Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Not sure how that's a bad thing being somehow completely balanced O.o. It's actually impressive it's a clear cut 50/50. 

We all agree that having gold is good. We all agree that having silver is good.

You're told you're going to be given 2lbs of gold and silver and you can choose to distribute the quantity as you see fit. You're not going to choose 1lb of each to be balanced.

19 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're told you're going to be given 2lbs of gold and silver and you can choose to distribute the quantity as you see fit. You're not going to choose 1lb of each to be balanced.

Cant both the run and pass be gold?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Interesting analogy, but I'm not sure it works, here.  Try throwing 100% on every first down and see if you're still picking up 6.2 yards per pass.

• Like 1

We average 6.2 yards per pass and 3.7 yards per run

I get where you are coming from but passing at a greater rate will not continue that trend you note and you know that. if MLF based his pass/run distribution based solely off a stat like this it would surely drop from 6.2. One could suggest that the only reason our pass plays are averaging 6.2 yards is because we are running it more and have a decent ypc ( not great but decent considering our stiff competition this year ).

From NFL.com of the 15 highest pass percentile teams this year only 4 teams have winning records 2 of those teams are 4-1 and 2 are 3-2. The rest are all losers. Interestingly enough teams from 16-32 in pass percentile on NFL.com have 13 teams with winning records. Currently in this year, teams that are more balanced are winning. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-play-pct

Edited by PACKRULE

8 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

I get where you are coming from but passing at a greater rate will not continue that trend you note and you know that. if MLF based his pass/run distribution based solely off a stat like this it would surely drop from 6.2. One could suggest that the only reason our pass plays are averaging 6.2 yards is because we are running it more and have a decent ypc ( not great but decent considering our stiff competition this year ).

From NFL.com of the 15 highest pass percentile teams this year only 4 teams have winning records 2 of those teams are 4-1 and 2 are 3-2. The rest are all losers. Interestingly enough teams from 16-32 in pass percentile on NFL.com have 13 teams with winning records. Currently in this year, teams that are more balanced are winning. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-play-pct

No ****, they're running because they're up in the 4th quarter. 

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No, based on the 6.2/3.7 breakdown

We should probably have the data por 1st downs.

Besides, pass plays are always going to give por YPA than run ones. Increasing the pass attempts can turn into a lower YPA (big enough that the average decreases). Maximizing the return should obviously be the goal. We are 16th in run attempts, so I guess we are not that far off that ideal balance. Other considerations should be taken into account, such as how that balance affects the rest of the downs or how our coach tries to disguise pass plays showing similar looks to running ones (although he still hasn't been very successful doing it).

I don't know, I guess taking the 6.2/3.7 breakdown seems a bit too simplistic for me.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

We should probably have the data por 1st downs.

Besides, pass plays are always going to give por YPA than run ones. Increasing the pass attempts can turn into a lower YPA (big enough that the average decreases). Maximizing the return should obviously be the goal. We are 16th in run attempts, so I guess we are not that far off that ideal balance. Other considerations should be taken into account, such as how that balance affects the rest of the downs or how our coach tries to disguise pass plays showing similar looks to running ones (although he still hasn't been very successful doing it).

I don't know, I guess taking the 6.2/3.7 breakdown seems a bit too simplistic for me.

I like what you are thinking. A running play is more likely to end up 2nd and 6.3 than a pass play is to end up 2nd and 3.8 because there are so many zeroes in the population of all first down pass plays. On the other hand, there will be more first downs after a pass on first down than there will be first downs after a run on first down.

Also, there will be way more 2nd and tens following a pass play because of the zero thing. I don't really care what we do on first down as long as we keep getting them.

No ****, they're running because they're up in the 4th quarter. 

Well it's difficult to discuss your responses to the original thought of a 50/50 ratio. So far you don't like it, quoted the yards per and now this. I thank you for the enlightenment.

I would believe that not all teams are merely running when up. Heck the Eagles walked into GB and ran it down our throat. Either way i like the balance and if need be like the Eagles game I am sure MLF will break out of it like Sunday if the run game is working use it. Having a good ratio on 1st though should keep DC's honest in preparing for us on a first down basis.

Edited by PACKRULE