Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Tramon easy. #3 corner without him is Sulivan/Hollmon/Jackson. Although I have hope someone might develop, that is really worrisome.

I don't see a ton of value in adding Snacks. He's a NT that doesn't add any pass rush ability. We have that in Lancaster already and he's cheap (and graded higher last year). Do we just want to have an occasion 3 plug DT package for 1 team (SF) like back in 2010 (Raji, Howard, Pickett)

Well if stopping the run is whats keeping you up at night, we're not looking for pass rush ability are we?
Others are designated that task.

Just now, Leader said:

Well if stopping the run is whats keeping you up at night, we're not looking for pass rush ability are we?
Others are designated that task.

How much of our failure though against the ground was our DL and how much of it was scheme? The SF games left a lot of bad taste in people mouths. However, the Smiths ran out of so many plays. That was an alignment issue. Not a personnel.

We also played a ton of nickle throughout the year in situations where we really didn't have to. That was a philosophical issue, not a personnel issue. It was decided we'd rather have the opponent pop a run every once in awhile vs being exposed on the back end.

Considering we are only going to play SF max twice, and our defensive philosophy was successful pretty much the rest of the year, the argument that the corner right now is more valuable than the DL for us is easy.

2 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

How much of our failure though against the ground was our DL and how much of it was scheme?

Dont know/cant say - you may have noted its a fairly common comment of mine......
I leave such things up to the GM and coaching staff.

We're talking personnel here (or now) and along those lines..............a DL would come in handy.

Just now, Leader said:

Dont know/cant say - you may have noted its a fairly common comment of mine......
I leave such things up to the GM and coaching staff.

We're talking personnel here (or now) and along those lines..............a DL would come in handy.

I agree a DL would be nice. I'd just take the corner right now considering our roster every time (except against SF)

47 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I mean, IDL is the much bigger need when you look at our roster. I'd choose Daniels over Tramon right now if it was one or the other. 

Lol agreed actually. I kind of forgot all about Tramon. Harrison could certainly be a decent pick up. Zero issues with it

Just now, pacman5252 said:

I agree a DL would be nice. I'd just take the corner right now considering our roster every time (except against SF)

I heard (or read) somewhere Tampa may be sniffing around Tramon.
Given what appears to be "dead in the water" negotiation status between GB and #38 - I wouldnt be surprised if he latches on elsewhere. 

Somebody's gonna have to give the medicals a thorough going over before I'd want Daniels back.
His last two years have been dominated by injury related time on the bench.
Harrison doesnt appear to have the injury issues....he just talks like a guy thats done....or wants it to be done.

45 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I pick the guy that can stay on the field and make a difference. To me, that would be our 3rd best CB from last year.

Who plays CB#3 if Tramon isn't re-signed ?  Yea

Sullivan or Jackson. Either one is already better than our starting 3T. Adams, Lancaster and Keke ideally should be fighting for about 1 roster spot, let alone 2, let alone be the 3 guys you're comfortable with. 

16 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'm genuinely shocked we are even debating this. Ideally, you want Tramon and another IDL, but if you had to choose between the two, I'm genuinely shocked it would take anyone more than .1 seconds to say IDL. 

But I think it’s what pacman stated. If we base it off the scheme... Pettine values DBs more. The value is in the secondary and the overall scheme doesn’t go if that doesn’t.

GB only struggled with one team really, SF. Yes they might of given up rush yards to others but they had success overall... against most teams. Heck they beat the super bowl champ in their building (I know I know... no Mahomes etc).

I guess it depends on what comes of the scheme this offseason... if Lafleur told Pettine they need to be more sound and that changes the importance of positions then maybe IDL will be address here soon enough.

12 minutes ago, Green19 said:

But I think it’s what pacman stated. If we base it off the scheme... Pettine values DBs more. The value is in the secondary and the overall scheme doesn’t go if that doesn’t.

GB only struggled with one team really, SF. Yes they might of given up rush yards to others but they had success overall... against most teams. Heck they beat the super bowl champ in their building (I know I know... no Mahomes etc).

I guess it depends on what comes of the scheme this offseason... if Lafleur told Pettine they need to be more sound and that changes the importance of positions then maybe IDL will be address here soon enough.

I still think we need a true run stuffer, but recently LaFleur sounded like he thought the issues were scheme related and they should have been better prepared to stop the run .. the problem is that I'm not sure they have the horses to ever stop San Fran's run game.

26 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I still think we need a true run stuffer, but recently LaFleur sounded like he thought the issues were scheme related and they should have been better prepared to stop the run .. the problem is that I'm not sure they have the horses to ever stop San Fran's run game.

My problem is I hope GB management isn’t obsessed with catching the 49ers... as the fans are.

Fact is Chiefs, Cardinals, Saints are all built differently to the 49ers and either beat them or had success against them.

There is more than one way to deal with them. Maybe that’s why they want to run the ball more/better. So the 49ers have to get out of running themselves and force Jimmy G to throw and be terrible.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I'm genuinely shocked we are even debating this. Ideally, you want Tramon and another IDL, but if you had to choose between the two, I'm genuinely shocked it would take anyone more than .1 seconds to say IDL. 

That's because you are thinking a starter can be added on the DL. Not gonna happen. Tramon is starter quality. Not only to insure against King getting injured but your third CB is on the field a ton. A scrub DL off  the scrap heap who will share snaps with Adams and Keke doesn't come anywhere near that value. Even if you want to disregard a lot of that, your #3CB is not someplace you want to guess on.

Edited by cannondale

4 hours ago, spilltray said:

It's a silly, arbitrary line. Even if all your first round picks play and start 10 years you will have more than half your 22 wouldn't be 1st round picks. Then there is the fact that those positions have low value in the first. Philosophically, that is the correct way to do it. You need more wr/rb/te than other premium positions so quantity of 2nds and 3rds is just smarter. Not spending firsts on RB/WR, as a general rule, is the smart move.

Not disputing any of that.  Just a statement that the info provided in the post was interesting.  Argue all you want with somebody on this that cares. 

14 minutes ago, Green19 said:

My problem is I hope GB management isn’t obsessed with catching the 49ers... as the fans are.

Fact is Chiefs, Cardinals, Saints are all built differently to the 49ers and either beat them or had success against them.

There is more than one way to deal with them. Maybe that’s why they want to run the ball more/better. So the 49ers have to get out of running themselves and force Jimmy G to throw and be terrible.

I get your overall point, but I don't know what the harm is in adding to our line depth, and also having the horses to play with all the teams. I'm not obsessed with San Fran, but if we don't add a run stuffing IDL I am going to feel about as confident as I did going into the NFC championship game.