Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Running only matters significantly in rare situations. This offense running more isn't going to make it more efficient. 

You do realize that's probably the plan ? Run more, fewer WR's and more TE's. At leas that's what I get when I connect the dots

General Manager Brian Gutekunst shrugged at any negative reaction to the selections and said they fit the offense head coach Matt LaFleur wants to build this season.

“I think he’s talked to you guys repeatedly about how much he’d like to run the ball and have the pass work off of that,” Gutekunst said, via Matt Schneidman of TheAthletic.com. “I think as we went through, we wanted to have some versatile pieces. Obviously AJ’s a big, bruising back with very, very good speed . . . Josiah, just the versatility, whether it’s a lead blocker, his ability to create mismatches in the passing game. Matt really wants to tie everything to the run game and off the run game, and these guys will help us do that.”

Edited by cannondale

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The Chiefs were 27th in rushing attempts?

Chiefs usually averaged 23.8 rushes per game, whoch is very low. They bumped it up the last 2 games. And its the Chiefs with Mahomes. Throw that team out and focus on Ten or SF

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cannondale said:

You do realize that's probably the plan ? Run more, fewer WR's and more TE's. At leas that's what I get when I connect the dots

General Manager Brian Gutekunst shrugged at any negative reaction to the selections and said they fit the offense head coach Matt LaFleur wants to build this season.

“I think he’s talked to you guys repeatedly about how much he’d like to run the ball and have the pass work off of that,” Gutekunst said, via Matt Schneidman of TheAthletic.com. “I think as we went through, we wanted to have some versatile pieces. Obviously AJ’s a big, bruising back with very, very good speed . . . Josiah, just the versatility, whether it’s a lead blocker, his ability to create mismatches in the passing game. Matt really wants to tie everything to the run game and off the run game, and these guys will help us do that.”

Of course I realize that's the plan. I've been saying that's the plan since the day LaFleur was hired.

I've also been saying that it's a stupid plan.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The Chiefs were 27th in rushing attempts?

And then they turned into a running football team in the playoffs.  Chiefs are the lone exception.  Niners and Titans were top five.  They went far in the playoffs.  Once you get to December, you have to be able to run the football frequently and well if you want to win a Super Bowl.  That will never change.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Of course I realize that's the plan. I've been saying that's the plan since the day LaFleur was hired.

I've also been saying that it's a stupid plan.

As do I. That's a tough way to make a living and our defense is miles away from complimenting that type of offense. Oh, and ugly as hell. I'm also gonna guess that  MLF has been tearing out some of the spread pages out of the playbook that Rodgers liked

Edited by cannondale

Bill Huber / SI - The receiver position was one of the big themes entering this year’s draft because of the depth of the class and Green Bay’s problems stringing together strong offensive performances, especially against top defenses. General manager Brian Gutekunst’s inability to get one of the top receivers in this year’s draft, therefore, was an equally big story line.

This year’s draft supplied six first-round receivers, seven second-round receivers and three third-round receivers. At every turn, however, Gutekunst’s options were erased. When Minnesota selected LSU’s Justin Jefferson at No. 22 and San Francisco traded up to get Arizona State’s Brandon Aiyuk at No. 25, Gutekunst looked at his board and saw only one player he liked – quarterback Jordan Love – and traded up to No. 26 to get him.

In the second round, the Rams took Florida’s Van Jefferson at No. 57 and the Jets took Baylor’s Denzel Mims at No. 59. Having given up a fourth-rounder in the Love trade, Gutekunst had nothing in his holster to be aggressive. Instead, he took Boston College running back A.J. Dillon. In the third round, Baltimore took Texas slot Devin Duvernay at No. 92. So, Gutekunst took tight end Josiah Deguara.

In the first round, Gutekunst bypassed Clemson’s Tee Higgins, who went No. 33 to Cincinnati, USC’s Michael Pittman, who went No. 34 to Indianapolis, and Colorado’s Laviska Shenault, who went No. 42 to Jacksonville. Higgins and Pittman would have helped, to be sure, but they are perimeter receivers. Led by Davante Adams, Allen Lazard and Devin Funchess, the Packers have plenty of perimeter receivers. What they needed was the slot skill-set possessed by Jefferson, Aiyuk and Shenault; Shenault’s injury history is why he sank into the middle of the second round.

Gutekunst wasn’t the only general manager to see a drop-off in the talent after Mims went in the second. There was a 21-pick gap between Mims and Kentucky’s Lynn Bowden, who went in the middle round to Las Vegas at No. 80. Even more pronounced, there was a 36-pick gap between Duvernay and Central Florida’s Gabriel Davis, who went to Buffalo late in the fourth round at No. 128.

At that point, Gutekunst was done. He’s got a lot of decent receivers. What would be the point of adding another decent receiver? From this vantage point, and it was the right perspective, it was home run or bust at that position

If there’s a reason to be critical, it’s that Gutekunst didn’t act more proactively to get a receiver in the first round – assuming he actually preferred a receiver to a quarterback.

• Like 3