Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

19 minutes ago, cannondale said:

No one has said that. If you have to take it to the extreme to make a point, it's probably not a good one. 

I was just trying to mirror your extreme comment to my extreme.

Talent is def way worse. But Rodgers isn't as good anymore either. Both are true.

3 minutes ago, snackattack said:

Or same way as jordy nelson backing up cooked donald driver? You keep cherry picking those things that support your narrative my man!

That's a good point ... Driver was the elder statesman and McCarthy was still playing him ahead of Nelson in the rotation for whatever reasons.  Nelson had a good 3rd season though .. 64 targets 582 yds and 70.3% catch rate.  Season four is where Nelson finally got his prper amount of targets and took off.  He actually took off in the super bowl .. despite a couple drops.

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I'd still love to have the guy on our team this yeas as ILB 2, EDGE 3/4

I'm not opposed to it at all .. if he's willing to do some stuff at Inside Backer he could be a very versatile piece.  As an OLB I bet the packers would be nervous that Matthews would take snaps from Gary.

23 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How does a receiver on track for 48/85 951 yards and 5 TDs through week 7 end up with 17 targets through the next 9 weeks?

At least part of the answer is we have a psychotic QB.

Who wants guys to run correct routes and actually catch the ball ?? Is that the psychotic you're talking about ? How many throws are made before the receiver even makes his last break ? How many adjustments are made on option routes. This is like using still photos to criticize Rodgers. And it's grown into a caricature of itself

39 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How does a receiver on track for 48/85 951 yards and 5 TDs through week 7 end up with 17 targets through the next 9 weeks?

At least part of the answer is we have a psychotic QB.

Extremely streaky player though who is basically "big play" or "nadda." Those first 7 weeks: 

Bears: 4 for 52 (47 on one play); 3 for 5 otherwise

Minn: 3 for 19 

Den (best game overall): 6 for 99 (40 on one play - but solid game)

PHI: 3 for 47 (26 on one play - k not bad)

Dal: 1 for 18

Det: 2 for 48 (46 on one play) 

Oakland: 2 for 133 (recs for 74 and 59) 

MVS is the very definition of his stats. He's a guy that once or twice a game you take a shot down the field, but he's going to be largely useless in the 0-20 yard range. If he would not have dropped that deep pass in Week 15 against the Bears, he would have had 1 rec for 60 yards instead of 0 for 0. IMO, that's his role and it'll probably be his role with this team moving forward as we continue to upgrade the position. 

Edited by packfanfb

I've recently fallen into the deep youtube hole of Packer game highlights from 2012ish. The only assumption I'm gonna make is that's a quarterback throwing with all the confidence in the world. You're not going to try to zing the ball passed the earhole of a defender unless you have confidence in your guys. And separation. Well, take a look for yourself. Guys are running open. There's a novel concept. When is the last time that's happened ? No disputes of Rodgers needing to be better at 50/50 balls back then. NIGHT AND DAY. Don't believe me, look for yourself.

Fast forward to the season Nelson and Cobb got injured and things stall significantly. Coincidence ? Rodgers suddenly sucks ? I think not. Only a moron would think otherwise.  And ........ wait for it ........ things get back to normal upon their return. Miracle or common sense ? Funny how that works. Has Rodgers gotten older ? Who here hasn't ? Has he had multiple injuries since then ? Yes. Has the talent dropped off. No doubt in my mind

Edited by cannondale

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Top 3rd is perfectly fair.

Watson doesn't even belong in the top tier with those two, though Jackson arguably does. QBs 3-14 right now are just about impossible to rank. Rodgers is in that mess somewhere.

Yah, I've long had a crush on Watson.  Probably put him higher than he should be.

And I forgot Brees....along with Jackson.

I think the point is, though, Rogers is no longer a clear advantage for us.  He'll give you a few amazing throws, but then he will have more than that with brain dead moments.

I really hope that improves, but it just doesn't seem like it will.  

29 minutes ago, packfanfb said:
I'd still love to have the guy on our team this year as ILB 2, EDGE 3/4

27 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm not opposed to it at all .. if he's willing to do some stuff at Inside Backer he could be a very versatile piece.  As an OLB I bet the packers would be nervous that Matthews would take snaps from Gary.

26 minutes ago, snackattack said:

Would love to have clay if we can get him cheap. He has value as a situational rusher

I give my blessing as well :)

5 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I've recently fallen into the deep youtube hole of Packer game highlights from 2012ish. The only assumption I'm gonna make is that's a quarterback throwing with all the confidence in the world. You're not going to try to zing the ball passed the earhole of a defender unless you have confidence in your guys. And separation. Well, take a look for yourself. Guys are running open. There's a novel concept. No disputes of Rodgers needing to be better at 50/50 balls back then. NIGHT AND DAY. Don't believe me, look for yourself

Heck yah!  Confidence.  In himself and his receivers.  I'd argue he was very hungry, too.  Super competitive out there.  We haven't seen that kind of fire in a while.

I think he's still got it in him to be great, but I just don't think he wants it now like he wanted it then.

Favre kind of went through that, too.  But he would just chuck it up there anyway.  Rodgers doesn't.  #4 came around nicely when we got him Jennings to go with Driver.  I really hope it happens that way when we land a good WR in this draft to pair with 'Vante.  

There are lot of "ifs" in this next part, but IF we draft a studly WR and IF ESB or MVS take the progression leap and IF Funchess balls out, we could see a new Rodgers for the next 2-3 years.  Let's hope it goes down that way.

38 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'd still love to have the guy on our team this year as ILB 2, EDGE 3/4

Love this.  It’s almost like he’s asking the Packers to bring him back.  Love how he added that he played ILB.  I feel like that’s him telling teams he’ll do what he has to do to be on a team, and I’d love it if that’s with us.