Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

There are positions in sports where analytics can paint a picture that sometimes the eyes don't see. Kicker isn't one of them ha. You are good or you aren't, you can put the ball between the uprights 85+% of the time or you can't.

I think that was the point of the graph.  He is showing, yet again, that Mason is a career 75% kicker.

Not sure all of the colors are needed for that though.

Edit:  Crosby is a career 80% kicker- the 75% was college.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

1 minute ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I think that was the point of the graph.  He is showing, yet again, that Mason is a career 75% kicker.

Not sure all of the colors are needed for that though.

Mason isn't even on the graph. Guess he's the worst kicker in the NFL, along with the guy in Philly who is an 86% career kicker and 83% on 40 yards +. He sucks cause he missed 3 30-39 yarders in 2017. Good company I guess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

I feel like someone found some numbers that worked with with the point they were trying to make and made a graph of them as to seem more professional 

It is an interesting graph, but the numbers get skewed a bit.

In Blair Walsh's first year in the league, he was 10 for 10 from 50 yds plus.  His second year he was pretty consistent and was like 2 for 2 form 50 plus.  By going 12 for 12 from 50 plus in his first 2 years, it masks the bad years that followed before he got kicked to the curb, no pun intended.

Robbie Gould was consistent throughout his career.  

The chart fails to differentiate those issues, which I believe is Packer Raymond's point.  

It is an interesting concept, but I am not sure it sheds much light on the situation.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Mason isn't even on the graph. Guess he's the worst kicker in the NFL, along with the guy in Philly who is an 86% career kicker and 83% on 40 yards +. He sucks cause he missed 3 30-39 yarders in 2017. Good company I guess.

My guess is the graph only shows positive FG+, implying that anyone not shown is negative. Again, I think the problem is that it’s not normalized per kick so volume will affect results. I do think that The idea behind it is valuable though. If you’re just going off make %, that’s going to get thrown off if you have a coach who always wants to punt outside of the 33 vs one who’s willing to trot out the kick team to attempt 60-yarders. 

2 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

My guess is the graph only shows positive FG+, implying that anyone not shown is negative. Again, I think the problem is that it’s not normalized per kick so volume will affect results. I do think that The idea behind it is valuable though. If you’re just going off make %, that’s going to get thrown off if you have a coach who always wants to punt outside of the 33 vs one who’s willing to trot out the kick team to attempt 60-yarders. 

True, but it also gets skewed if the coach is aggressive and has the kicker attempting long kicks in swirling wind, rain, or cold.

the only "point" of the chart is to show just how good the baltimore kicker is.  The context of the chart is simply the kickers in the given time period 2009-2017.

19 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

It would be interesting to see an analysis of missed kicks affect on game outcome or by game situation.

A missed field goal in a double digit win or loss really doesn't mean much.  Missed kick in a 1 score game is much more significant.

sure.  but making/missing kicks is a fairly independent event relative to the situation and score.  The kicker isn't in control of when he gets a chance.  He just gets a chance when the offense presents it.

27 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Volume is a factor yes, but it's not a big factor though.  Ignoring volume for efficiency in this case is probably the wrong thing to do.  Yes Blair Walsh is bad now, but the fact is that he had enough volume and made enough huge kicks, to be one of the top kickers of the decade.  That's what's shown on the chart.

35 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Elliott isn't higher because he wasn't playing for most of this time period.  I think he started in 2017?  And yes, he does lose points because he's 17/21 on FGs 30-39.

There's plenty of others not on the graph too, just not many of Mason's contemporaries.