Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

ESPN -  Former NFL quarterback Brett Favre is repaying $1.1 million in welfare money that he received for multiple speeches where he did not show up, the Mississippi state auditor said Wednesday.

Auditor Shad White said his office received $500,000 from Favre on Wednesday, plus a commitment that Favre will repay the other $600,000 in installments over the next few months.

Favre's effort to repay the money came two days after White released an audit of spending by the Mississippi Department of Human Services that showed Favre had been paid by the Mississippi Community Education Center, a nonprofit group whose former leader has been indicted in a welfare embezzlement scheme.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

There's a reason why nobody give a hoot about Bleacher Report.

Actually I DO listen to what they have to say. They are my preferred 'follow', during the draft.

That was why I was rather disappointed in their take, which made no mention of the direction they were going in...........it didn't mean they should like the draft, just acknowledge that the Packers were on a different track than most of the media thought. I thought it was a very shallow dive into what the team did, a fluff piece, in effect. It didn't help that Matt Miller is a 49er fan, given the Packers performance against them last year. I was disappointed with Bleacher Report BECAUSE I usually like them.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

16 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Just listened to a few minutes of Bleacher Report grading the NFCN teams. Green Bay ?

They gave them an FF (worse than an F). There was nothing much said about the different direction the Packers were headed, compared to what draftniks thought they were going to do, it was all about "They were 13-3 last year, so this is all wrong". I'm sure there are plenty of fans that will agree with them (though for myself, I am curious to see what happens).

What did you want them to say? 

IIRC, I gave the draft a "D" in the reaction thread.  There is a good possibility that our first and second round picks do next to nothing.  Our third round pick looks like an H-Back. In the fifth we added an ILB, he will definitely be in the competition.  After that we added 3 OL that won't likely play this season, a project rusher, and a safety that is probably a STs guy.  

57 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What did you want them to say? 

IIRC, I gave the draft a "D" in the reaction thread.  There is a good possibility that our first and second round picks do next to nothing.  Our third round pick looks like an H-Back. In the fifth we added an ILB, he will definitely be in the competition.  After that we added 3 OL that won't likely play this season, a project rusher, and a safety that is probably a STs guy.  

I think Dillon plays a lot as a rookie. Whether it's a "value" pick or not, Dillon will contribute because he's an NFL-ready rookie RB. 

As for Deguara, again, the "value" of the pick is debatable, but I think you can make the argument that as a rookie, he'll contribute more to this team than we've seen from a 3rd round pick in years (last five 3rd rounders: Thornton (yuck), Montgomery (okay), Fackrell (okay), M. Adams (yuck), Burks (yuck), Sternberger (injured)). 

34 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think Dillon plays a lot as a rookie. Whether it's a "value" pick or not, Dillon will contribute because he's an NFL-ready rookie RB. 

As for Deguara, again, the "value" of the pick is debatable, but I think you can make the argument that as a rookie, he'll contribute more to this team than we've seen from a 3rd round pick in years (last five 3rd rounders: Thornton (yuck), Montgomery (okay), Fackrell (okay), M. Adams (yuck), Burks (yuck), Sternberger (injured)). 

I like Dillon.  I also like Aaron and Jamaal.  I think we have a pretty good set of backs.  I do wonder how productive Dillon and Williams will be this season.  I would plan to run Aaron into the ground, let someone else pay him and take the highest comp pick we can get. 

It is, in my opinion, disingenuous to give this Packers draft a rave review at this moment in time.  This draft is made with the future in mind.  It is very unlikely that, this Packers draft has much impact on the 2020 Packers' record.  It could very well be that we think this is the best draft ever in 4 years.  But at the moment, we can only be cautiously optimistic.  This draft right now doesn't have the "sizzle," and is correctly panned for that reason.  Until they finally take the field, this draft class is going to be criticized.

5 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I like Dillon.  I also like Aaron and Jamaal.  I think we have a pretty good set of backs.  I do wonder how productive Dillon and Williams will be this season.  I would plan to run Aaron into the ground, let someone else pay him and take the highest comp pick we can get. 

It is, in my opinion, disingenuous to give this Packers draft a rave review at this moment in time.  This draft is made with the future in mind.  It is very unlikely that, this Packers draft has much impact on the 2020 Packers' record.  It could very well be that we think this is the best draft ever in 4 years.  But at the moment, we can only be cautiously optimistic.  This draft right now doesn't have the "sizzle," and is correctly panned for that reason.  Until they finally take the field, this draft class is going to be criticized.

I also think it's disingenuous to say the draft sucks at this moment in time.  Nobody knows squat what any of these picks will do.  I've seen drafts that have been declared wonderful/lights out with lots of sizzle and been then players turned out to be crap.   This is all good yakking material for those for and against this last draft ... nothing more, nothing less.   Play ball and let the chips falls as they may.

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

It is, in my opinion, disingenuous to give this Packers draft a rave review at this moment in time.  This draft is made with the future in mind.  It is very unlikely that, this Packers draft has much impact on the 2020 Packers' record.  It could very well be that we think this is the best draft ever in 4 years.  But at the moment, we can only be cautiously optimistic.  This draft right now doesn't have the "sizzle," and is correctly panned for that reason.  Until they finally take the field, this draft class is going to be criticized

There you go. If Bleacher report had said the exact same words, I'd have been happy with their review. I didn't want a rave anything from them (and I wasn't that happy with what the Packers did myself). I just wanted Bleacher Report to spend a sentence or two on what the Packers might be trying to achieve, why they drafted as they did.

15 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Actually I DO listen to what they have to say. They are my preferred 'follow', during the draft.

That was why I was rather disappointed in their take, which made no mention of the direction they were going in...........it didn't mean they should like the draft, just acknowledge that the Packers were on a different track than most of the media thought. I thought it was a very shallow dive into what the team did, a fluff piece, in effect. It didn't help that Matt Miller is a 49er fan, given the Packers performance against them last year. I was disappointed with Bleacher Report BECAUSE I usually like them.

All the power to you.  If you wanted some HS-level material, I could probably find some random blurb on the internet for you.  The problem with BR is there's no quality there.  They're all fluff pieces.  It's EASY to hate on the Packers draft, and quite frankly if you can't find the positive in a draft class you're trying not to.

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I do so enjoy being talked down to, by a moderator. Perhaps you should go looking for blurb for me, I'd probably enjoy it.

You can just get the high level blurb from CWood.  Less searching and reasonable price

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I do so enjoy being talked down to, by a moderator. Perhaps you should go looking for blurb for me, I'd probably enjoy it.

I read Bleacher Report as well as many other Packer sites for tidbits here and there.  That being said, most articles are written by somebody like you and I with opinions just like we have.  It's all fluff ... nothing more, nothing less.  Matter of fact, most articles written about the draft by any football site has no clue regarding the draft and is fluff as well.