Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -   Want to find ways to create more 2021 Packers salary cap space? Try looking at the top of the roster. The top 5 players are scheduled to take over 50% of the 2021 salary cap, assuming it stays flat .

A.Rodgers (18%)
Z (11%)
Davante (8%)
Preston Smith (8%)
Adrian Amos (5%)

Expect some of these names to be extended, restructured, traded, or cut.

23 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -   Want to find ways to create more 2021 Packers salary cap space? Try looking at the top of the roster. The top 5 players are scheduled to take over 50% of the 2021 salary cap, assuming it stays flat .

A.Rodgers (18%)
Z (11%)
Davante (8%)
Preston Smith (8%)
Adrian Amos (5%)

I don't see any of those 5 being traded or cut.

25 minutes ago, Leader said:

A.Rodgers (18%)
Z (11%)
Davante (8%)
Preston Smith (8%)
Adrian Amos (5%)

That is just dumb. The way rosters are composed cap wise is pretty identical across the league.  Where your top 5 or 6 players will account for around 40% - 50% of the cap, where around your top 20 combined players will account for between 70% - 80% of your cap and the other 40 players you pay account for about 15% of the cap.

11 minutes ago, Tperk said:

I don't see any of those 5 being traded or cut.

Rodgers is the best candidate. You only free 4.8M, but then he's off the books for 2022.

My guess for next year:

1 Rodgers traded (expect to get a 1st+change)

2 Clark extended 4Y/75M

3 Bakhtiari extended 3Y/52M

4 Jones extended 2Y/15M

5 No clue on King, will highly depend on this season.

6 Wagner cut.

7 Lowry cut.

22 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

That is just dumb. The way rosters are composed cap wise is pretty identical across the league.  Where your top 5 or 6 players will account for around 40% - 50% of the cap, where around your top 20 combined players will account for between 70% - 80% of your cap and the other 40 players you pay account for about 15% of the cap.

Whats so dumb? You just confirmed the guys tweet.

You: Your top 5 or 6 players will account for around 40% - 50% of the cap
The tweet:
The top 5 players are scheduled to take over 50% of the 2021 salary cap

The premise of the guy's tweet was if you want to create 2021 cap space - work the contracts of the heavy hitters. The guys accounting for 50% of it. While it may not be revolutionary thinking...I dont see it as a dumb observation.

Edited by Leader

17 minutes ago, Leader said:

Whats so dumb? You just confirmed the guys tweet.

You: Your top 5 or 6 players will account for around 40% - 50% of the cap
The tweet:
The top 5 players are scheduled to take over 50% of the 2021 salary cap

The premise of the guy's tweet was if you want to create 2021 cap space - work the contracts of the heavy hitters. The guys accounting for 50% of it. While it may not be revolutionary thinking...I dont see it as a dumb observation.

I think he is criticizing the last part where it said expect these names to be extended restructured traded cut.

1 hour ago, snackattack said:

I think he is criticizing the last part where it said expect these names to be extended restructured traded cut.

Thank you, exactly that.

The original post is making out the Packers are in some unusual 'cap hell' position where they need to cut, trade or restructure to get rid of this imbalance of weighting 50% of their cap on 5 players. When actually if you look at virtually every team in the NFL their position is identical. 

18 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Thank you, exactly that.

The original post is making out the Packers are in some unusual 'cap hell' position where they need to cut, trade or restructure to get rid of this imbalance of weighting 50% of their cap on 5 players. When actually if you look at virtually every team in the NFL their position is identical. 

Okay. Fine. I disagree. As I stated I didnt take the tweeter's comment as some sort of revolutionary thought or concept. Just a tweet about how the team could find cap space by reworking the contracts of some top guys. Not a big deal IMO.

21 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I would assume a smaller cap is possible because revenue could decline significantly.

I mean the owners HAVE to eat a year right? They can't have a year where the cap is potentially cut in say half. I've seen estimates where the cap would be based on a spectatorless season and every team would have to literally cut just about everybody not on a rookie contract. It would be chaos. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wgbeethree said:

I mean the owners HAVE to eat a year right? They can't have a year where the cap is potentially cut in say half. I've seen estimates where the cap would be based on a spectatorless season and every team would have to literally cut just about everybody not on a rookie contract. It would be chaos. 

well I believe stadium revenue has never been counted. I easily could be mistaken, but I believe the cap is a % of joint revenue which is essentially TV+merch+a few other relatively minor odds and ends. If say merch sales were cut drastically, both the owners and players would eat an equal portion of that loss.