Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Beast said:

1> I'm disappointed you also didn't mention Ervin as he's been reported working at WR this preseason.

2> I still hate using such important starters such as Alexander on punt return duty. Though I think the Packers were trying out some WRs last week, and my thought was "returner" options.

3> Last preseason, it was noted that Lazard (though mainly noted on kick coverage), Lazard kept consistently getting down the field well and almost better than anyone else, I know he might be a starter, but it's less separation between him and the WRs behind him, but Lazard doesn't have speed, but he has power and agility to keep defenders off him and consistency get where he needs to be.

1> You're right, I never considered him for one moment because I unintentionally still think of him as a RB but he is definitely part of the overall speed equation. I would be interested to see where he ranks in the receiver pecking order? is he just a gadget guy or a genuine 4th or 5th choice receiver? We will find out. I can't see him getting much playing time ahead of Adams, Jones, Dillion, Lazard and MVS. I'm leaning toward gadget play and misdirection such as lining up in one formation and then suddenly peel out to form a different formation and creating a mismatch.

2> It's not ideal but I don't think its the end of the world to use starting players as returners. The Patriots proved that with Edelman despite being Brady's most trusted receiving target. DeSean Jackson and Tyreek Hill are other guys I can immediately think of.  Anyway I'm basing my theory on training camp tweets. The punt returners mentioned was Ervin, Alexander and Shepherd. With Shepherd cut Alexander by default would be the backup. As for kicks, other than Ervin we used a number of players last year when ST was really bad such as Shepherd, J.Williams and Sullivan, i'm sure it's something we don't want to go back to again. Malik Taylor is a new face who has plenty of experience returning kicks in college and as a bottom of the roster guy it makes sense he would be the back up.

3 > I would be very surprised if we continued using Lazard as a gunner. If he's going to be part of 2 WR sets then he's definitely going to be part of 3 and 4 WR sets as well. Ultimately this means he is going to be on the field for nearly ALL the offensive snaps. He's going to need to take a break in between and making him run down the field on special teams after running routes all day long seems like overkill. We need to keep his legs fresh for Rodgers.

Redmond is going to be our Bush/Janis this season and depending who's active we will have the likes of Hollman, Taylor, EQ and Scott as part of the rotation. Perhaps Jackson too if we're not running too much nickle/dime (highly unlikely lol!) That's four brand new faces alongside Redmond. This group of players overall is faster if not bigger than the group of players we had last year. Hopefully this will lead to much improved ST.

14 minutes ago, Chili said:

1> You're right, I never considered him for one moment because I unintentionally still think of him as a RB but he is definitely part of the overall speed equation. I would be interested to see where he ranks in the receiver pecking order? is he just a gadget guy or a genuine 4th or 5th choice receiver? We will find out. I can't see him getting much playing time ahead of Adams, Jones, Dillion, Lazard and MVS. I'm leaning toward gadget play and misdirection such as lining up in one formation and then suddenly peel out to form a different formation and creating a mismatch.

2> It's not ideal but I don't think its the end of the world to use starting players as returners. The Patriots proved that with Edelman despite being Brady's most trusted receiving target. DeSean Jackson and Tyreek Hill are other guys I can immediately think of.  Anyway I'm basing my theory on training camp tweets. The punt returners mentioned was Ervin, Alexander and Shepherd. With Shepherd cut Alexander by default would be the backup. As for kicks, other than Ervin we used a number of players last year when ST was really bad such as Shepherd, J.Williams and Sullivan, i'm sure it's something we don't want to go back to again. Malik Taylor is a new face who has plenty of experience returning kicks in college and as a bottom of the roster guy it makes sense he would be the back up.

3 > I would be very surprised if we continued using Lazard as a gunner. If he's going to be part of 2 WR sets then he's definitely going to be part of 3 and 4 WR sets as well. Ultimately this means he is going to be on the field for nearly ALL the offensive snaps. He's going to need to take a break in between and making him run down the field on special teams after running routes all day long seems like overkill. We need to keep his legs fresh for Rodgers.

Redmond is going to be our Bush/Janis this season and depending who's active we will have the likes of Hollman, Taylor, EQ and Scott as part of the rotation. Perhaps Jackson too if we're not running too much nickle/dime (highly unlikely lol!) That's four brand new faces alongside Redmond. This group of players overall is faster if not bigger than the group of players we had last year. Hopefully this will lead to much improved ST.

I pretty much agree except I’m not really sure what we will see with Ervin. I think he might be everywhere.  

No claims for Packers which isnt a surprise given claims in general were way down this year. Handful of guys I'd love to see the Packers still look at who were let go yesterday, any of which could probably upgrade the backend of our roster:

DL Raequan Williams

DL Xavier Williams

WR Hakeem Butler

CB Sidney Jones

ILB Shaquem Griffin

ILB Todd Davis (would be instant starter but probably more expensive)

Edited by packfanfb

Just because we had no waiver claims doesn't mean we did not put in a waiver claim. It's very possible we did and we missed out on a player named on the list because a team had a higher waiver priority than us.

I assume the priority order is same as the draft order which means the only teams we were ahead of in the order was 49ers and Chiefs.

Having said that if we were putting in a claim it would likely be a DL, ILB, CB or TE. This would cover 7 out of the 17 claimed players. Maybe we looked for corner to add to the roster when Ento is added to IR. Same for an ILB for Martin. Maybe we're unsatisfied with our DL and TE depth and looked to improve that.

Knowing Gute he must've tried something. He likes the odd dabble. xD

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

No claims for Packers which isnt a surprise given claims in general were way down this year. Handful of guys I'd love to see the Packers still look at who were let go yesterday, any of which could probably upgrade the backend of our roster:

DL Raequan Williams

DL Xavier Williams

WR Hakeem Butler

CB Sidney Jones

ILB Shaquem Griffin

ILB Todd Davis (would be instant starter but probably more expensive)

He makes way too much sense for our defense. Kinda disappointed he's not on our roster. He's better than Ramsey, Summers, or Burks...

I've just looked at Robert Foster's history. I gotta ask how does a guy who barely started, let alone produced in college make an NFL roster? His college stats are absolutely shocking. It makes his first season with the Bills even more amazing! :o

He was catching balls from Allen on a regular basis and notched up nearly four 100+ yard games and 3 TDs in 7 games. Then it all went to sh**.

He was still getting targets but only caught 2 more passes that season, then last year that bad form continued and only made 3 catches in 18 targets.

WTF happened? He had the same QB, the same offensive coordinator, the same system.

Either it was an injury that hampered him all that time or he let the "success" go to his head?

He's such an enigma. His strange college career and now his NFL career. The only explanation I can think of is his attitude and franky i'm kinda surprised Gute brought him into the Packers locker room. At least we can cut him if he makes any missteps.

Edited by Chili

12 minutes ago, Chili said:

I've just looked at Robert Foster's history. I gotta ask how does a guy who barely started, let alone produced in college make an NFL roster? His college stats are absolutely shocking. It makes his first season with the Bills even more amazing! :o

"We have so many talented guys we don't even have to play all of them" is the sort of thing that only happens at your Alabamas of the CFB world.