Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

9 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Vikings in first with 11, 4 way tie for second with 10.

Tight race! I suspect it will tighten up even more in a week or two.s 

If Packers and Vikings tie at 12-4 and Green Bay beats Chicago and Detroit in doing so, Green Bay wins the division by having a better in division record.  This means Minn has to lose 1 game yet this year for the  tie.  Take care of business!!

Doesn't surprise me. Half of that is poor play calling. There's no reason we shouldn't be focusing almost solely on punt coverage while kicking the ball through the end zone every time we kick off(excluding obvious on-side kicks). We haven't had a punt or kick blocked that I can recall so we're really just talking about PR/KR, right? We all know our returns are $#!^ so that's an obvious fix in the offseason.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Doesn't surprise me. Half of that is poor play calling. There's no reason we shouldn't be focusing almost solely on punt coverage while kicking the ball through the end zone every time we kick off(excluding obvious on-side kicks). We haven't had a punt or kick blocked that I can recall so we're really just talking about PR/KR, right? We all know our returns are $#!^ so that's an obvious fix in the offseason.

does it really take an offseason to fix KR/PR? thats an honest question.

36 minutes ago, gopackgo247 said:

does it really take an offseason to fix KR/PR? thats an honest question.

I meant finding a new returner. Should've been clearer on that, my bad.

18 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Offseasons, plural.  And several of them apparently.  It's just not a GB thingy.  In the same realm of importance as ILB.

I think you address it with MLF during post-season evaluations and press him and/or Menenga to figure it out. Again, I think much of it is strategy more than execution. We have a defense that can make a stop so we can afford to kick nothing but touchbacks on kickoffs, we have an elite punter(at least IMHO) so that part of it is working on punt coverage and the personnel responsible for executing that part of the gameplan.

Edited by Joe

I don't think the correlation between having strong KR or PR to team offensive scoring is that significant to get worried about that component.  Biggest thing for those units is not turn the ball over and lose yardage on holding/blocks from behind penalties.

Punt and kick return is a bigger concern IMO.  

Kick offs should be touchbacks and go from there.

Punts with Scott, his ability to provide solid hangtime and directional kick should limit returns as well.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joe said:

I meant finding a new returner. Should've been clearer on that, my bad.

I think you address it with MLF during post-season evaluations and press him and/or Menenga to figure it out. Again, I think much of it is strategy more than execution. We have a defense that can make a stop so we can afford to kick nothing but touchbacks on kickoffs, we have an elite punter(at least IMHO) so that part of it is working on punt coverage and the personnel responsible for executing that part of the gameplan.

I'm thinking it isn't easy to kick touchbacks when the ball is dense, hard from the cold, cold, temperatures likely to be found at Lambeau. However, for the remainder of this regular season, that shouldn't be a game-changer against Washington and the only other home game left besides that, is the Bears. Playoffs are another thing entirely, that's an unknown except for knowing it will be against a decent team and it may or may not be at Lambeau.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

22 hours ago, coachbuns said:

If Packers and Vikings tie at 12-4 and Green Bay beats Chicago and Detroit in doing so, Green Bay wins the division by having a better in division record.  This means Minn has to lose 1 game yet this year for the  tie.  Take care of business!!

No, they'll all be 16 in a 4-way tie.