Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Acme Packing - Over the Cap projects the Packers to be in line for three compensatory draft picks in 2021: a fourth-rounder for losing Blake Martinez, a fifth for Bryan Bulaga, and a sixth for Kyler Fackrell.

/////

How are compensatory picks determined? Why is Martinez a fourth and Bulaga a fifth when both were starters?

Andy Herman -   The biggest remaining question this offseason is still this. What have they done to stop teams from running the ball with such success?

In Green Bay’s 4 losses, the defense allowed: 120 carries - 721 yards - 10 TDs - 6.01 yards per carry (not including QB rushing/kneel downs). That’s a per game average of: 30 carries - 180 yards - 2.5 tds

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Acme Packing - Over the Cap projects the Packers to be in line for three compensatory draft picks in 2021: a fourth-rounder for losing Blake Martinez, a fifth for Bryan Bulaga, and a sixth for Kyler Fackrell.

/////

How are compensatory picks determined? Why is Martinez a fourth and Bulaga a fifth when both were starters?

It's about the AAV of the contract they signed.

• Like 1

/////

Packers cant get more than a 5th for Bulaga because hes played more than 10 seasons.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spilltray said:

Ok but Jennings and Nelson were both high seconds coming from trading out of the first, Adams and Cobb 2nds, and Jones and Finley were 3rds. Offensive "skill positions" are worth investment, but moreso as position groups than individual players.

Still doesn't change the point being stated ...  2nd and 3rd picks still different than #1's.   

Andy Herman -   The biggest remaining question this offseason is still this. What have they done to stop teams from running the ball with such success?

In Green Bay’s 4 losses, the defense allowed: 120 carries - 721 yards - 10 TDs - 6.01 yards per carry (not including QB rushing/kneel downs). That’s a per game average of: 30 carries - 180 yards - 2.5 tds

We've done literally nothing in that regard. This is 50x the problem to me versus the WR room and the reason if my heart wasn't involved and only my head, I would not consider us true SB contenders in 2020. Only hope we can change for are internal improvements from players and Pettine. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

What I hate about that is it equates draft number to talent.  The talent Rodgers has had over his career has been as good as or better than the talent Brady has had most years on average with the exception of Brady having Moss and Welker.

Obviously Brady had the better tight ends, but as far as receiver, the talent Rodgers has had had not been far from the talent Brady and Brees have had over their careers.

If you want to prop Rodgers up, use the fact that Brady has never had worse than the 17th scoring defense.  Rodgers has had above 17th... Three times?

And Peyton... Peyton was absolutely spoiled with talent.  Wayne, Harrison, Thomas, Clark, James, Faulk and those are just the ones off the top of my head.  What does it tell you that all those first round receivers and tight ends and running backs he’s had and the Colts won exactly one Super Bowl with the best QB ever?

LOL ... Why hate any of it?  Just shows the lack of #1 picks Rodgers had to throw to.  It was a good post to show everybody the fact; nothing else.  

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We've done literally nothing in that regard. This is 50x the problem to me versus the WR room and the reason if my heart wasn't involved and only my head, I would not consider us true SB contenders in 2020. Only hope we can change for are internal improvements from players and Pettine. 

I've tried telling everyone, and I still hope I'm wrong because it's only May (almost) so there's still time, but I have felt all off-season that IDL was going to be Gute's "I'm going to do nothing because I'm the only person in America who thinks we're okay" position. He did the same thing with safety in 2018 and WR in 2019. I don't get it....at all. 

21 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Still doesn't change the point being stated ...  2nd and 3rd picks still different than #1's.   

It's a silly, arbitrary line. Even if all your first round picks play and start 10 years you will have more than half your 22 wouldn't be 1st round picks. Then there is the fact that those positions have low value in the first. Philosophically, that is the correct way to do it. You need more wr/rb/te than other premium positions so quantity of 2nds and 3rds is just smarter. Not spending firsts on RB/WR, as a general rule, is the smart move.

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

What I hate about that is it equates draft number to talent.  The talent Rodgers has had over his career has been as good as or better than the talent Brady has had most years on average with the exception of Brady having Moss and Welker.

Obviously Brady had the better tight ends, but as far as receiver, the talent Rodgers has had had not been far from the talent Brady and Brees have had over their careers.

If you want to prop Rodgers up, use the fact that Brady has never had worse than the 17th scoring defense.  Rodgers has had above 17th... Three times?

And Peyton... Peyton was absolutely spoiled with talent.  Wayne, Harrison, Thomas, Clark, James, Faulk and those are just the ones off the top of my head.  What does it tell you that all those first round receivers and tight ends and running backs he’s had and the Colts won exactly one Super Bowl with the best QB ever?

Exactly. That’s like saying Rodgers has never had a good LT because Bakhtiari was a 4th-rounder. 

44 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It will be addressed. Gute wants your heart to be in it :)

Peter King spoke with Gute .. apparently he had two receivers he was targeting in round two, but couldn't find a trade partner.  After those two were off the board he valued some other players over WR's .. wound up settling on AJ Dillon.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/27/2020-nfl-draft-humanity-pandemic-bucs-fmia-peter-king/

Edited by {Family Ghost}

Might be a silly question but does Daniels have the capability to reinvent his game and turn himself into a run stopping nose tackle? He's a big little dude with excellent hand fighting techniques and we all know he has no problems getting leverage. He's a proven NFL defensive lineman.

I say nose tackle because it may the only position Pettine would be willing to sacrifice some height in. The defensive end (Daniels normal position) has to be tall and long. As a run stopper he would only be on the field for a limited number of plays and that in turn would help lower the risk of him getting injured.