Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

21 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Lots of evidence from college that it was a strength of his.

Theres also evidence from college that he fought the ball a bit as well. One of his main highlights is him bobbling a long ball.

Its like speaking a foreign language fluently. Just enough of an accent that you can tell that's not his primary.

50 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Theres also evidence from college that he fought the ball a bit as well. One of his main highlights is him bobbling a long ball.

Its like speaking a foreign language fluently. Just enough of an accent that you can tell that's not his primary.

I mean sure, but he does stuff naturally as a receiver that you can’t just pick up one off season. The long back shoulder TD last week is an example.

15 hours ago, waterfish_21 said:

You think Adams is on the HOF path?  Torry Holt isn't in the HOF, he had 8 straight seasons with 1100+ yards including a high of 1696.  Adams has had exactly 1 season with 1000+ yards.   Unless Adams is going on some peak Randy Moss run for the next 7 + years there is 0 chance he makes the hall. 

Dang, that sheds some light on the numbers thing. Gotta think Holt will get in eventually with over 13,000 yards receiving- shees.

With Holt, thinking the relatively low TD numbers are hurting him. If Adams stays healthy, he could have over 100 TDs, that would help. But, yeah, he'll need more numbers. Not 7 + years of peak Moss. I'm thinking 5 more years like 2016 & 2018.

15 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

The Darrius Shepherd experiment is over.

Will be interesting to see if he goes to the PS.

Dang, what a mess.

It seemed kinda like small trade and move to a younger guy, but no. Now, the Packers return game is up in the air and a not fast WR group is now even slower.

It was a completely unnecessary fluster cuck!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, deathstar said:

Lots of evidence from college that it was a strength of his.

Jones? I mean Starks caught like a million passes one year in college. Jones isn't a stone handed loser. He's just not at all up there with Kamara. Even minus that one TD drop, it just doesn't look super comfortable to him from my POV just yet 

13 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I mean Kamara is a natural pass catcher, no comparison there. I think Jones basically learned it this off-season because he was actually going to be used in the passing game. 

@Shanedorf posted some stuff in the off-season about MLF liking pass routes for RB's.

I was all over it, stating that RB's aren't used to those routes or those throws.  I was going to talk about that after Jones let a TD bounce off of his helmet earlier.

But....he's turned it around big time.  He and Williams are running some great routes and now catching the ball.

@Shanedorf had cited a scouting report of Jones coming out when one scout said he had natural WR type hands.  

Kudos and respect to @Shanedorf for that post many months ago.

Here is what I found when I did a search for Aaron Jones scouting report...as it relates to his hands and receiving ability.

http://breakingfootball.com/2017-nfl-draft-aaron-jones-scouting-report/

Strengths: Runs with a nice blend of speed and power, especially impressive for a smaller guy. Has very nice explosion through the hole when it is there. Keeps his feet moving, loves to fight for extra yards. Fights threw arm tackles well, also possesses a nice stiff arm which he uses often. Excels in the pass game as well. Shows good effort as a pass blocker and has good enough hands to be a solid third down back. Excels in a spread system where he can catch passes out of the backfield along with taking the occasional draw play.

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2018/11/15/matt-waldmans-rsp-nfl-draft-scouting-report-rb-aaron-jones-packers/

One of the lesser-known strengths of Jones’ game is his receiving. He adjusts to the ball in the air with the skill of a wide receiver. He tracks the ball over his shoulder on the run and can turn and face the quarterback at the end of a vertical route to win the ball over coverage with a
leaping effort.

• Like 2

thx for the mentions Vegas-dude

Couple of random Packer notes:

The Packers are 10-1 all-time vs. the Chargers, a .909 winning percentage that is tops by Green Bay versus any team.
Dating back to 1990, the Packers are 11-3 during the regular season in the state of California (vs. Chargers, 49ers, Raiders, Rams).
Green Bay is 16-3 against AFC West teams since 2002, an .842 winning percentage that ranks No. 1 in the NFL over that span.
The Packers are currently 3-0 vs AFC West, having beaten the Raiders, Chiefs and Broncos by a combined score of 100 - 64

More from The Dope Sheet

The Packers (3-0) are one of six teams to be undefeated on the road this season.
Green Bay won its first 3 road games for the first time since since starting 7-0 on the road in 2011.

The Packers have a plus-24 point differential on the road this season, No. 1 among teams who have played three road games or less

One of the more bizarre contests in Packers history was played in San Diego on Sept. 14, 1978. With a temperature of 102 degrees at kickoff (tied for the highest in Packers history), the teams combined for 18 sacks, including 10 by the Chargers. The Packers also created 11 turnovers - five interceptions (four by Willie Buchanon to tie a league record) and six fumble recoveries - in a 24 - 3 Green Bay victory.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197809240sdg.htm

Just an observation, CA's got a lot of fires going right now, including a few in the LA area. None particularly close to the stadium in Carson, and to he best of my knowledge that part of LA county isn't particularly fire prone (by LA standards at least), but I'd keep an eye on air conditions down there. AQI is currently moderate, but it wouldn't surprise me to see talk of moving the venue if smoke conditions deteriorated.

4 hours ago, Norm said:

Jones? I mean Starks caught like a million passes one year in college. Jones isn't a stone handed loser. He's just not at all up there with Kamara. Even minus that one TD drop, it just doesn't look super comfortable to him from my POV just yet 

I’ve posted this before but here’s Matt Waldman gushing about Jones’ receiving:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

One of the more bizarre contests in Packers history was played in San Diego on Sept. 14, 1978. With a temperature of 102 degrees at kickoff (tied for the highest in Packers history), the teams combined for 18 sacks, including 10 by the Chargers. The Packers also created 11 turnovers - five interceptions (four by Willie Buchanon to tie a league record) and six fumble recoveries - in a 24 - 3 Green Bay victory.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197809240sdg.htm

Four picks by San Diego County native, SDSU alum, and future SD Charger Willie Buchanon.

He was a nice player for the Pack during some lean years.