Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

I think we're going to call up someone from the practice squad to take the second vacant spot because we need to free up space on the PS to add Dexter Williams. Since Martin is on IR and Greene still not practicing I think we will need to add depth at linebacker, so it's likely either Galeai or Barnes. 

Edited by Chili

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

In college he was a small version of Sam Shields in the pros, man coverage all day, even if he made errors, he'd easily run you down and you simply couldn't lose him for long in man coverage because he could simply get in trail and catch up to anyone. 

Obviously that didn't continue into the pros, as he isn't physical enough, and he's so used to simply being more athletic than everyone in small schools that he actually has to learn the game better to stick in the pros. But a good mental teacher like our new DB coach is said to be, might help him improve a lot, at least if he can learn and get a bit more physical.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Norm said:

Def a giant athlete, I'm guessing it isn't that they think he can play, it's that they want one more year to see if he can start to look like a potential starter and didn't want to risk that, I actually wonder if they don't cut him at all this year. Seems to me they don't want to risk losing him.

Pretty obvious they don’t want to lose him. They kept him. Different sport but look at Giannis, took him a couple years and now he’s a star but the tools were there. Now, not saying Nijman will be a star but he has the tools to be good. 

45 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Pretty obvious they don’t want to lose him. They kept him. Different sport but look at Giannis, took him a couple years and now he’s a star but the tools were there. Now, not saying Nijman will be a star but he has the tools to be good. 

Yeah that's my feel too. I don't think he's someone they're going to piss with trying to push down to the PS because of the potential down the line. I could be wrong, but that was the convo IIRC, that he's going to be one of the first to go, I'm not so sure about that.

We can comment all we want about whether the draft should be used for Year 1 or the future, but for better or worse, if you simply go by the initial depth chart put out by the Packers, this off-season, after the Packers went 13-3 and were one game away from the Super Bowl, Gutey added: 

1. A backup RT (after losing a starting RT)

2. A starting ILB (after losing a starting ILB)

3. A third-string QB (with 1st round pick)

4. A third-string RB (with 2nd round pick)

5. A third-fourth-string TE (with 3rd round pick) 

** He also added a WR who may have ended up somewhere between our 2nd-4th WR, who then opted out and was not replaced. 

Again, for better or worse, this off-season will be (and should be) judged for/against Gute for a long time to come depending on how it all works out this year and beyond for GB. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

We can comment all we want about whether the draft should be used for Year 1 or the future, but for better or worse, if you simply go by the initial depth chart put out by the Packers, this off-season, after the Packers went 13-3 and were one game away from the Super Bowl, Gutey added: 

1. A backup RT (after losing a starting RT)

2. A starting ILB (after losing a starting ILB)

3. A third-string QB (with 1st round pick)

4. A third-string RB (with 2nd round pick)

5. A third-fourth-string TE (with 3rd round pick) 

** He also added a WR who may have ended up somewhere between our 2nd-4th WR, who then opted out and was not replaced. 

Again, for better or worse, this off-season will be (and should be) judged for/against Gute for a long time to come depending on how it all works out this year and beyond for GB. 

1 I think the RT situation is a minor downgrade at most. We will have to see on the field to determine.

2. Possible a + here

3. Or the QB of the future, just because it doesn't help NOW doesn't make it bad.

4. RB we will see how the snaps shake out over the season, but I expect Dillon to be the #2 by the end, and it could easily be Jones and Williams last year in GB both. This is another smart longer term than this year pick.

5. 4th string TE is also a bit overly dismissive. As a traditional in line TE, sure, that makes sense, but from what I expect out of the Packers offense, there will be different 2 TE sets and I think he will be involved in a few of them. I don't expect snap count to match with #4 TE traditionally.

15 hours ago, Chili said:

I think we're going to call up someone from the practice squad to take the second vacant spot because we need to free up space on the PS to add Dexter Williams. Since Martin is on IR and Greene still not practicing I think we will need to add depth at linebacker, so it's likely either Galeai or Barnes. 

Chili, what do you know about Randy Ramsey?  He was originally listed as OLB, and to my understanding still is.  But IIRC, he listed at likely only 238, which seems way out of pattern with the big OLB we've otherwise assembled.  

I guess what I'm kinda wondering:  is he still actually an OLB, or is he kinda blended in with the ILB, and could be an emergency depth guy there?  A "flexibility" ILB? 

Or is he perhaps a niche OLB, a smaller quickster to be used if they need somebody with drop-coverage speed? 

Or is even asking dumb: he's totally a ST guy, and has no fit for any snaps at ILB or OLB? 

Or is perhaps the 238 totally obsolete, and he's more 254 than 238, and isn't too small to be a pass-rush OLB?    

9 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What do you think I missed? What am I wrong about? What am I right about?

Also...  Is Dexter Williams on the practice squad or not?  Packers.com does not list him at all.  We still have Damarea listed on the PS, and Patrick Taylor is on the non-football injury list.  

Multiple beat writers have said he will be on the PS but was out of town the last few days. 

11 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What do you think I missed? What am I wrong about? What am I right about?

Also...  Is Dexter Williams on the practice squad or not?  Packers.com does not list him at all.  We still have Damarea listed on the PS, and Patrick Taylor is on the non-football injury list.  

I think a couple of the new guys are going thru a 3-day waiting period for Covid testing.  Dexter might be doing that as well since he left the state to attend to the birth of his child.  In a few days after musical roster chairs it should be set.