Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

9 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Green is in the last year of his deal and has a 12 million base salary. He's also been very banged up the last few years. Heck of a talent but with our cap situation you are gambling on him being the guy to get us over the hump and win a Super Bowl. Similar deal with Sanders! 

If we trade for him in week 8 and pay him for 10 weeks he's $7M cap for us

However I expect someone trading for AJ would be extending him once they got him, so I am fairly confident we can count us out on that... 

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, 15412 said:

OK, fair enough.  Reed is in the category health wise as AJ Green, though if you could get Green healthy a far more dynamic addition.

I like the idea of adding Fitz, hadn't thought of that.  Would the Cards part with him.....

I expect the Pats will trade for one of these WR's mentioned …. Sanders, Green, Fitz.   Don't know if Parker in Miami is healthy, just trying to rack my melon for another weapon that can be had.

Fitz wants to be a Cardinal.  He's not going anywhere.  Ever.  It is his choice and he's earned it there.

38 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Green is in the last year of his deal and has a 12 million base salary. He's also been very banged up the last few years. Heck of a talent but with our cap situation you are gambling on him being the guy to get us over the hump and win a Super Bowl. Similar deal with Sanders! 

That's fine ... we're a legit playoff contender, but we could use another weapon on offense this year.  I think we also can get a comp pick if that player goes on to ink a big deal somewhere else in 2020.  

16 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

That's fine ... we're a legit playoff contender, but we could use another weapon on offense this year.  I think we also can get a comp pick if that player goes on to ink a big deal somewhere else in 2020.  

Since the Bengals are probably expecting that comp pick we will at least have to cough up something of the same value. Signing AJ Green means having almost no rollover money and losing some draft capital. I wouldn't be completely against it, but I'd think twice about it.

1 hour ago, 15412 said:

If Fitz wants to be fitted with a ring in what is likely to be his last year or two he will go somewhere.....

He's said over and over that he wants to remain a Cardinal.  He's the face of their franchise.

Not disagreeing with you at all about the ring.  Just that I know from every interview he's ever done, he's a Cardinal for life.

That being said...cue the trade in 3....2.....1.....

Edited by vegas492

Now I'm not of the opinion that coming off a bye necessarily means you're going to play well/better, but our next 3 games: 

Detroit (H) -- Detroit coming off a bye

Raiders (H) - Raiders coming off a bye

Chiefs (A) -- Chiefs coming off mini-bye (Thurs game)

16 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Wouldn't mind at all bringing Pennel back for our run defense. Guy was pretty solid the last few years in that department. 

Pennel was a big big fella I liked him here but he did not do much. Could spell the big boy and give Clark some breaths in the middle of the field and maybe in parts of the game. Clearly he hasn't improved much or he would not be taking workouts. At least we have some knowledge of him.

3 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

i'm pretty sure that's sly calling card too. or was. 

Sly Williams was a DL player GB passed on when they took Datone in 2013
Mr. Pennel may or may not still be in Stage 2 of the substance abuse policy, he got nailed several times in GB, including a 4 game suspension in 2016

Acme Packing:

The smart money was on Bulaga to play out his contract this season, miss his usual four to six games with injury, gut through four to six more, and walk in free agency only to retire a year or two down the road. Green Bay would either draft his replacement in 2020 or slide Turner out and seek a new right guard with Elgton Jenkins now entrenched as the long-term answer on the left side.

That plan looked good until Bulaga started playing like an All-Pro.

The eight-year vet turns 31 this offseason, not exactly a spring chicken, but hardly a burdensome age at this point. Injury red flags had fans ready to drive him to the airport this spring, but such concerns are overblown.

Moving on from Bulaga would erect troubling obstacles for the Packers moving forward. Quality offensive linemen are harder than ever to draft and cultivate for myriad reasons including college schemes and a lack of practice time. Even a first-round pick hardly provides a reliable pathway to a quality lineman in 2020 or even 2021. We just witnesses the struggles of Jason Spriggs who couldn’t even finish out his rookie contract without the team willing to move on.

If they’re willing to spend money in free agency, why not just spend it on Bulaga?

Edited by Leader