Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Toddfather said:

In fairness we have let the position suffer as of late. That being said he has had some damn good targets over the years. I really hope MVS comes out swinging, and Funchess has a solid year. I think if that works out some people in the media will be eating crow.. I do believe this year is once again more of a philosophy change to our offense than it was just ignorance.

The media never eats crow. They double and triple down until no one remembers what happened.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smetana34 said:

ESPN posted a graphic today. Rodgers has only thrown one touchdown pass to a 1st round pick in his life. Its an attempt to show how dirty we've treated him. Prepare yourselves for the stupid that will come from that. 

I mean, Favre only ever had 3 first round targets to throw passes to: Sterling Sharpe (who predated Favre), Bubba Franks (meh), and Javon Walker.  What has historically lead to the Packers not taking WRs high is that they've had a good track record with 2nd and 3rd round guys (Robert Brooks, Antonio Ferguson for e.g.)  I would trust that the guys the Packers were trying to move up for in the 2nd were probably guys who would make it in the NFL, but that they didn't like the leavings after the first six went or after the next 7 is something I would also trust them on.

But lest we forget the "FARVE NEEDS WEPUNZ" era, don't forget that the initial reason people were so mad about the Justin Harrell draft had nothing to do with the prospect, but that they had laser focused on Robert Meachem and Dwayne Bowe going into that draft.

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

But lest we forget the "FARVE NEEDS WEPUNZ" era, don't forget that the initial reason people were so mad about the Justin Harrell draft had nothing to do with the prospect, but that they had laser focused on Robert Meachem and Dwayne Bowe going into that draft.

Favre would have just launched inaccurate passess...

somewhere....over Dwayne Bowe

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

You all need to listen to Greg Cosell discussing the Love selection (and the reasoning for it) on the Rich Eisen Show.

Was this today?? And NVM lol

Edited by Norm

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

You all need to listen to Greg Cosell discussing the Love selection (and the reasoning for it) on the Rich Eisen Show.

Hopefully for some of us that the closed captions will automatically become available within a few hours.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Leader said:

I think he's missing the mark in that this is more about money and less about Aaron Rodgers. No coach in the NFL would choose Jimmy Garoppolo over Aaron Rodgers, I don't care how well Garoppolo "runs the offense." The problem isn't Aaron Rodgers. The problem is Aaron Rodgers being 38 years old and having a $40 million cap hit in 2022. That's why Love was picked. 

Moreover, if LaFleur and the Packers were truly looking for a game manager QB like Garoppolo (who Cosell mentioned which is why I keep bringing him up), it would make the Love pick a colossally stupid one. You can get those guys on days 2 and 3 of the draft. They could have drafted Jake Fromm for that. They didn't draft Love to be the game managing QB within LaFleur's system, they drafted him to become the next Aaron Rodgers, i.e. a franchise, top 10 QB. 

Whether you like the pick or don't (and I'm still in the camp of not really liking it and I'll stand by it), the analysis here is pretty simple. Aaron Rodgers is the QB of the Green Bay Packers for 2020 and 2021. Nothing will change that absent injury. I also believe he was never going to be QB here past 2023 (the last year of his contract). That gave you a 3-year window to select the heir apparent, either in the 2020 draft (giving him 2-4 years to sit behind AR), 2021 (giving him 1-3 years to sit behind AR) or 2022 (giving him 0-2 years to sit behind AR). In a perfect world, I would have liked to see us go QB either in 2021 or 2022, I thought this year was too early and frankly, I bet the Packers somewhat felt that way as well, but, the other important variables were there including, (a) who is available now v. (b) who is available in the 2021 or 2022 draft. The Packers obviously liked Love. There may not have been a Love-type QB available for us to get in the 2021 or 2022 draft. So do you pass on the guy you like now because it might be a year too early to draft him? I'm not surprised the Packers answered that question "no." The upside of the situation is that it gives you more flexibility. If the Packers feel Love is ready to play after 2 seasons, I'd virtually guarantee Rodgers is dealt after 2021, meaning he'll QB here for 2 more years. If the Packers are still hesitant on Love and/or Rodgers' play clearly warrants keeping him, you could see the Packers stick with him another season and pay him the $40m. The final option is keeping Rodgers all 4 years and having Love sit those years. Packers fans should not cheer for that option because (1) it means Love hasn't shown enough to play in 4 years and he might be a bust, (2) even if you think he's ready by year 5, you've wasted his entire rookie contract, and (3) you've had to pay out Rodgers' entire contract. 

LaFleur and Gute can say all of the PR rehearsed lines they want about "Aaron Rodgers will be the QB here as long as he wants." That's all BS. This move was made with the intention that if all goes to plan, Love is starting in 2022 and GB saves $22m by dealing Rodgers. 

Edited by packfanfb

I've little doubt that money played into the GB drafting decision.....but this theory fits the bill IMO.
It's what we've all been seeing and talking about for awhile now.

NOW - if AR plays within the system and hits the passes that are there.......its his job IMO....at least until 2022 and depending on how Love progresses. Who knows where the cap will be at in two more years and what ARs % of it will be.

We've all been saying it. We need AR to become more "Brady-like" (not making a comparison here...just drawing an example) and the offense become more rhythm based and quick.

Get the ball out.
Or, as I voice it on the GDTs: "Throw the damn ball!"

Too often a pass should be out - but he pulls it down - shuffles around and its off to the races whats happening.
I think MLF wants the ball OUT of ARs hands on time and in rhythm.

Edited by Leader

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Just like Tennessee was going to fire LaFleur, but luckily we hired him as HC. 

Love McGinn's draft stuff every year, but man he is a bitter old man when it comes to the Packers. 

Him and Florio are just sharing this **** back and forth.