Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Once again I called it.  You just don’t cut serviceable OL in this league.  To everyone who was calling for us to cut Linsley, Bulaga, etc over the years, let this be a lesson for you and stop doing stupid things in your mock drafts.

There are 12 teams in the league right now where Taylor would be an upgrade at guard as a starter.  If you can have that level as a backup you’re in good shape.

Packers might not have the most talent on OL, but they’re definitely among the top 5, and right now they are among the top 3 as far as depth.  

Lane Taylor may not be a sexy name or the best at his position, but he stepped in for a very good player in Josh Sitton and I haven't seen any egregious drop in production at the position. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 15412 said:

I called it too.  SO many laughed at it when I said he would be traded or retained, why would anyone cut a starting quality O-Lineman?

The Packers may have tried to move him, teams instead hoped they would indeed cut him.   This is a good retain by the Packers, and he could get moved yet.  I'd rather move Turner.

9.75 million dead cap this year, according to spotrac.  

Since we are playing the "I called it" game, I said that the Turner contract isn't very nice to the team this year.  I am interested to see if Taylor is indeed better than Turner.  

To me it doesn't make a lot of sense roster wise to have so many guards though.  They just paid Turner last offseason.  Then they draft Jenkins.  During the season, they extend Patrick.  Then they draft 3 guys that look to be interior linemen.  We also signed Zack Johnson and still have Cole Madison.  Now, not all of these guys are going to make the team.  And I would guess that Taylor and Linsley are let go as their contracts expire after this season.  Patrick and Hanson are also more of centers than guards as well.  Just seems like an awful lot of resources spent at guard, with relatively little going toward the tackle position, depth wise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

9.75 million dead cap this year, according to spotrac.  

Since we are playing the "I called it" game, I said that the Turner contract isn't very nice to the team this year.  I am interested to see if Taylor is indeed better than Turner.  

To me it doesn't make a lot of sense roster wise to have so many guards though.  They just paid Turner last offseason.  Then they draft Jenkins.  During the season, they extend Patrick.  Then they draft 3 guys that look to be interior linemen.  We also signed Zack Johnson and still have Cole Madison.  Now, not all of these guys are going to make the team.  And I would guess that Taylor and Linsley are let go as their contracts expire after this season.  Patrick and Hanson are also more of centers than guards as well.  Just seems like an awful lot of resources spent at guard, with relatively little going toward the tackle position, depth wise.

Jenkins and Turner are your starters.

You have Taylor, Patrick, and Madison as your backups and Hanson, Runyah, and Stepaniak competing for spots. All 6 make 6.2 million dollars this year. What's objectionable about that?

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Jenkins and Turner are your starters.

You have Taylor, Patrick, and Madison as your backups and Hanson, Runyah, and Stepaniak competing for spots. All 6 make 6.2 million dollars this year. What's objectionable about that?

It is a lot of competition for guard and virtually none for tackle is my issue.  I am thinking Patrick and Hanson are the centers moving beyond 2020, and I have no problem there.  I just go back to not having depth for the tackle position.  If either Bakhtiari or Wagner get injured, we are pretty boned.