Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

14 minutes ago, Norm said:

Ruvell Martin, come back to me baby <3

My favorite Ruvell play was when Darren The Matador Sharper went for the INT, smashed into his team mate and the ball popped up into the air and Martin snatched it for a TD.

starts at the 33 second mark

41 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

My favorite Ruvell play was when Darren The Matador Sharper went for the INT, smashed into his team mate and the ball popped up into the air and Martin snatched it for a TD.

starts at the 33 second mark

The Viking killer

Just listened to a few minutes of Bleacher Report grading the NFCN teams. Green Bay ?

They gave them an FF (worse than an F). There was nothing much said about the different direction the Packers were headed, compared to what draftniks thought they were going to do, it was all about "They were 13-3 last year, so this is all wrong". I'm sure there are plenty of fans that will agree with them (though for myself, I am curious to see what happens).

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Just listened to a few minutes of Bleacher Report grading the NFCN teams. Green Bay ?

They gave them an FF (worse than an F). There was nothing much said about the different direction the Packers were headed, compared to what draftniks thought they were going to do, it was all about "They were 13-3 last year, so this is all wrong". I'm sure there are plenty of fans that will agree with them (though for myself, I am curious to see what happens).

There are other facets as well that I have pondered lately. I'm sure MLF and Gute are praising Jesus that BPA just happened to be Mariota, Henry, and Walker Love, Dillon, and Deguara the first 3 picks. Two of those non-premium by the way, while Bak (expiring) and Wagner (band-aid) are the OT's. Also the DL was ignored .... again. And then there is CB#3 where everyone is convinced that somebody who couldn't beat out a 37 year old last year can all of the sudden be competent this year. This puts team needs for next year at OT, DL, CB. CB x 2 if King walks. That's a tall order with a full slate of FA's to re-sign and most likely very little cap space. This may work out fine, but if it doesn't then I don't think it unfair to wonder about how this thing is being built.

Edited by cannondale

7 minutes ago, cannondale said:

There are other facets as well that I have pondered lately. I'm sure MLF and Gute are praising Jesus that BPA just happened to be Mariota, Henry, and Walker Love, Dillon, and Deguara the first 3 picks. Two of those non-premium by the way, while Bak (expiring) and Wagner (band-aid) are the OT's. Also the DL was ignored .... again. And then there is CB#3 where everyone is convinced that somebody who couldn't beat out a 37 year old last year can all of the sudden be competent this year. This puts team needs for next year at OT, DL, CB. CB x 2 if King walks. That's a tall order. This may work out fine, but if it doesn't then I don't think it unfair to wonder about how this thing is being built.

Yes, given the unpopularity of the pick choices in total, the Packers need success with these picks to justify their decisions. Despite the several important needs (as most see them) not addressed, they will mitigate any criticism if the picks they did make, pan out.  On the other hand, if the picks prove to be disappointing, the criticism will double down on them.

7 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Yes, given the unpopularity of the pick choices in total, the Packers need success with these picks to justify their decisions. Despite the several important needs (as most see them) not addressed, they will mitigate any criticism if the picks they did make, pan out.  On the other hand, if the picks prove to be disappointing, the criticism will double down on them.

Success of those picks in addition to the other weaknesses (not addressed) also not causing significant contributions to losing games 

26 minutes ago, cannondale said:

There are other facets as well that I have pondered lately. I'm sure MLF and Gute are praising Jesus that BPA just happened to be Mariota, Henry, and Walker Love, Dillon, and Deguara the first 3 picks. Two of those non-premium by the way, while Bak (expiring) and Wagner (band-aid) are the OT's. Also the DL was ignored .... again. And then there is CB#3 where everyone is convinced that somebody who couldn't beat out a 37 year old last year can all of the sudden be competent this year. This puts team needs for next year at OT, DL, CB. CB x 2 if King walks. That's a tall order with a full slate of FA's to re-sign and most likely very little cap space. This may work out fine, but if it doesn't then I don't think it unfair to wonder about how this thing is being built.

The three biggest needs you listed are our 3 biggest FA's. Which means our free agency for 2021 is already in the negotiation phase :)

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The three biggest needs you listed are our 3 biggest FA's. Which means our free agency for 2021 is already in the negotiation phase :)

If Bak is re-signed we still need an RT. If Clark is re-signed it's pretty common knowledge he needs help. If King is re-signed it's still very likely a CB#3 will be a need. Lots of luck needed for this thing not to bite Gute IMO. Especially if you consider Gary was always gonna be Edge #3 at best from a DL heavy draft, Dillon is RB#2 and Deguara is an H-back. 

Edited by cannondale

11 minutes ago, cannondale said:

If Bak is re-signed we still need an RT. If Clark is re-signed it's pretty common knowledge he needs help. If King is re-signed it's still very likely a CB#3 will be a need. Lots of luck needed for this thing not to bite Gute IMO. Especially if you consider Gary was always gonna be Edge #3 at best from a DL heavy draft, Dillon is RB#2 and Deguara is an H-back. 

That's literally every team though, you just know this one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

That's literally every team though, you just know this one.

No doubt. I'm just saying there were options on how the draft resources could have been used that could easily be argued as more prudent. There were options at #12 last year with Daniels expiring. I have no doubt MLF wanted to put his stamp on, or change direction with the philosophy, or however you want to put it. I don't really think there's any denying that with how this draft went down. Maybe I would do the same. Maybe any incoming coach would do the same. I'm just pointing out that some sacrifices were made to do that. RB#2 and H-back over DL or OT or CB is pretty damn risky, or selfish. We'll find out. I'll leave Love out of the equation because that's already been beat to death, but the same applies there.

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Welp... a lot of us (me) were busy handing out F minuses and Double Secret Probations to boot during the draft. Obviously to some degree most of us acknowledge the draft made real sense to Gute and MLF. Click bait media will do what it’s going to do.

But we all know that this team had a straaange, ugly 13-3 season. Most Super Bowl teams launch out of 8-11 win seasons in the prior year. We are building more than coasting and adding random goodies. 13-3 just doesn’t mean much. We’ll win two less games and probably still be a better team.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

There's a reason why nobody give a hoot about Bleacher Report.

• Like 1