Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Actually, I was talking about the two picks afterwards followed by the IOL extravaganza that happened on Day 3. I don't think that was unintentional.

Nothing is unintentional concerning the draft.

Day 3 picks are lottery tickets.  

We've got what, one or maybe 2 guys on that 5 guy line that could be here in 3 years?  Jenkins and maybe Bakh.  Yah, we needed to see if we can groom our next batch of linemen.

Look at that second round and where we were.  Any WR you'd take over the RB?  I wasn't on board initially either, because I knew nothing, absolutely nothing about Dillon.  Now that I do?  Pretty happy with that pick, especially since he fits what MLF wishes to do and that is run the ball.

The TE/H-back is still a little confusing to me, but that is only because I know that he was ranked lower on the amateur draft boards.  But, he too fits what MLF wishes to do.  And our FB is gone from the roster.  So is our starting TE.  Yah, it makes sense.

I think that you can make the case that GB blew this draft, if you believe the draft boards that were out there by guys who are not in the NFL.

But really, I think you need to look at how happy MLF and Gute looked when they made those picks.  They 100% got guys that they wanted.  And that's enough for me.  Now let's hope they can play good football.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I think that you can make the case that GB blew this draft, if you believe the draft boards that were out there by guys who are not in the NFL

You can rate drafts by "value" but even that is a rating based on the consensus of guesses as to what players ought to be good in the NFL....and those are just that, guesses. Two examples are that EVERYONE thought Reggie Bush was going to be a transcendent NFL talent, and while he certainly doesn't need to be ashamed of his career in any way, he was "merely" a solid RB. And closer to home, the consensus on Nick Collins was....there was no conensus. Some people had him as draftable, some people didn't even have him on their board, and he became a player who was performing at an All-Pro level and quite possibly starting to tick off HoF boxes when he was injured. They were drafted a year apart, but on a 20/20 hindsight "value" assignment, you would hands-down draft Collins above Bush. 

20 hours ago, vegas492 said:

But really, I think you need to look at how happy MLF and Gute looked when they made those picks.  They 100% got guys that they wanted.  And that's enough for me.  Now let's hope they can play good football.

How a coach and GM look after making their picks means nothing to me until I see any of them make a stink face about how the draft worked out.  They always say that they got the guys they wanted.  They always talk highly of the pick they made.    Even though sometimes the draft really doesn't pan out how they had hoped.   It doesn't make sense to criticize the players you just selected, even if you were hoping for something different.

None of that matters a bit.   Either they draft intelligently and improve the team as required, or they failed.  They certainly went an unconventional route.   Now their job futures depend on whether they were correct, or failed.

Between the Rashan Gary pick and this years draft they will either look brilliant, or be searching for a job.  Now we wait to find out which it is.

3 hours ago, hitnhope said:

How a coach and GM look after making their picks means nothing to me until I see any of them make a stink face about how the draft worked out.  They always say that they got the guys they wanted.  They always talk highly of the pick they made.    Even though sometimes the draft really doesn't pan out how they had hoped.   It doesn't make sense to criticize the players you just selected, even if you were hoping for something different.

None of that matters a bit.   Either they draft intelligently and improve the team as required, or they failed.  They certainly went an unconventional route.   Now their job futures depend on whether they were correct, or failed.

Between the Rashan Gary pick and this years draft they will either look brilliant, or be searching for a job.  Now we wait to find out which it is.

I agree with this to a certain point.

For example...TT.  Never high, never low.  Same face whether he got "his"guy or settled on a different guy, or just plain was constipated.  I would have hated playing poker against him.

Fast forward to Gute and MLF??  I don't see that same kind of poker face.  There was absolute elation over their first three picks.  I think I'd take them for a couple of bucks in a game of poker, whereas TT would probably own my house.

• Like 1

PackersWire - 10 Packers players with most to prove in 2020

CB Josh Jackson
ILB Oren Burks
OLB Rashan Gary
RG Billy Turner
P JK Scott
WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling
WR Equanimeous St. Brown
CB Kevin King
DL Montravius Adams
DL Dean Lowry

15 hours ago, Leader said:

PackersWire - 10 Packers players with most to prove in 2020

CB Josh Jackson
ILB Oren Burks
OLB Rashan Gary
RG Billy Turner
P JK Scott
WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling
WR Equanimeous St. Brown
CB Kevin King
DL Montravius Adams
DL Dean Lowry

IMO, Rodgers has to be on that list as well. His play has been declining these past couple of years and the Packers just drafted his replacement. A lot of people thinks he doesn't have it anymore.

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Pretty sure it's Emanuel Byrd

i was thinking maybe him but dude looks like an inch and half shorter than house. spent like 20 minutes trying to figure it out. gotta be someone that was on the PS for like a week or some ****