Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No, the overthrows are on him.

Might be the most telling and misguided post I've ever seen you make here. Every overthrow is not always on the QB. A lot happens while that ball is traveling in the air. The WR can do a lot wrong in that span. No logical person here is saying Rodgers is playing perfect. Yet here you are blaming all overthrows on him.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and chalk it up to differing definitions of an overthrow. By it's literal definition, it's a ball thrown too far by the QB. But once the ball is out of the QB's hand, he no longer has any control over the result. The throw may be perfect and the WR makes misjudgements, missteps, mis-leaps, false steps, initiates contact which slows him down, etc. If the result is a ball beyond the receiver it's called an overthrow. But that does not automatically mean the "overthrow" is the fault of the QB.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We're in the playoffs and we just had to rely on a game winning kick in week 17 against the 3-12-1 Lions because our QB just broke the NFL record for overthrows in a game. This is a fairly significant point of conversation. 

Understood and I'm not saying the topic should be off limits at all, but by this stage of the season and following reams of (similar) comments and thoughts over the weeks.....surely these same "discussions" can be contained to a single thread no? It seems multiple threads are devolving into the same "circle the drain" pattern that reaches no conclusion or end point.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Understood and I'm not saying the topic should be off limits at all, but by this stage of the season and following reams of (similar) comments and thoughts over the weeks.....surely these same "discussions" can be contained to a single thread no? It seems multiple threads are devolving into the same "circle the drain" pattern that reaches no conclusion or end point.

So what you're saying is that this is a typical NFL fan message board?

Edited by Mazrimiv

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

What else is there to talk about? We're all in agreement that the defense is killing it recently. Is it going to hold up against better teams. God only knows. 

Anybody want to talk about how Matt LaFleur's offense scored the exact same number of points as McCarthy's offense did last year even though it had way better health, had improvements at multiple positions from a talent level standpoint, and got way more out of its defense and kicker?

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What else is there to talk about? We're all in agreement that the defense is killing it recently. Is it going to hold up against better teams. God only knows. 

Anybody want to talk about how Matt LaFleur's offense scored the exact same number of points as McCarthy's offense did last year even though it had way better health, had improvements at multiple positions from a talent level standpoint, and got way more out of its defense and kicker?

I'm actually encouraged by what the MLF offense should look like if Rodgers can get some of his accuracy back.  Leaving everything else equal, if Rodgers hits half of his missed throws this season, the offense probably looks pretty darn good.

• Like 1

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Anybody want to talk about how Matt LaFleur's offense scored the exact same number of points as McCarthy's offense did last year even though it had way better health, and got way more out of its defense and kicker?

Understood and dont take this wrong....but doesnt it *eventually* reach an overkill level?

I mean - its not a topic on which unanimous agreement will ever be reached - no?. There's all sorts of variables and all kinds of (subjective and objective) ways to view them. So after *weeks* of dissecting the same topics - from this angle - that angle - and that one too - why continue to beat the same drum?

Again - not a criticism - but..........

In my own case, I realize that eventually I've expressed about all I can on a topic and stop commenting. What's left to do other than repeating myself? So I read along...and wind up reading the same things over and over again.

Not a big deal. Was just wondering why multiple threads devolve into an AR discussion. No hassle. I just need to read less.

I think things devolve into AR discussions because he is the biggest wildcard when it comes to the ceiling of this team.  The team went 13-3 (hah!) with Rodgers having one of his roughest seasons.  If he can pull out some of his old magic over the next few weeks, anything is possible in the playoffs.

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

I think things devolve into AR discussions because he is the biggest wildcard when it comes to the ceiling of this team.  If he can pull out some of his old magic over the next few weeks, anything is possible in the playoffs.

Agree....but with regard to this aspect - the discussion should center around future opponents  -  which would actually be an interestind discussion. How AR and our passing game matches up against XYZ teams defense, secondary or personnel. 

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The team went 13-3 (hah!) with Rodgers having one of his roughest seasons. 

As for this, I'm happy I quickly recognized and understood your intent and meaning. It's the dead frog test and I passed with flying colors!
Now you too will understand when next I type 13+3. Human development and intelligence has reached a higher plane :)

• Like 1

just looking through Rodgers splits this year, both quarters in the second half his performance is the same and close to his overall performance, but his first quarter performance is great (71% comp, 123.5 PR. 9.1 Y/A), while his numbers suck 2nd quarter (55% comp, 77.2 PR, 5.7 Y/A). Found that interesting.

Rodgers QB Rating is 3.8 points better than you would expect simply going off of the average defenses we've played against.

That is massively boosted by a +54.5 game against the Raiders and a +48.2 game against the Chiefs. His next best game after that was a +24 performance against the Giants.

His worst performance was a -27.6 game against the Lions. His second worst game was a -17.8 game against the Vikings. His third worst performance was a -11.2 game against the Chargers.

+++

Including all 16 = +3.8

Removing the highest and the lowest = +2.4

If we say we're expecting him to do 3.4 points better than average that means we would expect him to have a passer rating of 92.1 against the Saints and 86.8 against the 49ers.

Not great. 

54 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Again some overthrows are on Rodgers, some aren't. How could anyone assign all blame to Rodgers and expect to be taken seriously here?

This is the correct take.  They were off no doubt but it's not all on Aaron.  He had some poor throws for sure.  Hope they work on it over the bye and get their timing down.  WR's and QB haven't been on the same page it's pretty clear.  It's a new offense and there is a learning curve involved.  Was hoping by now they would be humming.  Not quite there yet.  Offense will have to be at it's best in the playoffs.  Ugly won't cut it when playing against top teams.

Edited by Scoremore
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm actually encouraged by what the MLF offense should look like if Rodgers can get some of his accuracy back.  Leaving everything else equal, if Rodgers hits half of his missed throws this season, the offense probably looks pretty darn good.

If Rodgers hits half of his missed throws last season that offense looked pretty darn good.