Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

32 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

in the Ron Wolf world, you draft the offense so they all grow together and you use FA/trades + the draft to build the defense
The offensive playbook makes it really hard to add players mid-season and have them be productive vs the defensive playbook which is much smaller 
Those aren't hard and fast rules, but tendencies that the Wolf Tree guys seem to value

There aren't many OL or WRs you could bring in off the street/ trade for,  who can assimilate the offense well enough to beat out the incumbents
On the defensive side, its not quite as difficult to plug a guy in.

I'm not going to argue against this backing by any means. However, we're not getting Geno Atkins for "free" -- it would require draft capital. Which goes right back into the argument I was making in regards to the 2020 holes that I would like to see filled. 

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Times change.

Yes they do.
But the march of time has no impact on the fact that Offensive playbooks are larger, deeper and more difficult to assimilate than Defensive playbooks
So in terms of team-building strategies, Ron is still relevant.

Gute has added multiple dudes on defense mid-season over the last 2 years, can't say the same about the offense. Even the call up of Tra Carson from the practice squad vs grabbing an RBs off the street points to the challenges of adding offensive players mid-season. When Gute needed another OL, he grabbed Pankey off the Titans because Pankey knows the offense.

The Packers have added LB Morrison from Indy , BJ Goodson from the NYGs, Ibraheim Campbell from the Jets, Tim Williams from the Ravens etc as mid- year additions

Just wanted to point out that tomorrow is Brett Favre's 50'th birthday.

Couple fun facts about Brett…

Upon retiring, Brett Favre was the first NFL quarterback to pass for 500 touchdown, thrown for 70,000 yards, complete 6,000 passes and attempt 10,000 passes.

He still holds the record for consecutive starts in the NFL….at 297.  321 if you include the playoffs.

He is the only player to win the Associated Press Most Valuable Player award three consecutive times.

Upon retiring, Brett was the NFL’s all time leader in passing yards, passing touchdowns and quarterback wins.

Brett was elected into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2016.

He was elected into the Packer Hall of Fame in 2015.

Thanks for the memories, Brett!

favre-2.jpg

And he's still JACKED!

brett-favre.jpg?w=600&h=352&crop=1

Bill Huber: Position coach Mike Smith wants Rashan Gary to 'go for the big play'

It’s time for Rashan Gary to be unleashed.

Not necessarily by the Green Bay Packers, who have been getting superb production from the tandem of Za’Darius Smith and Preston Smith.

Rather, it’s time for Gary to be unleashed by himself.

“My big thing with Gary is his self-confidence,” outside linebackers coach Mike Smith said this week. “Not worrying about making a mistake as much as making a big play. Go for the big play. You can’t be half-pregnant. I think at times, he’s so worried about making a mistake where, ‘Gary, you’re one of the best athletes on the field, if not the best athlete on the field.’ So, he makes some great plays but he’s worried, ‘I don’t want to mess this up.’ I just tell him to go. That’s my big thing with him.”

It’s a message Gary has heard and is working to implement.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Bill Huber: Position coach Mike Smith wants Rashan Gary to 'go for the big play'

It’s time for Rashan Gary to be unleashed.

Not necessarily by the Green Bay Packers, who have been getting superb production from the tandem of Za’Darius Smith and Preston Smith.

Rather, it’s time for Gary to be unleashed by himself.

“My big thing with Gary is his self-confidence,” outside linebackers coach Mike Smith said this week. “Not worrying about making a mistake as much as making a big play. Go for the big play. You can’t be half-pregnant. I think at times, he’s so worried about making a mistake where, ‘Gary, you’re one of the best athletes on the field, if not the best athlete on the field.’ So, he makes some great plays but he’s worried, ‘I don’t want to mess this up.’ I just tell him to go. That’s my big thing with him.”

It’s a message Gary has heard and is working to implement.

Translation....you are gonna make mistakes, so make them at full speed and we will take the good with the bad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Just wanted to point out that tomorrow is Brett Favre's 50'th birthday.

Couple fun facts about Brett…

Upon retiring, Brett Favre was the first NFL quarterback to pass for 500 touchdown, thrown for 70,000 yards, complete 6,000 passes and attempt 10,000 passes.

He still holds the record for consecutive starts in the NFL….at 297.  321 if you include the playoffs.

He is the only player to win the Associated Press Most Valuable Player award three consecutive times.

Upon retiring, Brett was the NFL’s all time leader in passing yards, passing touchdowns and quarterback wins.

Brett was elected into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2016.

He was elected into the Packer Hall of Fame in 2015.

Thanks for the memories, Brett!

favre-2.jpg

And he's still JACKED!

brett-favre.jpg?w=600&h=352&crop=1

Imagine what Favre could do in this no contact era of football? Loved him and can say I am so happy I did make it down in 07 to see the old may play in Green and Gold. Looking good ole timer.

18 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

in the Ron Wolf world, you draft the offense so they all grow together and you use FA/trades + the draft to build the defense
The offensive playbook makes it really hard to add players mid-season and have them be productive vs the defensive playbook which is much smaller 
Those aren't hard and fast rules, but tendencies that the Wolf Tree guys seem to value

There aren't many OL or WRs you could bring in off the street/ trade for,  who can assimilate the offense well enough to beat out the incumbents
On the defensive side, its not quite as difficult to plug a guy in.

The problem with that is that we haven't drafted the offence.

We have Adams (currently injured), MVS who is still a project and then a bunch of undrafted JAGs. We aren't even talking undrafted guys we took on as rookies who tore it up. We are talking guys that nobody wanted in the draft then in the pros the team they signed for didn't want them either.  Even Sheppard was a try-out so wasn't even someone we particularly wanted as an undrafted player. 

The offence was fantastic against Dallas but unless Jones does that every week then you aren't going to be get through too many games without any receivers. I get your point, but don't think you can just leave it and hope for the best.

If you draft exclusively defence - surely you need to use FA/trades to fill out the offence. 

20 hours ago, 15412 said:

"If they’re willing to spend money in free agency, why not just spend it on Bulaga?"

The guy has been nothing short of terrific this year.  Tremendous year thus far.  Would love him to return on a 2 or 3 year deal.  His agent will want a longer term deal for him with the equivalent mucho up front moolah.  He may be young enough in age to justify, but that's just a number.  His body is corroding, the warrior has taken a lot of abuse.  I think he and his agent knows this is his last big deal, and some team will make a mistake in desperation and sign him to a long term deal with big up front money.  We have to pass.  We have others to concern ourselves with.  We will be drafting one early next year, very likely round 1.

Agreed. 

Sometimes you have to reluctantly walk away and be glad you got him at his peak. Would love to have him back on a one or two year deal and would be OK overpaying. But a big multi-year contract here is one that the law of averages says there is a good chance you are going to regret in the not too distant future.

Th best thing about the FA signings this year was they were second contract guys. If you are spending big then do it on a second year contract guy without a significant injury history.

Even Bakhtieri and Adams on a 3rd contract makes me jittery.