At some level, you have to keep your QB healthy, and the chains moving until the explosive play opens up.

Fair enough opinion

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Agreed we needed to take another couple shots yesterday. When your burner MVS can get 5 years clear of his DB you need to do that again later. AR missed that badly we got lucky on the DPI really. Either way it is a good point about explosive plays. I think they will come as MFL and AR get more comfortable with each other and how and when to call those deep shots.

Yeah.. I think Aaron was trying to be too fine there on that throw.  Just throw it out there with some air under it and let MVS run under it.  Rodgers used to be so deadly on these types of passes, and for whatever reason the past few years he's lost some of that elite accuracy.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I kinda think MLF drew up a gameplan that would be heavy run, screens to RB's and TE's, with enough check-downs thrown in that the receivers downfield didn't need to step up all that often.  It may have actually caught Dallas off-guard a bit.  And Jones just made people miss all afternoon.  MVS did look good and hopefully this trend continues.

It's the best game I've seen Jones play.  He had great vision, patience and....I thought he was just gliding out there.  Like he had a gear in him that the defense didn't have.  

It was pretty spectacular to watch.

And yah...I liked the gameplan.  Just thought MVS was open enough to warrant mentioning.  I want to say this WR corp is devoid of talent outside of Adams, I want to say that MVS will never really "get it" to become an even "good" WR...but those statements just aren't true.

I thought yesterday, MVS took a pretty large step forward in his development.  I swear I saw him setting up some routes instead of just running them like he would in practice.  I was pretty excited to see those things.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Of Rodgers 22 completions, 18 were to running backs or tight ends.

Defenses now have to account for everyone on the field and not focus on stopping a couple of WR's.

I get the concept of the defense needing to account for everybody.  Still if you're only completing 4 passes to WR's, how much "accounting" do they need to do for WR's?  

A concern is that defenses can single-cover our WR (other than Adams) and not get punished for doing so.   

A lot easier to create space underneath if defenses are tied up covering WR's.  

43 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He only got hit 4 times total yesterday. And I think 3 were in a 4 play sequence in the second quarter.

Yeah the oline played well. He did stand in there though and took some hits. To be honest he seems so much like Favre when MM first go with him. Some brilliant stuff and some stuff is like whaaaaat. 

19 minutes ago, craig said:

I get the concept of the defense needing to account for everybody.  Still if you're only completing 4 passes to WR's, how much "accounting" do they need to do for WR's?  

A concern is that defenses can single-cover our WR (other than Adams) and not get punished for doing so.   

A lot easier to create space underneath if defenses are tied up covering WR's.  

Or better yet they do single cover maybe that helps. Each week may take a different manner to win. This is some good team football. As long as the D plays well who cares who gets the praise wr rb te spread it around.
AR was so filthy when he spread it around earlier in his career. 
Now the lions have to think run and pass for Monday. It won’t be as easy to game plan. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Because Adams was injured today, and because instead of using RBs as check downs, we're seeing them used more as primary targets

I think it’s a bigger trend than that and it starts with MLF. I suspect when Adams comes back you’ll see the RB targets higher than under MM

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Is Bulaga > Bakhtiari?

Does it matter anymore. Most teams move their edge guys back and forth so Bugs and Bak both take on the premiere guys game in and game out. Both of our tackes are very good. If Bugs makes it healthy through the year i hope we can keep him at a decent deal.

Edited by PACKRULE

6 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Does it matter anymore. Most teams move their edge guys back and forth so Bugs and Bak both take on the premiere guys game in and game out. Both of our tackes are very good. If Bugs makes it healthy through the year i hope we can keep him at a decent deal.

it matters in that it gives us something to argue about!